+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Alternatives to Denon 103R (with Expert Stylus mods)

I'm Adrian.

Default Alternatives to Denon 103R (with Expert Stylus mods)

Dear all
    my wife and I count ourselves lucky to have completed a house move on Fri 20 March, in London. I am less fortunate in having had the Expert Stylus Co (ESC). sapphire cantilever and fancy stylus snapped off in the move (a combination of not quite careful enough packing and very careless removal company).

I am weighing up long-term options with ESC but for now would appreciate suggestions on a cheap interim cartridge (say up to £100). MM or MC. In fact I might stick at the lower price range if the thing sounds good enough (I always found the ESC restored 103R a tiny bit bright)

Many thanks

Adrian

I'm David.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nagoaka-M...EAAOSwhQhee2oa
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nagaoka-M...wAAOSwPiFeYqR3
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Goldring-...cAAOSw4vJau9XW

I found these after a quick look on ebay, sorry the last one is slightly over budget. You'll have to look if you really need a MC.

I'm Adrian.

Thanks Antonio, but I hope people didn't think I was asking for searches on my behalf! I was interested in recommendations based on personal experience
    Thanks again, though. I'll take a look
    Adrian

I'm Philip.

I have a non esco'd DL103R, and found a Goldring E3 to be similar. Cheap enough to try too, they were about £70 is from Juno.

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian B View Post
    Thanks Antonio, but I hope people didn't think I was asking for searches on my behalf! I was interested in recommendations based on personal experience
    Thanks again, though. I'll take a look
    Adrian
    Although I don't have any personal experience with those cartridges, I've used Lyra's for the last 25 years, Nagoaka and Goldring are always high up on recommendations on forums, and could well be to your liking since you use a Denon 103. It was no trouble to have a quick look on ebay on your behalf.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful View Post
    I have a non esco'd DL103R, and found a Goldring E3 to be similar. Cheap enough to try too, they were about £70 is from Juno.
    +1.
    A stonking cart for the money, and hard to beat at that price.

I'm Adrian.

Thanks for all the advice and help. I had boiled it down to E3 or Nagaoka MP-110. The strength of the E3 recommendation is helpful

Best

Adrian

I'm Dave.

If you are interested in the E3, you might care to look at the Audio Technica VM95 series, because that is what is inside the case of the Goldring but at far less money.

+ Reply to Thread