+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which one to upgrade: cart. or phono stage?

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    I love how you are so disbelieving.

I have been designing valve phono stages for the last 7 years so I know a bit about performance.
    My design incorporates unique design factors. Retail prices include a lot of marketing and manufacturing overheads.

If you choose not to believe me it's your loss. I'm not exaggerating.

Addendum.
    It will bear all this lot, Whest , Tron , Trilogy also Graham Slee
    HI,
    Very Nice.
    I might be very interested in one of your phono stages it certainly looks the business, However I have just bought a Clearaudio phonostage basic+ which sounds very good, Do you think your new design will be significantly better? Do you have a photo of the finished product and any idea when they will be rolling out?
    I have an Audio Technica AT-ART9 MC Phono Cartridge on a Pioneer wand.
    HI-FI SYSTEM:-
    Revox B250 Amp.
    Revox PR 99 mk2 R2R.
    Revox B126 C/D Player.
    Yamaha GT2000 T/Table with Shure MKIV Cartridge and Jeco VN-45HE SAS/R Stylus.
    Bang & Olufsen Beolab18's and the 19 Sub Speakers.

A/V 5.1 System :-
    Soundsend Wisa box.
    Harmen Kardon front and rear satellite.
    Legend 10.2 Silverback Active Centre.

I'm Alan.

Now you're talking, Paradise and Vida are extremely good stages. How much would a Paradise retail for if it was a commercial offering?

You are now in the £4k bracket and the Bigbottle phono stage isn't an 'upgrade' as you put it, I do take offence.
    Why can't you accept that there are very talented 'one man band' designers out there.

You need to hear one against your two examples, I guarantee you would be surprised.

I'm Slav.

Now you're talking, Paradise and Vida are extremely good stages. How much would a Paradise retail for if it was a commercial offering?

You are now in the £4k bracket and the Bigbottle phono stage isn't an 'upgrade' as you put it, I do take offence.
    Why can't you accept that there are very talented 'one man band' designers out there.

You need to hear one against your two examples, I guarantee you would be surprised.
    OK then , if you have boards I'll buy set - send me PM with price and I build one .

I'm Andre.

Didnt know you could just buy the PCB's!

I'm jamie.

to be fair alan thats a moot point as the paradise was/is a design done via DiyAudio, a collaborative effort the same as yours and oli's is.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Slav.

It's not disbelieve , I caught you telling b.... then you start bending reality Neo.
    Paradise I built with custom made engraved acrylic panels , Vishay resistors , silver core wiring , etc... cost me around £1200 , Vida s/h is around £1800 , £1500 if lucky .
    Whest PS20R , Trilogy 906/907 , Graham Slee Accession are not miles behind , I heard all of them at home .
    Secondly I actually disbelieve in ability of some people to tell difference in sound , as a example I stumbled upon a thread on forum you attached link to, two guys meet compare Paradise and that stage of yours , few days later Kontrapunkt cartridge they've used happens to be beyond repair with bit of metal stuck in the coils , doesn't it all put their findings into the perspective .
    Thirdly it is not design done via DIY Audio , your buddy started selling boards on there but never published the circuit and refused to do so .
    As I said I am ready to buy set of boards and build it , test it and compare with my existing stage , my vinyl setup is quite accurate with +/- 1.5dB frequency response , THD @300Hz ~1% , @10kHz ~2.5%

I'm Slav.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman16 View Post
    Thanks Slav. I may put a budget for a phono stage around £1k (new or s/h). Im not a techie guy so diy is a no for me. I have a few in mind like: Tom Evans microgroove+ x/ Pathos in the groove/ Gold Note PH10/ Vertere phono1
    Another phono stage you can try at home is Ryan Sound Lab , is doing rounds on PinkFish , has quite good feedback from those who tried it

I'm Slav.

also Arkless released his iteration of drT , home trial could be done through PFM as well

I'm guy.

NVA phono 2 with two power supplies?

https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...MM-Stage/page3
    LP12, Ittok (black), DV10X5, NVA Phono 2 (twin supply), NVAP50, Art Audio Quintet 15w power amp, NVA LS5 cable, Rega Ela mk1's.
    Sony CDP XB930.

I'm David.

Mr Firebottles recommendation is sound as is Guy's NVA 2 in the above post. With the NVA you can purchase with one power supply and upgrade later with one more. They do have to be either MM or MC. I use one with two power supplies and think it's a great phonostage. Nice turntable by the way. Transrotor would definitely be on my short list should I ever upgrade.
    Are you going for the standard version or any of the upgrades. I would love to hear it with the TMD Bearing

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast