+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's inside your cartridge ?

I'm Dave.

Default What's inside your cartridge ?

Food for thought.
    Last edited by Barry; 01-04-2020 at 22:02. Reason: Tried to open image, but failed!

I'm Timothy.

Kind of like what's inside my wallet? Not much these days! That pic makes it all seem so simple!
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

I'm Pete.

Never having opened my Kiseki Blue Gold Spot I could take some guesses - and probably be wrong.

Whatever is in there seems to work rather well though

I'm Slav.

Yet 2M Black is best measuring cartridge I tested , kicking arse Cadenza range , Benz, Zyx and few others .
    Sometimes simple is better ,

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I can't open up the image, so have no idea how to respond. However I have 'nuded' a few MCs in my time, so can confirm that there is some copper wire, some plastic and a magnet in there.
    Barry

I'm Kevin.

adf61e50a6fed1d1895856109d1ff6a33e3a8d3c.jpg

Image is attached for those who cannot open it.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Chris.

..never been a fan of Ortofon MM carts. Too clinical and academic sounding for me. However to be fair although the generator looks from the outside like an OM series (which version I am not sure) there are examples of carts where the generator looks similar but are enclosed/mounted in a new/different body and from some reports the sound seems to benefit. The Goldring E series comes to mind and also the Linn K series which appear to be based on the venerable AT MM generator.

It is also hard to see whether the stylus/cantilever assembly and suspension are different.

I'm Dave.

The 2M range does appear to be the OM in a Rega shaped plastic case. Similarly, the new Goldring carts are the AT VM95 range inserted into a Goldring outer. There is a pic of this on the www somewhere.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Ah, I see what you are talking about - OEM generators fitted into a custom body.

Well apart from some fixed-coil cartridges (Shure M55E, ADCs, B&Os, Deccas and an AKG), which I think all have generators made by the named manufacturer, the rest are moving-coil designs. These are EMTs, Ortofon (SPUs and other models), Denons an Ikeda and a Van den Hul. I'm sure all the EMTs and Ortofons use manufacture-made generators, but I'm not sure about the Denons, Ikeda or the Van den Hul.

Ikeda san designed the Fidelity Research range as well as his own 'cantileverless' models, but they may have been made by someone else. Likewise some of the early VdH cartridges were based on Benz generators, but fitted with VdH's stylus profile. There were also some other 'tweeks' made to the Benz generator.
    Barry

I'm Gary.

Some good views online of my Rega, don't pretend to know how its all put together though!
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast