+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suitable SUT or Head Amp for SPU #1

I'm Allthatwasisorwillbe.

Default Suitable SUT or Head Amp for SPU #1

I’m thinking of purchasing a SPU #1 to scratch an itch, in trying a MC cartridge. I don’t really know about either SUT’s or Head amps, so unsure what would be suitable.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Budget is around £2-300
    I can stretch a bit further if it would be warranted.

Some specs on the SPU

Internal impedance, DC resistance – 2 ohm
    Recommended load impedance > 10 ohm
    Last edited by kininigin; 08-04-2020 at 18:33. Reason: For clarity of budget
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    TECHNICS 1200 MKII_JELCO 750D_SHURE SC35C (with NOS and NEO SAS styli)
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO
    PARADIGM REFERENCE ACTIVE/40'S
    PARADIGM SERVO 15 SUBWOOFER X 2

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

I'm Martin.

I have an Ortofon Type 2-15K SUT made specifically for these cartridges if you fancy that. Way cheaper than £600 too :-)

Edit, sorry £6-700 was the full amount but still way in budget regardless....

I'm Hugo.

In short, most 20x ration SUTs will be suitable for SPUs, and by far the best results I've had here have been with SUTs rather than MC headamps, but clearly some are better than others. I can only talk about those products which I have heard or which I sell. Easily the best fixed ratio SUT that I've heard is the Phasemation T-300, which at £550 does not quite fall in the quoted price range for cartridge and step up, but it is a pretty amazing performer by any standard, let alone its relatively sensible price; the Ortofon ST-7 is designed for SPUs and other Ortofon stereo cartridges and is a little cheaper at £450 - it is a decent performer but the Phasemation does give quite a bit more musical bang per buck.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty38 View Post
    I have an Ortofon Type 2-15K SUT made specifically for these cartridges if you fancy that. Way cheaper than £600 too :-)

Edit, sorry £6-700 was the full amount but still way in budget regardless....
    Thanks for the offer, will pm you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonite Audio View Post
    In short, most 20x ration SUTs will be suitable for SPUs, and by far the best results I've had here have been with SUTs rather than MC headamps, but clearly some are better than others. I can only talk about those products which I have heard or which I sell. Easily the best fixed ratio SUT that I've heard is the Phasemation T-300, which at £550 does not quite fall in the quoted price range for cartridge and step up, but it is a pretty amazing performer by any standard, let alone its relatively sensible price; the Ortofon ST-7 is designed for SPUs and other Ortofon stereo cartridges and is a little cheaper at £450 - it is a decent performer but the Phasemation does give quite a bit more musical bang per buck.
    Thanks for the suggestions, they sound interesting, although as you say slightly over budget. Still not entirely sure about going the MC route as I’ve never heard one and will be a fairly substantial outlay for a punt on something. It is an itch I want to scratch though, so why not go for it I say.
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

I'm Martin.

Pm replied to.....

So Martin has kindly offered his Ortofon sut to me at an attractive price but have also noticed a Fidelity Research FRT-3 for sale as well. Would that also suit the SPU #1 and if so, how do the two SUT's compare?
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO

I'm Paul.

Had a SPU G with Garrott Brothers stylus and the FRT-3 & STM-72 at hand as well as other SUT's/head amps due to at the time being knee deep.... Near 15 years ago but I preferred the STM between the two as the FRT-3 rolled off the higher frequency.... The STM also had more gain if my memory serves me right....
    EMT 930ST
    Garrard 301/3009 MK1
    Micro Seiki MR-711/MA-202L
    Stax SRA-3S MM phono amplifier
    Nagra BPSv2 phonostage
    BigBottle BB3 Phonostage
    Telefunken Bv.42-01 Transformer
    Hashimoto HM-3 Transformer
    Braun CC4 Transformer
    Ortofon Spu Synergy
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Miyajima Waza
    Denon 103SA
    Audio Technica AT33 Mono
    IFI Pro Linestage
    PYE HF12 KT66 Monoblocks
    Uchida Sun Audio SV-300BE
    Crimson Elektrik CS1500
    Quantum Electronics 202D
    Marantz 1060 Integrated
    Western Electric Line Transformer
    Yamaha CDR-HD1500
    Tannoy 15" Bespoke

Quote Originally Posted by Miller View Post
    Had a SPU G with Garrott Brothers stylus and the FRT-3 & STM-72 at hand as well as other SUT's/head amps due to at the time being knee deep.... Near 15 years ago but I preferred the STM between the two as the FRT-3 rolled off the higher frequency.... The STM also had more gain if my memory serves me right....
    Interesting, I guess the Ortofon SUT should match well with their own cartridges.

I have a few more questions regarding the SPU, how do you adjust overhang?

Will it be a decent match with my Jelco arm?

If I go for either SUT, what other cartridges would go well with them, if for instance I’m not liking the SPU and would like to try a different MC?
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by kininigin View Post
    Interesting, I guess the Ortofon SUT should match well with their own cartridges.

Oh yes.

You don't really.

The 750D arm to pivot length is 214mm. The ideal for an SPU (on a 9" arm anyway) is 212mm. I wouldn't expect 2mm to make a lot of difference, especially if you get a spherical tipped one.

If I go for either SUT, what other cartridges would go well with them, if for instance I’m not liking the SPU and would like to try a different MC?
    I tried my Benz through my Ortofon SUT and it worked very well, though the Lentek head amp gives it mopre oomph. YMMV quite a bit TBH.
    Nottingham Analogue Spacedeck / Kuzma Stogi S / Benz Micro Ace S L
    Lenco L-75 / Carl Ellis Plinth / Ortofon AS-212 / Ortofon SPU Classic GM E MkII
    Ortofon ST-7 SUT / Nick G Modded Lentek Head Amp / Croft RIAA

Cambridge Audio CXU / Theta DS Pro Prime

Classé Model 30 / Luxman M-383

Usher Compass X-719

May contain opinions that others find disturbing.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

You don't really.

The 750D arm to pivot length is 214mm. The ideal for an SPU (on a 9" arm anyway) is 212mm. I wouldn't expect 2mm to make a lot of difference, especially if you get a spherical tipped one.
    The Ortofon SPU was designed to be used in Ortofon arms, where presumably the correct overhang and offset angle was achieved. Because of that, there is no provision to adjust the overhang within the headshell of SPU cartridges. If an arm other than one made by, or for, Ortofon is used, then the alternative arm needs to have a sliding bedplate at the arm pivot end. SME have this facility (as do a very few others). The sliding bedplate allows one to alter the turntable spindle to arm pivot distance, and in doing so the overhang and ofset angle are adjusted at the same time.

Thus one can, in principle, use an SPU in a non-Ortofon arm. However there is a futher subtle complication: in an Ortofon SPU cartridge the stylus to headshell bayonet flange distance is 52mm. With all other headshells having the EIA bayonet fitting, the cartridge stylus to bayonet flange distance is assumed to be 50mm. That is where the 2mm discrepancy comes in, leading to slightly incorrect arm-cartridge geometry. Whether one can hear the results of this discrepancy is a somewhat moot, but I would prefer to achieve correct arm-cartridge geometry in the first place.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast