+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SP10 +PMAT 1010 + Ortofon modded kb + Spotfire

I'm Steve.

Default SP10 +PMAT 1010 + Ortofon modded kb + Spotfire

Owning 2 ‘decent’ turntables in a Roksan Xerxes and a Kenwood KD750 it was a leap of faith to jump in with both feet for the SP10, arm and cartridge all in one go. Oh and I managed to get my hands on a Tenuto mat.
    However retirement has come with some benefits and I wanted to up the game in vinyl reproduction.

The whole setup has been sourced through Angus, also known as Phonomac here and elsewhere. He refurbished the SP10 to resolve issues that might lurk, testing and replacing components where necessary.
    He builds the plinth from Panzerholz and mounting to suit the Audio Technics AT1010.
    However the arm is completely rebuilt with numerous parts replaced and machined, becoming the PMAT 1010. It’s a giant killer.

The Ortofon Kontrapunkt B cartridge is worked on by Killian at Holistic Audio in Holland.
    Angus described the upgrade to the kb here
    ‘ a cartridge which has had all essential parts renewed – suspension and stylus - with the addition of the internal components from the higher end Ortofon cartridges which is what makes it into a close relative of the Vienna. It is also hand-aligned for optimum channel separation and balance. ‘

I am something of a loss for words at the way that I’m now hearing my vinyl.
    It’s super clean, which is a bit of a shock compared with other decks that are ‘muddy’ in acoustic. At the same time all is revealed, interaction between musicians more easily understood, and detail such as room acoustic very obvious.

I thought the Xerxes was good, especially since I mounted a PMAT 1050 on it (it’s how it all started!). Another Angus modified arm.

However my struggle to express the improvement is because there really is no comparison and I haven’t heard the improvements in incremental steps.

It’s been one huge jump

Apart from all the usual hifi cliches (think separation/soundstage/musical information/ immediacy etc etc) I think the biggest surprise to be has been in low frequency information.
    The phono is an Alan (Firebottle) Vivant and amp is a Lyngdorf 2200 (with room correction) combined with Harbeth 3PESR’s.

I’ve always found them a bit bass light.
    Not any more. Plenty of bass (ok, not subterranean). But fast bass rather than bloated. Again takes some adjusting to.
    However I’ve gained a whole different perspective on how the lower levels of music support and drive it along.
    In fact that’s the biggest pleasure of all is the insight into how musicians are working, how a song works etc

Oh.. and speakers just disappear.

If I had to try and be critical it’s that the soundstage isn’t as big as in Angus’s system. I’m told that the soundstage will open up after 100 hours or so.

After a week of ownership I’d thought I’d also look at what improvements might be made to the tonearm cable, although I wasn’t too sure how much better things could get. Just had a feeling that the existing Jelco was filtering some info.
    Having heard one in another system and read good reviews I asked Oli (Bigman80) to make me a Spotfire Tonearm cable. The price seemed very reasonable at £134 delivered.
    It replaced a Jelco cable that wasn’t too shabby.
    Wow.. even further insight into recordings.
    String instruments are revealed even more, and you can hear even more of the recording room acoustics. The balance of presentation of all the musicians on a track suddenly seems ‘right’ along with the detail revealed.
    A gamble that has definitely paid off.

This is my end game deck that a lifetime of working has given me.
    Just hope there’s a bit more time left to enjoy it, and that goes for us all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveW View Post
    Owning 2 ‘decent’ turntables in a Roksan Xerxes and a Kenwood KD750 it was a leap of faith to jump in with both feet for the SP10, arm and cartridge all in one go. Oh and I managed to get my hands on a Tenuto mat.
    However retirement has come with some benefits and I wanted to up the game in vinyl reproduction.

The whole setup has been sourced through Angus, also known as Phonomac here and elsewhere. He refurbished the SP10 to resolve issues that might lurk, testing and replacing components where necessary.
    He builds the plinth from Panzerholz and mounting to suit the Audio Technics AT1010.
    However the arm is completely rebuilt with numerous parts replaced and machined, becoming the PMAT 1010. It’s a giant killer.

The Ortofon Kontrapunkt B cartridge is worked on by Killian at Holistic Audio in Holland.
    Angus described the upgrade to the kb here
    ‘ a cartridge which has had all essential parts renewed – suspension and stylus - with the addition of the internal components from the higher end Ortofon cartridges which is what makes it into a close relative of the Vienna. It is also hand-aligned for optimum channel separation and balance. ‘

I am something of a loss for words at the way that I’m now hearing my vinyl.
    It’s super clean, which is a bit of a shock compared with other decks that are ‘muddy’ in acoustic. At the same time all is revealed, interaction between musicians more easily understood, and detail such as room acoustic very obvious.

