+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mains hydra design question

I'm Phil.

Default Mains hydra design question

Hi folks , ive been looking at improving the mains connections to my equipment , at the moment everything is using basic kettle leads , i like the idea
    of the hydra , but not soldered , so im thinking about a wooden box made from beech 50mm diameter by 200x200 external diameter , now i want to use ring terminals and posts , and use a piece of 6mm tufnol that fits inside the box , drill 4 6mm holes in the tufnol spaced accordingly , ive a great
    crimp that wont come off and could solder also , 1 cable coming in 6 going out to wattage iec plugs , each component has an internal fuse , ive done the same with my crossovers , can anyone see any problems with this , only you never see this with mains , but i see it on 72v dc fork trucks all the time , some pics so you get the idea , the tufnol would be the isolation and the wooden box stopping you touching any live terminals . phil.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Phil.

I'm Dominic.

The one issue I have with hydra type mains junctions is that there is a 13amp fuse in the mains plug that connects with the incoming mains, yet each output usually needs a 5 amp fuse or less. If for example you have 6 outlets at 3amps draw each (18 amps in total), you have already exceeded the 13amp fuse's loading rating.

That means if any of the mains output leads develops a fault then current will continue to be drawn until the main 13amp fuse ruptures, which could result in a fire due to the heat being generated within the mains input lead.
    CD player = Marantz CD6006
    DAC/pre = Rotel RC 1572
    Power amp = ADA PF201
    Speaks = Quadral Chromium Style 6

I'm Phil.

Thanks for your thoughts , but i think the trip in the fuse board would go first , also you could have 10 extension leads on the go there is nothing saying you cant do that, thanks again for your input . phil.
    Phil.

I'm stuart.

Quote Originally Posted by nonuffin View Post
    The one issue I have with hydra type mains junctions is that there is a 13amp fuse in the mains plug that connects with the incoming mains, yet each output usually needs a 5 amp fuse or less. If for example you have 6 outlets at 3amps draw each (18 amps in total), you have already exceeded the 13amp fuse's loading rating.

That means if any of the mains output leads develops a fault then current will continue to be drawn until the main 13amp fuse ruptures, which could result in a fire due to the heat being generated within the mains input lead.
    If you use 13A cable throughout the hydra then a 13A fuse is all you need and meets requirements.
    The fuse in the plug is to protect the cable, nothing else.
    Using any hydra/multi-adaptor you need to check you are not exceeding the maximum current - so no connecting 6 x 3kW heaters to a 6 way hydra as it's going to blow the fuse but it won't cause a fire.
    Garrard 401, Jelco 750 with Shuggie, Ortofon 2M Black / ZYX Yatra 100, Project Phono RS with Sigma22 Linear PS, RPi3 + DigiOne + Linear PS, RPi3/1Tb SSD with PiCorePlayer + Linear PS, Perreaux Eloquence 250i 40th Anniversary with ES9038Pro DAC, DCG3 Pre-Amp, Neurochrome 8x2 Pre-Amp, Neurochrome 686 Power amp, Benchmark DAC2 HGC, Primare V25 CD player, Monitor Audio PL300, Sjostrom DCT03 DC Blocker.

I'm Phil.

Thanks for your help and advice , i would have thought the current would be low , in any case if it was high it would be blowing the fuse now , ill probably use belden
    cable with the drain wire , i just dont see the point in buying 6 expensive plugs and sockets , also dont need 2 fuses to protect each unit , apparently its best to keep the negative shortest so if the cable gets pulled the negative lets go first , i personally think the terminal post is great you dont damage the ends and you can add or remove without hassle plus its neat , you just dont see it on mains , i wondered if there was a reason for that , phil.
    Phil.

+ Reply to Thread