+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about FM Tuner

I'm Alex.

Any windows computer with windows on and radiosure (free) installed.

http://www.radiosure.com/downloadz/downloadz-select/
    Spendorman

I'm guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Made in 1968 View Post
    I think Digital radios sound cack anyway..

So then, ive not been a radio fan in the past but can you still pick up FM Analogue stations? I thought not, maybe the reason tuners either dont sell or go for peanuts exception to collectors pieces
    There were plans to stop FM broadcasts in 2018 but that has ben cancelled - I think it was meant to happen once DAB listeners outnumbered FM, but the BBC/government hadn't taken in to account the number of car radios
    LP12, Ittok (black), DV10X5, NVA Phono 2 (twin supply), NVAP50, Art Audio Quintet 15w power amp, NVA LS5 cable, Rega Ela mk1's.
    Sony CDP XB930.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by guy View Post
    There were plans to stop FM broadcasts in 2018 but that has ben cancelled - I think it was meant to happen once DAB listeners outnumbered FM, but the BBC/government hadn't taken in to account the number of car radios
    Just turned on a car radio in my Dad's Metro Vanden Plas, Dad passed away in 1991, amazing, radio worked, and even more amazing, with a bit of fresh petrol and a new battery, engine ran too.
    Spendorman

I'm Andre.

Quote Originally Posted by guy View Post
    Apparently the say is they wont stop broadcasting Standard Definition TV Broadcast cos way too many OAP do not have HD TV's. Dunno where i heard that shite but more than likley it cost too much to broadcast everything in HD.

I'm Paul.

Mind you with all the Digital channels only using a fraction of the allowed bit rate so they can squeeze more and more poor quality channels in I am more than happy to stick with FM.

Obviously that probably does not affect the Internet Radio Stations but it has a big hit on the quality of DAB, many only manage around 50kbps and sneak in as mono as well, even Mp3 betters that sort of quality, and you know how we complain about mp3 at 360kbps.

I suppose we will see a resurgence in FM and the price of tuners will go through the roof like Cassette players did when they were rediscovered.

Glad I got my Yamaha Receiver when I did, £6 on FleaBay
    Current setup Thorens TD-160 Mk1 with Denon DL-110 MC Cartridge, Pioneer PD-8700 CD Player, Yamaha AX-592 Amp, Yamaha CDX-810 CD Player, Yamaha KX-480 Cassette Deck, Yamaha TX-492RDS Tuner, Monitor Audio Bronze 5 speakers, Van-Damme Cables throughout.

I'm Andre.

Cranks my case when they show things in 4:3 Ratio to make the crap Picture quality look better.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Made in 1968 View Post
    Cranks my case when they show things in 4:3 Ratio to make the crap Picture quality look better.
    So you would rather have old films shot in Academy format stretched to fill the 16:9 format screens?
    Barry

I'm Dennis.

My opinion of FM SQ has been revised today after listening to Johnny Walker and wife from 1500 to 1700 doing Sounds of the 70s.

They are doing it from home currently, but of course there must be some technical friggery to enable this, and that may be an issue in SQ.
    However for the last two weeks the quality has been so good that I think, although unlikely, it may even better my CD replay quality, and certainly from the immense pleasure today I am now convinced that my expensive speakers are very good.

Their voices are better from their home than usually is the case from the studio, beautiful sibilants, no bass proximity - maybe JW is applying his better knowledge and experience at home than is usually applied by BBC staff.

The only concern I have is that it may have been a tweaked signal in some way, so that what I am listening to is not a fair comparison with a flat unprocessed signal.

I'm guy.

^^^ I listened to that while cooking - really enjoyable program
    LP12, Ittok (black), DV10X5, NVA Phono 2 (twin supply), NVAP50, Art Audio Quintet 15w power amp, NVA LS5 cable, Rega Ela mk1's.
    Sony CDP XB930.

I'm Brian.

Thanks for the replies. I ended up getting a NAD 4020A locally and seems to be doing the trick. Just using the OME wire type aerial. Good enough for my needs.
    B

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast