+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: An experiment in amplification

I'm Kevin.

My latest experiment with Amplifiers has taken me to the Neurochrome Modulus 86. A class AB amplifier.
    I am very impressed with it, so much so I am starting to build the Modulus 686. It was either this, or a Benchmark AHB2, but they are like unicorn droppings second hand.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Grant.

Been using Pro amps for years. The fans you get used to tbh, or you can either mod to run slower or change fans to silent versions if it bugs you
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Mike.

Well they are designed to be rack mounted in an enclosure with a whole load of other stuff, Grant is correct though you can swap them out for something a bit less noisy

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Dennis.

Refreshing to see a valve man try a class D amp, and to praise it.

The problem I have, and I hope many will agree, is that the differences are not easy to evaluate.

Which one is nearer accurate? Does the valve omit something genuinely there on the recording which the D shows, or does the D add something which is an artefact?

I'm sorted.

I used a bridged pair of XLS1500s for a while. They produced a sound whilst instantly likeable got tiresome in time, the sound seemed to lack substance.

I'm Shaun.

Phil, regarding the fans, no you can't hear them unless you are within maybe three feet of the amps.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    Refreshing to see a valve man try a class D amp, and to praise it.

The problem I have, and I hope many will agree, is that the differences are not easy to evaluate.

Which one is nearer accurate? Does the valve omit something genuinely there on the recording which the D shows, or does the D add something which is an artefact?
    Now then Dennis, a very interesting point and one I have addressed before. How do you define accurate when your music is synthesised and electronic..?

Your point is I think that both apply. The valve amp has the most wonderful vocal sound but is, I think, totally inaccurate. There is a sense of realism that is almost breathtaking but little or no ultra low frequencies so crucial for electronic music. The Class D amps on the other hand have what appears to be power over the entire frequency spectrum. It is almost as if the valve power is running a band pass filter allowing only midrange sounds to pass. The Crown amps clearly add something to the sound and vocals are not realistic as in the case of the valves but the Crown amps are just so exciting to listen to and clearly include the things that the valve amp struggles with.

Foregoing the accuracy thing though which is more exciting to listen to..? Very obviously the Crown amps. A while ago I was convinced that I had lost my 'connection' with music and mentioned to Sue, my other half that I may sell up the entire music system. The sound was just not as I remembered it. Well it is now. I now have back that sense of connection, the very feeling that music creates in your head. That sort of 'Jesus that was good' kind of feeling.

Is it 'hi-fi'..? I don't give a shit if it is or isn't. Hi-Fi suggests a connection with reality..? What is the reality of synthesised music being put through a hulking great PA system because without the PA system there would be no sound at all. So, flat, undynamic sound or fast paced OMG listen to that type of sound..?

I gave up on the one-up-man-ship of hi-fi years ago but really did love the valve sound. I think I tired of that sound without even realising it. Something has changed and I think it is me.

I'm Rohan.

If people want to find these kind of amps easily (pro audio), here are some sites to check out (just search them).

dv247

gear4music

gak

andertons

All good reputable shops with excellent service and online ordering/delivery.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy S View Post
    I used a bridged pair of XLS1500s for a while. They produced a sound whilst instantly likeable got tiresome in time, the sound seemed to lack substance.
    Roy, not sure what you mean by substance but my Crown amps definitely lack a sense of refinement when compared to my valve pre/power setup. Ultimately though I just cannot listen to electronic music that has little in the way of bass extension and bass slam and power. Surely music should make you feel motivated and excited in the way a nightclub would..? If not then why are we listening..? OK, if your requirement is for chilled out classical with no sense of irritation then maybe a valve system would be spot on. There are times when I do not want gut thumping low frequencies and I don't at the moment know how I will deal with that but for now I do still have the PrimaLuna power.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by VanDerGraaf View Post
    If people want to find these kind of amps easily (pro audio), here are some sites to check out (just search them).

dv247

gear4music

gak

andertons

All good reputable shops with excellent service and online ordering/delivery.
    Gotta say that I love Gear4Music in York.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast