+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Balanced DCB1

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Dominic.

Default Balanced DCB1

Covid confinement has at least given me time to get on with projects that have languished in cupboards for a while. The dcb1 is working in balanced mode for the first time this morning and thankfully without any ground hum issues. Still quite a lot to sort out - some tricky metalwork for the volume display/controller and I still need to figure out the best way to get a 5V power supply inside the box (any suggestions? This is only my second build).
    https://imgur.com/gallery/EcvOZWf
    Last edited by Domg; 04-04-2020 at 13:27.

I'm Martin.

Separate box for the power supply?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Dominic.

Separate batteries just now, but as 5V DC PS only needed for volume control and display I’d like to include it in the enclosure. The traffos step down to 12V AC - not sure if I could step down from these to 5VDC or if it’s best to keep supplies separate.

I'm Rob.

Stonking build there Dominic. I really like the enclosure. I can only access one pic from the Imgur link and it is difficult to see what sort of power supply you already have in there. I don't know if you ever heard of the Teddy Pardo Teddy Regs and Power Regs that were the rage about 10 years ago. There is info on the PFM forum.

I mention these only that as a result of enforced confinement I have been playing with these for the first time since I built them. I have just added a Power Reg to a DIY ClassD amp and the results are very impressive. The Teddy Reg (not Power) were for Dacs, Preamps and other less demanding stuff.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Dominic.

Tricky metalwork completed over last couple of days. Just the internal power supply for the display still to do.
    https://imgur.com/user/hanoidom

I'm Dominic.

I'm george.

awesome looking build, what was the incentive to go balanced?
    i have the same board running SE, with a relay stepped attenuator,
    if it's for non audio and low power, i use these, https://cpc.farnell.com/myrra/47152/...reg/dp/TF01429
    you can get regulated and un-reg,
    tiny, and direct mains to 5V DC,
    great for control as they are so neat and self contained,
    i just solder it to veroboard, and use the verobaord to mount the take off pins and mounting points.
    they seem well made with no spurious interference etc. i guess a bit of copper tape over the top wouldn't hurt, or even a transformer can, but i'm using some without and no issues at all.

I'm Dominic.

H
    Quote Originally Posted by grog View Post
    awesome looking build, what was the incentive to go balanced?
    i have the same board running SE, with a relay stepped attenuator,
    if it's for non audio and low power, i use these, https://cpc.farnell.com/myrra/47152/...reg/dp/TF01429
    Thanks for suggestion, they look perfect.
    Going balanced was partly just curiosity. My mono blocks are next to the speakers with the other components off to one side. It all worked ok, but did need 4.5m long interconnect cables and I wondered if these might work better balanced.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Domg View Post
    H
    Thanks for suggestion, they look perfect.
    Going balanced was partly just curiosity. My mono blocks are next to the speakers with the other components off to one side. It all worked ok, but did need 4.5m long interconnect cables and I wondered if these might work better balanced.
    I use a pair of monoblock power amplifiers, each located directly behind the speakers (so the speaker cables are about 30cm in length). The monoblocks have balanced-line inputs and are connected to the preamplifier (which has true dual differential balanced outputs) via 15m of balanced-line cable running under the floor.

Works for me, so I would recommend you try it out in your system Dominic.
    Barry

I'm Martin.

That is amazing, love the resistors on the volume pot.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast