+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Which one to upgrade: cart. or phono stage?

I'm Jayson.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
    How does it sound?
    Hi John, Well first impression awesome! Thanks
    Musical Fidelity AMS 35i / Electrocompaniet EMC 1UP / Transrotor ZET 3 + Konstant M1 Ref. psu / Jelco TK-850S / Hana ML / Bigbottle mk3 phono stage / KEF Reference 3 / Auralic Mini / Chord Qutest / Isotek Aquarius / Sbooster mkII psu

Mains cables: Viablue X40 mains cable + Furutech NCF plugs + SR Orange fuses
    Speaker cables: MIT AVt MA
    Interconnects: MIT AVt MA / MIT Matrix 12 / Zavfino Majestic tonearm cable
    USB:Curious
    Rack: Solid Tech Hybrid
    Accessories: IsoAcoustics Orea Indigo + Bronze / Gaia II / SDS soundeck

I'm Karl.

Default Which one to upgrade: cart. or phono stage?

Hey mate glad to hear you are enjoying the new stage. I listened to your clip on AA forum and it’s making some sweet sounds.

Just thought I would add that this is a SERIOUS phono stage for the money involved. £1250 for a fully built top spec job with all the best sounding parts and components available for the job, all ultra matched to 0.1% tolerance or better, latest JFET upgrade board ,top spec Clairty Caps and telefunken valves . And if you are handy enough you could build one yourself for a fair bit cheaper. I took a leap of faith and it paid off .

I had the latest whest 2.2 with improved discreet stage which some believe to be the best sub 2k phono around (and it’s 300 quid more expensive ) and was worried that it would be a bit of a sideways step at best as it’s a lovely phonostage, but, the new BB3 is in a different league. I’d guess you would have to go at least a step or possibly two up the Whest ladder to get this type of performance and then you are taking 3k+

It throws a deeper wider soundstage, more details , and you really hear the production of the tracks and how they are layered more. It’s quite remarkable for the outlay and a real bargain. I would recommend it in a heartbeat .

I swapped back and forth a few times and it was quite clear each time that there was a significant difference (even the missus could tell and she’s usually deaf to my Hifi changes) so I put the Whest up for sale the next day and haven’t looked back. I’m really enjoying the BB3 and from what I’m reading around , everybody else is too. There are also a handful of people that now think it beats their own paradise stages, but I can’t comment on that as I’ve not had the pleasure of hearing one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

I'm Jayson.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbird View Post
    Hey mate glad to hear you are enjoying the new stage. I listened to your clip on AA forum and it’s making some sweet sounds.

Just thought I would add that this is a SERIOUS phono stage for the money involved. £1250 for a fully built top spec job with all the best sounding parts and components available for the job, all ultra matched to 0.1% tolerance or better, latest JFET upgrade board ,top spec Clairty Caps and telefunken valves . And if you are handy enough you could build one yourself for a fair bit cheaper. I took a leap of faith and it paid off .

I had the latest whest 2.2 with improved discreet stage which some believe to be the best sub 2k phono around (and it’s 300 quid more expensive ) and was worried that it would be a bit of a sideways step at best as it’s a lovely phonostage, but, the new BB3 is in a different league. I’d guess you would have to go at least a step or possibly two up the Whest ladder to get this type of performance and then you are taking 3k+

It throws a deeper wider soundstage, more details , and you really hear the production of the tracks and how they are layered more. It’s quite remarkable for the outlay and a real bargain. I would recommend it in a heartbeat .

I swapped back and forth a few times and it was quite clear each time that there was a significant difference (even the missus could tell and she’s usually deaf to my Hifi changes) so I put the Whest up for sale the next day and haven’t looked back. I’m really enjoying the BB3 and from what I’m reading around , everybody else is too. There are also a handful of people that now think it beats their own paradise stages, but I can’t comment on that as I’ve not had the pleasure of hearing one.

Hi Karl,
    Thanks for your input mate. Yes Im enjoying the BB3 sound even for the first few days of owning it. I think Oli mentioned you to me which also inspired me of getting one. It’ll probably get even better after a few weeks of running in lol..Cheers!
    Musical Fidelity AMS 35i / Electrocompaniet EMC 1UP / Transrotor ZET 3 + Konstant M1 Ref. psu / Jelco TK-850S / Hana ML / Bigbottle mk3 phono stage / KEF Reference 3 / Auralic Mini / Chord Qutest / Isotek Aquarius / Sbooster mkII psu

Mains cables: Viablue X40 mains cable + Furutech NCF plugs + SR Orange fuses
    Speaker cables: MIT AVt MA
    Interconnects: MIT AVt MA / MIT Matrix 12 / Zavfino Majestic tonearm cable
    USB:Curious
    Rack: Solid Tech Hybrid
    Accessories: IsoAcoustics Orea Indigo + Bronze / Gaia II / SDS soundeck

I'm Karl.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman16 View Post
    Hi Karl,
    Thanks for your input mate. Yes Im enjoying the BB3 sound even for the first few days of owning it. I think Oli mentioned you to me which also inspired me of getting one. It’ll probably get even better after a few weeks of running in lol..Cheers!
    Great stuff , and yes as with most things , it does open up after a few hours of burning in.

Mine took about two weeks of being on every night for several hours to hit its peak but it was great from the get go.

Alan and Oli have done a great job so I thought it would be nice to give them some recognition too.

CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345