+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Great turntable mat for £1.19

I'm Gavin.

Default Great turntable mat for £1.19

I'm not a great fan of tweaking but I thought this might be fun to try. I've been using the same well known mat for some years and I've always been happy with it. My tweak was to buy some polyurethane stick-on dots and attach them to the glass platter on my Rega planar3. I didn't expect a surprise result, surely this had been tried before. It was more than a surprise. I listen mainly to classical music and found that suddenly in big orchestral works there was no congestion, instruments were well separated, especially in the bass. I thought the sound I was getting before was pretty good but now everything was much cleaner. The mat I had sells for around £65, these dots cost £1.19 post paid from ebay. It was a serious upgrade, I would post a picture if I could figure out how to. Worth a try and nothing to lose, you can easily remove them.

I'm Alan.

Provide a link to the dots and I'll upload a picture.

I'm Gavin.

Hi Alan,
    I guess I'm just too old, I can't sort out how to load a picture. I'm not even sure that not answering to my own thread here.
    Regards
    Gavin

I'm Rob.

Titan definition: 1. a person who is very important, powerful, strong, big, clever, etc. Get a grip man!
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Rob.

I've used MCRU Pressure Points which sound similar. I thought they were good. Certainly as good as the cork mat they replaced. However, the Collaro Audio mat that I now have is noticeably better but a lot more expensive.
    Rob.
    Powered by crossed fingers and clenched buttocks

I'm Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by ReggieB View Post
    I've used MCRU Pressure Points which sound similar. I thought they were good. Certainly as good as the cork mat they replaced. However, the Collaro Audio mat that I now have is noticeably better but a lot more expensive.
    Forgive me for re-opening an old thread. I've just been looking at trying out the MCRU Pressure points, so found this post interesting. I currently use the Collaro mat on my Sondek, and it certainly sounds better than the standard Linn mat. Being felt, however, it's still prone to some static (I do wash my records before the first play) but when I swap out the Collaro mat for a cork or leather one, I'm back with the Collaro within half an hour. It sounds that good!
    That said, I always wonder if I can have this sound without the static. In fairness, the static isn't horrendous and is very occasional, but we seek perfection lol. I do wonder if the vinyl-mix has an impact on the amount of static a certain record produces...but that's another discussion perhaps. Anyway, the pressure dots idea intrigues me.
    So...to my question... How removable are these 'dots'? I don't mind paying out to try these things, as that's the only way I'll get a definitive impression of their sound quality, but I'm slightly hesitant as their tackiness will attaching to the bare metal platter on the LP12 and what I fear is residue once the dots are removed.
    I suppose this raises a second question: are these dots reusable?

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by ReggieB View Post
    Collaro fan here too, big jump over stock Rega mat.
    Not cheap as you say though, but the improvements worth every penny.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

+ Reply to Thread