+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTD Decca cartridge

I'm ahto.

Default WTD Decca cartridge

another itch needing scratching now that I've found a Hadcock tone arm. those in the know seem to prefer the C4E, but anything considered really in the diachronous Decca ballpark. may need a retip.

(I have an elderly Cartridge Man Music Maker III, bought direct from Mr Gregory, which I was thinking of having refurbished, but could let go if anyone is interested in PX).
    Lenco L75 in a very heavy plinth /Hadcock 228 /London Decca Blue /Croft SMA IV Octal with separate 2020 PSU/ Croft 7R monos /Harbeth SHL5

Fletcher .3 /Hadcock 228 / Denon 103R/ Croft HeadAmp /Croft Mega Micro II (2015) /Croft Series 5 MkIi /Markaudio SOTA Cesti B

Leak Troughline III GTA / Vecteur D-2.2 / Wadia 121 / Katana, Isolator & RPi /RFC & AntiCable

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Given a Decca's fast attack and excellent reproduction of the leading edge of a musical waveform - the term tachychronous might be more appropriate.

Good luck with the search.
    Barry

I'm ahto.

thank you. i'll be excpecting the Decca to emit tachychron particles.
    Lenco L75 in a very heavy plinth /Hadcock 228 /London Decca Blue /Croft SMA IV Octal with separate 2020 PSU/ Croft 7R monos /Harbeth SHL5

Fletcher .3 /Hadcock 228 / Denon 103R/ Croft HeadAmp /Croft Mega Micro II (2015) /Croft Series 5 MkIi /Markaudio SOTA Cesti B

Leak Troughline III GTA / Vecteur D-2.2 / Wadia 121 / Katana, Isolator & RPi /RFC & AntiCable

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by eksiil View Post
    thank you. i'll be excpecting the Decca to emit tachychron particles.
    Particles or Waves???

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

I'm ahto.

damn. I think I meant tachyon particles. getting rusty.

I'm ahto.

still no joy. C4E preferred, but will consider newer iterations.

I'm brian.

Quote Originally Posted by eksiil View Post
    still no joy. C4E preferred, but will consider newer iterations.
    Nothing on the bay ?. Which reminds me mine needs sending off for attention.

I'm Robert.

Decca here, Dont think it's a C4E, dont know what these ones are like ... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114158409908
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    Decca here, Dont think it's a C4E, dont know what these ones are like ... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114158409908
    It's a Decca Mk. V. It is fitted with a spherical stylus.

Whether or not it is better than a Mk. IV is somewhat moot as the Mk. VI (and Mk. V) correct some of the shortcomings of the Mk. IV (the C4E and SC4E) but at the same time have their own design flaws.

As with all Decca cartridges you have to find a good sample (the sample-to-sample variation is enormous) and then let your ears decide. But if you can find a good sample and take care with the installation and set up, you will be rewarded with one of the most exciting and involving performances, that no other cartridge I know of can provide.
    Last edited by Barry; 30-04-2020 at 17:55. Reason: Error corrected
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

That example looks silver to me.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast