+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: An experiment in amplification

I'm Shaun.

Default An experiment in amplification

Crown XLS1002 by Shaun Haselden, on Flickr

An experiment in amplification:

Some of you will know that I have been largely valve powered since 1997 when I had built a World Audio Design 300B PP power amp which I used with a World Audio Design KLP-1 preamp. There have been a few changes since then but four years ago I settled on a PrimLuna Prologue 3 preamp and Dialogue Premium power amp. The power amp runs EL34's by JJ in the form of the II's and the preamp is all JJ. Up until two months ago I used a pair of Spendor S3/5R2's but happend upon a dealer who was quick to demo a pair of KEF R5's, a make I have a fondness for having used KEF Q500's for a number of years.

Some of you will also know that my choice of music is around 90% electronic. So what the hell am I doing with a 40 Watt valve amp..?

As an experiment I just happened to buy a Crown XLS1002 Class D power amp of around quite a lot of Wattage and high damping factor relative to the valve amp. I was convinced that a £320 tranny amp was going to be just a toy when compared to a £2.5k valve power amp but my mind was set slightly adrift by the sound of this thing. First impression..? Huge bass grip and slam. Big dramatic dynamics. Clear precise, finely etched sound. Crystal clear high frequencies.

I experimented again and bought another. Bridged and mono'd, once again the sound was extremely good only now I had this immense 3D stereo soundstage. I have never before heard a soundstage so massive since starting this journey in 1979. I have now tried CD's by Shpongle, Younger Brother, Underworld and Mr Scruff through to Tina Arena and Ezio. So how good is it all..? It is bloody good for an outlay of 640 quid..! Yeah, it has a few shortcomings. There is a classic lower treble/upper mid grain that tranny amps tend to produce so it does not have the liquid purity of valves but then of course, its not valve ! The sound is bold, brassy, clinical and forceful; everything it should be with electronic music. Does it suit everything I listen to..? No. It does not. So what about the valve power amp..? It is currently for sale on ebay. If it sells it sells, if it doesn't then I get to keep it. I win either way.

The valve amp suits jazz and female vocal more than anything else I listen to. In triode mode playing Cassandra Wilson's 'Strange Fruit' the sound out of the R5's is just bloody sublime but it lacks emotion and drive. It lacks that emotive anticipation that I now have. However things end up at the moment I have once again been bloody lucky to try this out. The difference has been amazing.

I'm Mandeep.

Nice to hear of a valve aficionado trying class D (and liking it).
    Where did you find the Crown amps, they must be rare?

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mand View Post
    No you can still buy Crown, they have them on Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crown-XLS-1...s%2C158&sr=8-3
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Mike.

Crown make some good pro amps we use em a lot at work you're right though they don't have the finesse of valves but they certainly pack a punch.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Shaun.

Yes Mike they certainly pack a punch. Lovely strong slam and fast dynamics but nowhere near the finesse of the valve power.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Mand View Post

That one is still a current model, they are part of Harman JBL group which was bought outright a couple of years ago by Samsung

I'm Shaun.

Mandeep so easy to get hold of but maybe not at the price I paid.

I'm Mike.

If anyone wants any pro gear btw drop me a line

I'm Phil.

watched a video of the crown amp vs the xtz a3 class d amp . very interesting to read your thoughts shaun , you have summed it up well

2 weeks ago had the mighty silbatone 109 valve hybrid here, wow , that is enthralling with vocals , SO real and what a pleasure to try it with the horns and tannoys for a week

P1060943 by , on Flickr

pic here with the smaller asx 50 icepower monoblocks

these icepower monoblocks sound really good for the money , [ a fraction of the silbatone !!] . they are certainly nowhere near as good with vocals but with many other genres they are just delightful . powerful , warm , engaging

so last week got a bel canto ref500s class d power amp [2.5k] , that is also similar but the live sound with the taus is very engaging indeed. again , nowhere near as good the silbatone on vocals but with many other genres its captivating . using this with a bel canto pre 3 vbs which gels so well with class d amps

P1060997 by , on Flickr

glad the crown is doing so well , just shows you don`t have to be rich to enjoy great sound
    Last edited by hifinutt; 06-04-2020 at 01:47.
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Phil.

one thing shaun , can you hear the fans ? we use some american amps in a pro audio set up elsewhere and the fans are very very noisy !!!
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast