+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which one to upgrade: cart. or phono stage?

I'm Jayson.

Default Which one to upgrade: cart. or phono stage?

Im currently using an Ortofon Quintet black-s cartridge and Pro-Ject tube box ds phono stage.Which do you think I should upgrade first?

Thanks

I'm Alan.

Most certainly the phono stage.

Check this one out, you won't get better unless you spend mega money, even then it's doubtful.
    https://audioaddictsforum.com/thread...es-more?page=3

I'm Jayson.

Thanks. I need to get more suggestions from others who are not on trade.

I'm Martin.

Can't really advise (which is of no use, I realise that) but as and when I upgrade my phono stage I'll be struggling to see past a Tron Convergence. Might be worth having a look at...

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman16 View Post
    Im currently using an Ortofon Quintet black-s cartridge and Pro-Ject tube box ds phono stage.Which do you think I should upgrade first?

Thanks
    Firstly how long have you had the Quintet and how many hours has it done? As I understand it, it is a fairly neutral and detailed cartridge, but it can be tricky to setup right. So if it has plenty of life left, then I would not necessarily replace it.

The Pro-Ject tube box ds is a pretty well respected and versatile phono stage from a matching point of view, if you were to replace it then I think you might need to consider spending quite a lot more to improve on it, it also probably compliments the Ortofon quite well.

What arm/turntable do you have as your choice in cartridge will be impacted to an extent by this as well?

Finally what are you hoping or looking to improve in sound etc?
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Slav.

Thanks
    What's the tonearm ?
    Quintet Black is a good cartridge but requires careful setup as Shibata stylus is quite demanding and I'm not talking about VTA only , to get something substantially better you're looking to spend over 1k . Question is how old is the Quintet , does it need replacing ? if not I'd look at changing phono stage as it seems to be weakest link.

I'm Jayson.

I use the Quintet black cart and phono stage with Project Rpm5 carbon deck. Probably less than 200 hrs used. But there’s a new deck on the way with a tonearm like this (Jelco)?
    Last edited by Iceman16; 09-04-2020 at 16:59.

I'm Alan.

Thanks. I need to get more suggestions from others who are not on trade.
    That isn't a trade connection, it is a design done via DiyAudio, a collaborative effort.
    You, or others, can build one for under £400 and you won't get better performance below £4k retail.

I'm Slav.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    That isn't a trade connection, it is a design done via DiyAudio, a collaborative effort.
    You, or others, can build one for under £400 and you won't get better performance below £4k retail.
    at least you're funny

I'm Slav.

I use the Quintet black cart and phono stage with Project Rpm5 carbon deck. Probably less than 200 hrs used. But there’s a new deck on the way with a tonearm like this (Jelco)?
    which model of Jelco it is ?
    Your cartridge should be good for another 300 hours before it starts exhibiting some level of distortion , why not try existing phonostage and cartridge on new turntable , spend some time setting it up and see what you don't like about

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast