+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pre-amp to pair with Avondale S100?

I'm Tom.

Default Pre-amp to pair with Avondale S100?

In the future (post-lockdown) I'll be looking to pair a dedicated pre with an Avondale S100 (I will just be using a dac/passive pre for now).

Interested to hear what pre-amps people have paired with Avondale S100s in the past, and what level of success they think they have had.

There's a thread over on pfm about pre-amps with the M130 monos suggesting NAC 32/62/72, obviously the Avondale Grad1/821, and also the Chevron audio pre. Do the same recommendations hold for the S100?

Anyone had any other experience/suggestions?

Many thanks

I'm mark.

Naim 12,32,72 are the obvious candidates for fitting Avondale 821 cards along with the stand alone 821 pre. You'll need to add a power supply to all of these too. Naim, Avondale, TeddyP...

The Chevron is a good pre, I still prefered my Avondale 102, but I prefer that to most things I've heard

I'm Tom.

Thanks Mark - seems to confirm the opinion in the M130 thread.
    If I'm unable to find the matching Avondale pre when I'm ready to snap one up, is there any preference of 12/32/32.5/72 that would be more suited (before 821 cards made an appearance), or are these all largely in the same league?

I'm mark.

The 32.5 and 72 will be dual railed as standard which will make matching to *cap easier.
    I've had Nac 12, Class A serviced and dual railed, as well as 72 and 82. They are all very similar sounding, (to me) bigger differences between power supplies.

May be worth calling Les @ Avondale about 821 pre?

I'm Tom.

Perfect, that's good to know, thanks again Mark

I'm givingyouaprettygoodclue.

This obviosuly isn't a direct answer to the question (doesn't it bug you when people post irrelevant responses). But in so far as a synergistic "house sound" goes, the Exposures that I've heard are in the same broad camp as Avondale. I use a XVII with Avondale M1 Monos.

Pete

I'm mark.

I keep looking at this
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/pre-expos...gAAOSwPyReiffb

Where does it sit vs Naim pre ?

+ Reply to Thread