+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about FM Tuner

I'm Brian.

Default Thinking about FM Tuner

Hello,

I'e been thinking about getting a cheap tuner to hook up to my modest hi-fi. Won't be looking for anything fancy as I won;t be having an external aerial etc...just the old fashioned wire thing for inside the house.
    Any pointers
    Thanks
    Brian

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgie View Post
    Hello,

I'e been thinking about getting a cheap tuner to hook up to my modest hi-fi. Won't be looking for anything fancy as I won;t be having an external aerial etc...just the old fashioned wire thing for inside the house.
    Any pointers
    Thanks
    Brian
    If you have broadband get an Amazon Echo Dot, you’d have a tremendous spectrum of radio stations to listen to and no need for an aerial.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z View Post
    If you have broadband get an Amazon Echo Dot, you’d have a tremendous spectrum of radio stations to listen to and no need for an aerial.

Ah okay. Can I play that through my hi-fi?

I'm steve.

Default Thinking about FM Tuner

Ah okay. Can I play that through my hi-fi?
    You certainly can, all you need is a stereo minijack to to 2 RCA connecting cable, make sure the minijack plug on the cable is slim as the socket on the Echo Dot is recessed, I use an Echo Dot in my bedroom system it's a great source for streaming, I subscribe to Amazon Music Unlimited for £3.99 a months but you'll get access to radio stations for free. For £24.99 the Echo Dot is a very worthwhile addition to any hifi.
    A cable like this is what you need.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/312577298114

I'm Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z View Post
    You certainly can, all you need is a stereo minijack to to 2 RCA connecting cable, make sure the minijack plug on the cable is slim as the socket on the Echo Dot is recessed, I use an Echo Dot in my bedroom system it's a great source for streaming, I subscribe to Amazon Music Unlimited for £3.99 a months but you'll get access to radio stations for free. For £24.99 the Echo Dot is a very worthwhile addition to any hifi.
    A cable like this is what you need.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/312577298114

Thank for the idea. However, there is slight issue with this. I should have maybe explained the whole situation. One of the radio stations I want to hear is a local community radio station with...
    Hardly any signal power, and mostly only available in the town where I live.
    My sister and a fiend have tried to get it on her dot, but the Dot doesn't recognise the dialect....a bit like this....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNuFcIRlwdc lol
    I can find it on radio garden on my phone, but the streaming from the station has a tendency to drop out a lot. this may also be the case with the Dot

However, I'm tempted to try the dot as my sister has one and it works well for her on many other levels.
    thanks for the idea.

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Brian don't know if it helps but I purchased a Denon TU-260L II tuner ages ago which I use with an indoor ribbon aerial and it works a treat. They come up on eBay often for about £20 which is a bargain I reckon

I think there are others on here that also own them as it was recommended to me when I was looking
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm guy.

As above - funnily enough I am listening to a TU-260L at the moment (kitchen/diner system), although I do use it with an external aerial.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Denon-TU-...YAAOSwz8tedqXg

looks good and seller has 100% feedback
    LP12, Ittok (black), DV10X5, NVA Phono 2 (twin supply), NVAP50, Art Audio Quintet 15w power amp, NVA LS5 cable, Rega Ela mk1's.
    Sony CDP XB930.

I'm Anto.

I hooked my other halfs Amazon Echo into my amp. The only gripe I have is ,it sounds a bit thin in places ,and I dont know the bit rate but suspect it is a bit poor though a Hi Fi?
    In other words ,you dont notice it as much through the Dot speaker but it becomes more obvious through your hi fi !!

Am I right in thinking this?? Or is the inferiority of the inbuilt DAC ?
    Last edited by Oddball; 10-04-2020 at 14:17.
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

I'm Andre.

I think Digital radios sound cack anyway..

So then, ive not been a radio fan in the past but can you still pick up FM Analogue stations? I thought not, maybe the reason tuners either dont sell or go for peanuts exception to collectors pieces

I'm Dave.

Hello,

Any pointers
    Thanks
    Brian
    Check the reception in your area. It may not be great. You might have to get a really good one, and proper aerials to get good results. It can be rather patchy in Scotland.
    Dave

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast