+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SL-1200GR - cart choice advice etc.

I'm Greg.

Default SL-1200GR - cart choice advice etc.

I seem to be playing a lot more vinyl lately, what with the lockdown. I like my Pro-Ject X1 with its included 2M Pick-It cart (funny, my mum always said ‘Don’t pick it!’) but have been thinking of upgrading to a better MM cart. A friend recommends the Goldring 1042.

However, I’ve been thinking about possibly going for a new SL-1200GR as the prices look very tempting right now. I could add a good MM upgrade at the same time too. I’ve looked at the SL-1200G with a Jelco arm upgrade, but really shouldn’t spend that much, even though it does look to be a great deck. Can anyone comment on the quality of the 1200GR? I had the SL1500C and it was a serious letdown on build and sound.

I’m using a Croft Integrated Phono, so need a decent MM with the 1200GR. I had a Nagaoka MP500 a few years ago which I liked a lot, but could do with spending less really. I listen to mostly Jazz and Electronic music on vinyl and my speakers are Harbeth M30.1. Finally, if I buy a cart and the deck and need to set it up myself, could I just use the Technics overhang tool to line up the stylus or would I need extra protractors etc?

Any views guys?
    Analogue: Thorens TD 124/II - SME M2-9R - Ortofon SPU Wood A - Sculpture A Mini Nano
    Digital: Roon Nucleus - Limetree Network
    Amplifier: Naim NAIT 50
    Speakers: TBC

I'm Kevin.

Why don’t you try a new cart first? Something like an Audionote IQ1, 2 or 3.
    If buying the SL1200, I would try the standard arm first before changing it. Plenty of reviews around on the new SL1200, and I believe they suggest the better one to go for is the more expensive model. Have a read to avoid disappointment.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Greg.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    Why don’t you try a new cart first? Something like an Audionote IQ1, 2 or 3.
    If buying the SL1200, I would try the standard arm first before changing it. Plenty of reviews around on the new SL1200, and I believe they suggest the better one to go for is the more expensive model. Have a read to avoid disappointment.
    I don’t think I’d be able to align a cart on the Pro-Ject properly, but I like the idea of detachable headshells because from what I’ve read you can just buy a cart/headshell combo as one piece and plug it in. Much less fiddly.

I doubt I’d go for the Jelco arm at this stage as it’s an extra expense. Maybe as an upgrade in the future? I agree about the SL1200G, it does seem like a step up but the price is much higher compared with the deals available on the GR - even though I’d probably be very happy with the G.

Finally, could I ask your advice on cart/headshell combos? I’ve just been reading about the 2M PNP range which are complete pick-up heads for use with the 1200 series arms. I’ve never been very enthused about the 2M range but I’ve not heard the Bronze or Black, which do seems to have their fans.

The other type of seen are Audio Technica cart/headshell combos, which are available at lower prices than the 2M PNP range. I wonder if these preset pick-up heads are set to the 52mm required for correct alignment on the Technics? Also, I’ve seen a few Nagaoka cart/headshell combos that might be good. Again, I don’t know if they’re set to 52mm or not.
    Analogue: Thorens TD 124/II - SME M2-9R - Ortofon SPU Wood A - Sculpture A Mini Nano

I'm Matt.

Greg, what happened to the Rega?

I'm Greg.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_J View Post
    Greg, what happened to the Rega?
    The Planar 8/Apheta 2? Sold it a while back. I got stressed owning something so expensive and fragile and my partner wasn’t keen on it looks wise. We both thought it sounded fantastic though.

The Pro-Ject X1 has been much calmer to live with and sounds pretty good, better than the ropey SL1500C I home demoed. I’d just like to go a bit further than the X1 and try a SL1200GR. It seems impossible to find out whether these cart/headshell combos are set for a Technics arm or not. Eg. are the Audio Technica ones set up for their new DJ decks or the 1200? From what I’ve read the AT and Technics arms are not the same measurement.

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by Wegamus View Post
    Finally, could I ask your advice on cart/headshell combos? I’ve just been reading about the 2M PNP range which are complete pick-up heads for use with the 1200 series arms. I’ve never been very enthused about the 2M range but I’ve not heard the Bronze or Black, which do seems to have their fans.

The other type of seen are Audio Technica cart/headshell combos, which are available at lower prices than the 2M PNP range. I wonder if these preset pick-up heads are set to the 52mm required for correct alignment on the Technics? Also, I’ve seen a few Nagaoka cart/headshell combos that might be good. Again, I don’t know if they’re set to 52mm or not.
    I don’t use detachable headshells like the ones used in the SL1200. My tonearm does not take them. As such I can’t help.
    I am not a fan of the 2M Black though, but that is personal preference.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Simon.

Hi Greg,

I don't know if its of use but i did a write up on the new 1200GR vs modded 1210 here
    https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...old-skool-1210
    I go into a bit of detail on the deck.

Never heard a 1200G but at some point would love to own one, but out of my price brcket at the moment.

In terms of the cart alignment i think the Technics stylus protractor is totally fine and obviously makes things much easier. Just make sure you are careful in checkng that the stylus tip lines up with the mark - a scalpel blade is useful for that if its flat against the reference point.

I think the 2M PNP range is not only massively overpriced but also not in alignment with the technics 52mm. Don't quote me on that but in any case its easy enough to do it yourself. I have also tried using the Baerwald system which works very well but that needs a stylus protractor.

By the way i also have an immaculate 2M bronze for sale with only 25 hours, boxed with all accessories in case you are interested.

Simon

+ Reply to Thread