I thought the Xerxes was good, especially since I mounted a PMAT 1050 on it (it’s how it all started!). Another Angus modified arm.

However my struggle to express the improvement is because there really is no comparison and I haven’t heard the improvements in incremental steps.

It’s been one huge jump

Apart from all the usual hifi cliches (think separation/soundstage/musical information/ immediacy etc etc) I think the biggest surprise to be has been in low frequency information.
    The phono is an Alan (Firebottle) Vivant and amp is a Lyngdorf 2200 (with room correction) combined with Harbeth 3PESR’s.

I’ve always found them a bit bass light.
    Not any more. Plenty of bass (ok, not subterranean). But fast bass rather than bloated. Again takes some adjusting to.
    However I’ve gained a whole different perspective on how the lower levels of music support and drive it along.
    In fact that’s the biggest pleasure of all is the insight into how musicians are working, how a song works etc

Oh.. and speakers just disappear.

If I had to try and be critical it’s that the soundstage isn’t as big as in Angus’s system. I’m told that the soundstage will open up after 100 hours or so.

After a week of ownership I’d thought I’d also look at what improvements might be made to the tonearm cable, although I wasn’t too sure how much better things could get. Just had a feeling that the existing Jelco was filtering some info.
    Having heard one in another system and read good reviews I asked Oli (Bigman80) to make me a Spotfire Tonearm cable. The price seemed very reasonable at £134 delivered.
    It replaced a Jelco cable that wasn’t too shabby.
    Wow.. even further insight into recordings.
    String instruments are revealed even more, and you can hear even more of the recording room acoustics. The balance of presentation of all the musicians on a track suddenly seems ‘right’ along with the detail revealed.
    A gamble that has definitely paid off.

This is my end game deck that a lifetime of working has given me.
    Just hope there’s a bit more time left to enjoy it, and that goes for us all.

I'm not really surprised to be honest Steve and glad for you too
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Very nice indeed, the tenuto mat really sets it off nicely.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Slav.

Nice write up and nice turntable , I am bit sceptical about last part - cables , it's a moving coil cartridge and cable properties shouldn't affect sound and I never heard difference swapping vdh cable supplied with SME arm with very expensive alternatives because there cannot be any .

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by mac72 View Post
    Nice write up and nice turntable , I am bit sceptical about last part - cables , it's a moving coil cartridge and cable properties shouldn't affect sound and I never heard difference swapping vdh cable supplied with SME arm with very expensive alternatives because there cannot be any .
    There can’t be?
    Well, I’ll continue to enjoy listening to the deck as everything beds in. Then in a few weeks I’ll swap the Jelco back in and let you know what I hear.

I'm gordan.

out of curiosity and if i'm not asking too much, what was the ballpark for a cartridge service?
    Gordan.
    Speakers: Oris Swing MkII
    Amps: Thomas Mayer 300b/ Hiraga La Maison de L'Audiophile 20
    Preamp: Silver AVC by eng. Ferenc Lazar
    Phono Preamp: Shishido LCR by Solaja Audio
    Decks: Garrard 301 Martin Bastin reworked/plinthed with Fidelity Research FR64fx
    Garrard 401 in eng Ferenc Lazar solid wenge plinth with SME 3012/2
    Cartridges: SPU Spirit/ Koetsu Black revisited by eng. Salai/ Miyajima Shilabe
    Step Up Transformers: Tango MCT 999/ Ortofon T-5000/ Lumiere SUT
    Digital: Shigaclone by eng. Ferenc Lazar with Lampizator Amber II
    Wires: of sufficient length

I'm Steve.

Well I paid just under £1000, but that includes the cost of the ‘donor’ original cartridge.

I'm Angus.

Thank you for the write up Steve, I'm glad to hear that the system is delivering for you.

@mac72
    '..... cable properties shouldn't affect sound and I never heard difference swapping vdh cable supplied with SME arm with very expensive alternatives because there cannot be any .....'
    Until your front end is delivering sufficient resolution you won't hear a difference. Also do not fall into the trap of equating expense with performance. And before you accuse me of subjectivism just ask any of the contacts around here - there are few more died-in-the-wool engineers than me

I'm Steve.

Well I was being very polite Angus.
    Just wanted to bring to attention some glorious pieces of equipment, and not get drawn into debate with someone’s agenda.
    If someone can’t hear a difference then fine.. don’t worry about it.
    I can and I’m a happy bunny.
    Not least of which that I’ve been very fortunate to drop a super deck straight into my system and I hadn’t realised how good the rest of my system is.
    Anyone with a deck that is good enough needs to be made aware how good the PMAT 1010 really is.
    So if you do that, it’s worth seeing what a cable can do.
    And it does.

I'm Alan.

Nice one Steve

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast