+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: An experiment in amplification

I'm Shaun.

No Martin it's not pissing me off but it kicks out so much heat that it has been a difficult listen for the last few weeks. If anything, I'm getting pissed off with the musical choice out there at the mo. The whole scene is so restrictive. I had the hots (geddit) for the Usher since I first spotted one on the net around ten years back so it made sense for me to buy this one when it came up as available. It is bloody lovely but being picky, it is very polite and laid back. No doubt I'll get used to it. Or maybe

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    No Martin it's not pissing me off but it kicks out so much heat that it has been a difficult listen for the last few weeks. If anything, I'm getting pissed off with the musical choice out there at the mo. The whole scene is so restrictive. I had the hots (geddit) for the Usher since I first spotted one on the net around ten years back so it made sense for me to buy this one when it came up as available. It is bloody lovely but being picky, it is very polite and laid back. No doubt I'll get used to it. Or maybe
    I too feel that the music scene at them moment is pretty dire.

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Peter.

Howdy,

The Crown I'm familiar with were made in the USA and we used them for PA (before Bryston). They were wonderful in the day but these can't be the same??

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker-Smith View Post
    Howdy,

The Crown I'm familiar with were made in the USA and we used them for PA (before Bryston). They were wonderful in the day but these can't be the same??
    Same basic idea, lots of power and robust - https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...-review.16211/

No idea how they compare to the vintage ones though.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Peter.

Yup same company, I found them online. Still sold as commercial amplification. I'm love to listen to the new ones.

Cheers,
    Peter

I'm Shaun.

I once had a listen to a pair of Cerwin Vega speakers. Huge amount of breath taking fun but not really hi-fi. The Crown amplifier I had was quite similar, highly enjoyable but no sense of refinement. Massive bass power and so much fun on the correct kind of music but ultimately very tiring. I now have exactly the opposite.

I'm Martin.

Are you still using Spendors Sean?

I liked the Cerwin Vegas I heard many years ago but they were an old model even then. I'd hazard a guess and say that most of what people don't like about them is down to poor source and amplification. They don't tend to be bought by people with 'serious' systems.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Shaun.

Martin, the little Spendors had to go. I replaced them with KEF R5's in February of last year. Shortly after that I sold my Prima Luna gear and bought a Fidelity Audio Pre120 SE preamp and the Usher R1.5 power. The sound is extremely good with a reservation about how polite it all is. Sounds bloody wonderful on female vocal and jazz. Come to think of it, it sounds quite good with Paul Weller also (Stanley Road). Electronic music like Zero 7 had more treble definition with the Spendors. I am about to have another music sesh so I'll try out the three main Zero 7 albums. I bloody love their music.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    I too feel that the music scene at them moment is pretty dire.

Could it actually get any worse ? What the hell has happened ?

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Could it actually get any worse ? What the hell has happened ?
    I ask myself that question every year... But it somehow gets worse, breaking all expectations of crappyness.

Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast