+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Which one to upgrade: cart. or phono stage?

I'm Jayson.

Quote Originally Posted by mac72 View Post
    which model of Jelco it is ?
    Your cartridge should be good for another 300 hours before it starts exhibiting some level of distortion , why not try existing phonostage and cartridge on new turntable , spend some time setting it up and see what you don't like about
    I think its the Jelco SA 250

I'm Slav.

Jelco SA 250 has effective mass of 18g if I'm correct , your Quintet Black weights 9g and has compliance 15 x10-6 - you are going to be slightly below 8Hz resonance - not ideal but I'd try if works if doesn't look for cartridge with compliance not higher than 10x10-6 and leave phonostage upgrade for later

I'm Jayson.

Jelco SA 250 has effective mass of 18g if I'm correct , your Quintet Black weights 9g and has compliance 15 x10-6 - you are going to be slightly below 8Hz resonance - not ideal but I'd try if works if doesn't look for cartridge with compliance not higher than 10x10-6 and leave phonostage upgrade for later
    The one on its way is like this.

https://www.classaaudio.com.au/produ...turntable.html

I'm Slav.

TR800 S is a modified Jelco tonearm but I have no idea about it's effective mass , if you have test record you could check yourself if not ask Transrotor

I'm Slav.

Nice turntable btw

I'm Slav.

If you decide to buy new cartridge I'd look at ZYX R50 Bloom , same compliance but much lighter body , should work fine with your tonearm . don't cost a fortune and sounds very good but bit different sound signature then your Ortofon

I'm Jayson.

Nice turntable btw
    Thanks Slav. I may put a budget for a phono stage around £1k (new or s/h). Im not a techie guy so diy is a no for me. I have a few in mind like: Tom Evans microgroove+ x/ Pathos in the groove/ Gold Note PH10/ Vertere phono1

I'm Slav.

Definitely S/H , I'd add Whest , Tron , Trilogy also Graham Slee - register on their forum and you could get home loan of Accession MC .
    1k is sort of bit too much and at the same time not enough , there is lots of good second hand phonostages in 1.5k mark , try if your Quintet works before you spend any money .

I'm Alan.

at least you're funny
    I love how you are so disbelieving.

I have been designing valve phono stages for the last 7 years so I know a bit about performance.
    My design incorporates unique design factors. Retail prices include a lot of marketing and manufacturing overheads.

If you choose not to believe me it's your loss. I'm not exaggerating.

Addendum.
    It will bear all this lot, Whest , Tron , Trilogy also Graham Slee

I'm Slav.

I just mention couple phonostages I own/owned - Paradise and Aurorasound Vida and straight away your 4k mark theory is a bit laughable - say no more .
    And yes you're exaggerating every time you "upgrade" something , no offence .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast