+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: An experiment in amplification

I'm Shaun.

Try to quantify "honesty in music reproduction" for a piece of music created via VSTi plugins on a Mac.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Have now used the Usher with the PrimaLuna valve preamp and the Lightspeed LDR passive pre powered by batteries. The LDR absolutely obliterates the PrimaLuna in just about every aspect. The LDR allows the system to display an enormous amount of reverb/acoustic ambience with a much better bass presence. Bass power and 'thud' is much greater and vocals have no falseness to them. Biggest drawback..? No phono input (cozz you never know do you..?)
    Lightspeed, and stereo coffee 3 input LDR compared here: https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/top...eo-coffee-diy/
    and latest board here: https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/top...eamp-redesign/

I'm Chris.

Try to quantify "honesty in music reproduction" for a piece of music created via VSTi plugins on a Mac.
    Honesty up to the point of the fact you know the sound is changed or treated that way, if not to your preference then don,t use such plugins.
    A recording like this: https://www.rarenoiserecords.com/art...ncesco-guerri/ connects the artist with his audience effectively & as it seems, with little in the way.

I'm Martin.

Honest..? The word is not really applicable to electronic music. What is the honest sound of a Gibson Les Paul..? What is the honest sound of an ARP Odessey..? The sound changes with every device you play it through. Most music these days is buggered up one way or another by some piece of software such as Ableton so what constitutes honest in electronic music..? Does it really matter..?

No. That's why I said 'but that's by the by.'
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    No. That's why I said 'but that's by the by.'
    You did didn't you

I'm Dennis.

Historically honesty has been used to describe the behaviour of people towards each other, for eg., that a representation in words or writing do not misrepresent the reality which they describe. Being faithful to the original, or having fidelity to the original.

When used in a description of sound it surely must follow the latter, and by doing so conveys accurately and completely what the artist intends.

I'm Shaun.

Quite possibly the last update on this thread but I have now been using this system for a couple of weeks.

CD input only, Zero 7, Mr Scruff, Tina Arena, Daft Punk, Shpongle and loads more.

Result..? Bloody wonderful sound akin to a very gutsy valve amp. The bass is not quite as obvious as the Crown amps but has good weight and slam. The mid is just so good. Treble is sublime but only when the amp is warm. Stereo image..? Massive and extremely well defined. Overall sound is refined and powerful. At last..!

Who's a happy old Hector

I'm Geoff.

Glad it worked out well Shaun. I'm jealous now!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

That's great, really pleased for you.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Shaun.

OK you guys, given that the input impedance for the Usher is 67kOhms, what would be a suitable output impedance for a passive preamp ? Asking for a friend

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast