+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pioneer A400 golden oldie?

Default Pioneer A400 golden oldie?

Just bought an old A400 to start my daughter's hifi journey. (I had an A300r Precision way back).

Anyway, hooked it up to my big Usher floorstanders and oh my goodness! They sound glorious together. Bass, soundstage in all directions and detail is wonderful.

I am a bit gobsmacked actually. My usual amp is a big valve 845 beasty which I love but am scratching my head as to which I prefer.

The only negatives are the mediocre phono stage and no remote.

So this is why it was a giant killer - matched with way more expensive kit it sings.

Now having to re-appraise my system.
    Kev.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty67 View Post
    Just bought an old A400 to start my daughter's hifi journey. (I had an A300r Precision way back).

Anyway, hooked it up to my big Usher floorstanders and oh my goodness! They sound glorious together. Bass, soundstage in all directions and detail is wonderful.

I am a bit gobsmacked actually. My usual amp is a big valve 845 beasty which I love but am scratching my head as to which I prefer.

The only negatives are the mediocre phono stage and no remote.

So this is why it was a giant killer - matched with way more expensive kit it sings.

Now having to re-appraise my system.
    Yes I remember a friend having one and very impressive it was, I was not aware until I looked but it is in this list https://www.whathifi.com/features/be...i-fis-lifetime
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Yes I remember a friend having one and very impressive it was, I was not aware until I looked but it is in this list https://www.whathifi.com/features/be...i-fis-lifetime
    Just had a look at the list - I've heard an Audiolab 8000A and Primare A30 at length and owned a Marantz ki. The phono stage in the Audiolab was excellent I thought. Didn't care for the Primare but my friend who owned it loved it! I found the KI disappointing (lacked grunt) but again was probably system dependant.

Now I need to find a modern day equivalent with remote capability. Another nice touch on the A400 is the balance control integrated into the volume knob. Apparently these can be troublesome but if you have one with jssues don't despair as Audiocom used to install replacements but unfortunately without balance capability. A nice feature though to fine tune for room acoustics.

Old amps now but this must be the epitome of a golden oldie that can sound ridiculously good connected to top end kit.

I have now linked it up to my valve phono stage and sounding lovely.
    Kev.

I'm Martyn.

Just had a look at the list - I've heard an Audiolab 8000A and Primare A30 at length and owned a Marantz ki. The phono stage in the Audiolab was excellent I thought. Didn't care for the Primare but my friend who owned it loved it! I found the KI disappointing (lacked grunt) but again was probably system dependant.

Now I need to find a modern day equivalent with remote capability. Another nice touch on the A400 is the balance control integrated into the volume knob. Apparently these can be troublesome but if you have one with jssues don't despair as Audiocom used to install replacements but unfortunately without balance capability. A nice feature though to fine tune for room acoustics.

Old amps now but this must be the epitome of a golden oldie that can sound ridiculously good connected to top end kit.

I have now linked it up to my valve phono stage and sounding lovely.
    Who's is it now then?

Sent from my motorola one using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Poldark View Post
    Who's is it now then?

Mine at least until lockdown over!��
    Kev.

I'm Martyn.

Mine at least until lockdown over!��
    Pretty feable excuse if you ask me, nasty cough you've got there, perhaps she would be best to give you at least another 12 weeks!!!

I'm Mike.

And the A400 can sound even better with a few tweaks under the hood, i had one a while back had it re capped along with a couple of other things the only thing like you said is the lack of a remote.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    And the A400 can sound even better with a few tweaks under the hood, i had one a while back had it re capped along with a couple of other things the only thing like you said is the lack of a remote.
    Very interesting, where did you have the mods done? Maybe pm with details and costs if you don't mind?
    Kev.

Quote Originally Posted by Poldark View Post
    Pretty feable excuse if you ask me, nasty cough you've got there, perhaps she would be best to give you at least another 12 weeks!!!

Just getting over the severe cough I kid you not. Take care!!!!!!
    Kev.

I'm Mike.

Very interesting, where did you have the mods done? Maybe pm with details and costs if you don't mind?
    My late step dad and i did it, he was pretty handy with that sort of stuff, but i believe there is a schematic with values of the amp on this site somewhere as well as a discussion about the best things to do.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast