+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: An experiment in amplification

I'm Dennis.

I agree, it is a bit 'messy' and there are more interfaces.

I'm Shaun.

Thank you guys. I could of course take the passive preamp option but I don't like them either, however the last time I used RCA attenuators was with a Croft pre/power and the damn things worked a near bloody miracle.

Not sure here but I'd rather pay out 40 quid than 400. If I use the attenuators though I'm guessing that it will be on the CDP output..?

I'm Martin.

I tried attenuators when I had Croft and whilst they worked in that they did let me get the volume off zero with CD without blasting me to death they also reduced sound quality.

If you've still got them, try them. Otherwise I have some here (somewhere) I could post to you. You can get a passive pre for £40, I think that would also be worth a try.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Dennis.

Yes the CD is the one which most likely needs attenuation.

My main consideration with a pre is flexibility, what I need to connect/route, tape source selection, (no of I/Ps), and intrinsic sound quality.

With a passive a separate vinyl capability is needed, but many preamps have an adequate vinyl I/P.

I'm Shaun.

When I had the Croft pre/power I used Goldenjacks -14db attenuators on the input to the power amp and at that time they gave a huge improvement in sound quality to my ears. On top of that they enabled a much better response from the dual volume pots but what was really needed was -20db attenuator. I think that is what is needed here and as long as I don't use the vinyl input I suspect that there will be quite an improvement. Of course if I buy a pair of attenuators and try them I can also try them on the CD input to the preamp. I have only really ever used the Creek passive preamp which in my experience sucked the life out of the sound and left it for dead.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    You can get a passive pre for £40, I think that would also be worth a try.
    OK, that is really good and very cheap.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    When I had the Croft pre/power I used Goldenjacks -14db attenuators on the input to the power amp and at that time they gave a huge improvement in sound quality to my ears. On top of that they enabled a much better response from the dual volume pots but what was really needed was -20db attenuator. I think that is what is needed here and as long as I don't use the vinyl input I suspect that there will be quite an improvement. Of course if I buy a pair of attenuators and try them I can also try them on the CD input to the preamp. I have only really ever used the Creek passive preamp which in my experience sucked the life out of the sound and left it for dead.
    You have different power amp now though. It's all about the matching.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Mike.

Just packed my valve amp - S500 - to be sent away for servicing. The only thing I have to listen to now a Harmon Kardon HK6500 I had in my attic, plug it in, first thing I thought was wow, music comes to life, soundstage! May'be I should pack the HK away for servicing?
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Shane.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Just packed my valve amp - S500 - to be sent away for servicing. The only thing I have to listen to now a Harmon Kardon HK6500 I had in my attic, plug it in, first thing I thought was wow, music comes to life, soundstage! May'be I should pack the HK away for servicing?
    If it sounds good. Leave the bloody thing alone.

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by southall-1998_mk2 View Post
    If it sounds good. Leave the bloody thing alone.

S.
    +1
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast