+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pioneer A400 golden oldie?

I'm Julian.

Still using my A-400 with my original Monitor Audio 14s and a turbocharged Pro-Ject Essential in my second system (office). Bought it back in about '93 or thereabouts I think form memory. Used it and the speakers for a number of years until I could afford to move up the hi-fi ladder, then I gave them to my best mate to use. He had them and used them right up until the beginning of last year, and when he treated himself to some new kit, he let me have them back again! The amp and speakers are doing sterling service, OK yes the phono stage really isn't all that but overall the sound is far better than you might expect.

I'm Mike.

I find it funny that people are surprised at an older amp like this or any other piece of HiFi equipment from 20, 30, 40 or even 50 years ago sounding good, it's not rocket science folks it's just good design, well made with quality parts, the HiFi industry have obviously told us the opposite, that new stuff is better but the fact is it just isn't and in many cases modern stuff is inferior. Good gear is good gear whenever it was made period!

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    I find it funny that people are surprised at an older amp like this or any other piece of HiFi equipment from 20, 30, 40 or even 50 years ago sounding good, it's not rocket science folks it's just good design, well made with quality parts, the HiFi industry have obviously told us the opposite, that new stuff is better but the fact is it just isn't and in many cases modern stuff is inferior. Good gear is good gear whenever it was made period!
    I think we are told that the more accurate the sound the better it is, truth is older equipment has a much more pleasant sound to my ears, Maybe it’s the aged components or higher distortion figures on old amps?

I always wondered what the term “warm” sounding meant but after listening to some old receivers I think I now understand

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123