+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Good, cheap and under appreciated music source.

I'm steve.

Default Good, cheap and under appreciated music source.

Hifi is an expensive hobby (usually) and it’s possible to pay a great deal of money for any item in the music reproduction chain. Occasionally though you can come across a little jewel which sounds great and is dirt cheap. Since November 2018 I’ve been using such an item in my second tier bedroom setup, I’m talking about the Amazon Echo Dot, purchased for the princely sum of £24.99 and probably the cheapest source you could have in your setup. Dismissed by a lot of people as just another smart speaker, often assuming as it’s a single speaker that it outputs in mono, on its own it does, but the auxiliary output socket is stereo.
    Since I’ve been using it I’ve been amazed just how good the sound quality is, considering the price the DAC chip inside it probably cost about 50p or less. Since getting it I’ve been subscribing to Amazon Music Unlimited which for single item use is just £3.99 a month, I believe it outputs 320kbps AAC. To my ears the sound quality it produces is pretty well indistinguishable in most circumstances from Apple Lossless music files coming from my iMac. I’ve never investigated whether it’s possible to stream any other providers such as Spotify or Tidal as I’ve never failed to find any music I want to listen to on Amazon Music. With the ease of use voice activation gives I think it’s a worthy addition to anyone’s hifi setup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Adrian.

A great simple and cheap way into streaming, a good tip Steve.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Steve.

For the last couple of years I've been running an Echo Dot through a used Amptastic Mini-1 (£70) into a mint pair of Celestion 5s (£20) with decent results. Nice cheap second system, permanently switched on and used for anything from weather forecasts to Weather Report albums. This little set up is staying put
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    For the last couple of years I've been running an Echo Dot through a used Amptastic Mini-1 (£70) into a mint pair of Celestion 5s (£20) with decent results. Nice cheap second system, permanently switched on and used for anything from weather forecasts to Weather Report albums. This little set up is staying put
    Nice, very cheap and simple setup. I used an Amptastic Mini 1 in my second tier system for quite a while and found it excellent driving my QA Concept 20s but parted with it before the Echo arrived.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Steve.

What I like about the Mini-1 is that it seems happy to be left on 24/7. Just adds to the convenience. An even simpler set up would be using the Dot with headphones, though I've not tried that.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

+ Reply to Thread