+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Capacitor/resistor

I'm Vince.

Default Capacitor/resistor

Hi, I'm looking for some advice as well as the actual components.
    I have a pair of Silver Iris tweeters that I wish to add to my existing speakers. I'm not changing my current speakers, merely adding the Iris's to see if it adds or subtracts, soundwise.
    I want to simply add them by connecting with a positive and negative cable to each input from my speaker terminals. Basically the same if I was adding supertweeters and I want something to filter out the mid bass
    Frequency's below 2.5khz. I just want something I can run inline on the connecting cables. The crossover of my speakers is 2.8kh, but I want to go a little lower.
    Anyone got a good make of what I need or can tell me what I need.
    Thanks in advance and stay healthy.
    Vince

I'm inthescottishmafia.

8uF will get you to 2.5khz high pass.

I use Miflex on the tweeters in my Bastanis, I like them-

https://www.hificollective.co.uk/cat...capacitor.html
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Not cheap mind!
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Not cheap mind!
    Ouch!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

If they are too rich, this might help you decide-

http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html

Trouble is that large a value in a poly will not be cheap..

Hunter S Thompson

I'm inthescottishmafia.

8uF will get you to 2.5khz high pass.

I use Miflex on the tweeters in my Bastanis, I like them-

https://www.hificollective.co.uk/cat...capacitor.html
    Sorry, forgot to say that value is assuming an 8ohm tweeter.

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Geoff.

Sorry, forgot to say that value is assuming an 8ohm tweeter.
    I seem to recall Goodmans using 8uF in a 3kHz filter. Not that it makes much odds at 6db/oct. Maybe they just wanted the roll-in late.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

It may well have been depending on the impedance of the driver, but as you say, not much odds at 6db/Oct.

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Ian.

what about cheap motor run polyprops to test the concept ? before going the whole hog ?

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Yep not a bad idea. The maths are the maths though, so if the OP is sure of the frequency and the tweeter is 8 ohm nominal, 8uf is correct.

Hunter S Thompson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast