+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: COVID 19 - Hifi Projects

I'm Anto.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    I have been investigating an alternative 'Line controller' approach using of all things a solid state volume control chip.

With my long time involvement in electronics I was still under the impression that analogue multiplexers or chips that included them were very inferior, with very imperfect 'on' resistances that were far from linear with varying signal levels.

How things have come on now with modern CMOS processing . The Burr Brown digitally controlled analogue volume chips PGA2310/2311 have staggeringly low published distortion figures of 0.00002%

I have acquired a slightly older ready made volume control unit from Mshow:

Construction is reasonable but one omission is a mute relay, as there is a pronounced click at turn off.

This is the internal shot after certain modifications:

To glean the ultimate performance from these chips needs consideration of the operating conditions with regard to noise and impedances.
    Both regulators feeding the supply to the chip have been replaced with low noise regulator modules and a buffer stage has been fitted driving the input pins.

The buffer stage can be seen in the foreground and the mute relay has been fitted directly to the output sockets.
    The unit came without a remote control but I have been able to adapt one to work.

Performance you ask? Stunning, really transparent

Leading on from the Mshow experiments I ordered a new unit along the same lines, this time under the Weiliang Audio name.
    It is from China of course so availability now may be a bit delayed due to the current situation.

Part 1.

The pcb is very well done with some quality caps fitted, Elna and Silmic. It also has a mute relay included on board.
    I have fitted a buffer stage which improved on the as built performance but am still waiting to receive some low noise regulators.

Compared to the Mshow it is only a few percent behind, hopefully with low noise regulators fitted it will have equal performance.
    The soundstage and spacial clues come though exceedingly well, this is in use at the moment.

Part 2.

I have received the low noise regulators and have now fitted them.
    Wow this is now very open, looks like I have two equally as good solid state volume controllers.

Putting a buffer before the control chip and substituting low noise regulators really does get the best out of these chips.

Today.

Whoahh am I enjoying this combination.

The performance off vinyl is stunning, the sheer transparency of the modified Weiliang line controller is allowing such detail and depth through that it is like hearing different records

Just listening to Annie Lenox 'Diva'. I have not heard all the subtle mastering before, it's fantastic.
    Looks good Alan

Hope you are up in the air before too long !!! I should imagine thats a goal for you
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Natara View Post
    I've been putting my excellent PHK record cleaning machine through it's paces with excellent results. I don't know if you are familiar with the PHK it's a homemade machine from an excellent builder in Brazil admittedly it looks like a weird childs toy by Fisher Price but it represents exceptional value I'm not sure if they are still available to buy I bought mine second hand for less than £100 I think.

It spins both ways has a cleaning arm and vaccum arm you do have to connect it up to a hoover though to get it working properly but spread on your favourite cleaning brew and it does the job.
    Have one of those myself, they are excellent and do a great job.
    Recently cleaned the last batch of vinyl I'd recently bought with it.

Don't think they are available to buy anymore unfortunately.

Love this video of it
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Mike.

I guess i'm classed as a key worker, as many of you know I work for a professional AV company and for most of my time i work with the NHS trusts up and down the country sorting out lecture theaters, simulation suites and video conference.

Since the Covid-19 1st kicked off i've literally not stopped, i did over 3000 business miles last month basically beefing up the VC (video conference) capability of the trusts i work with, the NHS's worry is that they will become overrun with cases and the risk of spreading the virus to non covid-19 wards. One of the things i'm currently working on is a remote monitoring system whereby a nurse can safely monitor a full ward of patients via video and if needed bring in a clinician over video to asses the patient and plan the next steps, the system will help to ensure that the risk of spreading the virus from patient to medical staff is reduced, that 1 nurse can effectively look after more patients with zero risk and Dr's who are elsewhere in the hospital or even at home can be brought in to asses a patient.

This leaves me with little time to tinker with my HiFi, however my plans once i get a bit of breathing space will include finally getting my hands on my new Prima Luna Evo400 amp (integrated), replacing the arm on my Project RPM 6 with a better 9cc Evo which isn't my 1st choice of arms but there doesn't seem to be anything other than Project arms to fit this deck, i'm seriously thinking about getting an Audio Technica Art 1000 MC cart and moving on my Dynavector 10x5 and finally i fancy a pair of Kralk audio TDB-12 speakers however that will have to wait until Kralk can start production again which i'm hoping is before the end of the year.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm brian.

Sounds like your doing some great work with the NHS there mike . Enjoy the audio, when time permits !

I'm Steve.

Top man is our Mike, I look forward to hearing his new toys when this is over
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Have one of those myself, they are excellent and do a great job.
    Recently cleaned the last batch of vinyl I'd recently bought with it.

Don't think they are available to buy anymore unfortunately.

Love this video of it
    Yes have one also, great bit of kit.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Anto.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    I guess i'm classed as a key worker, as many of you know I work for a professional AV company and for most of my time i work with the NHS trusts up and down the country sorting out lecture theaters, simulation suites and video conference.

Since the Covid-19 1st kicked off i've literally not stopped, i did over 3000 business miles last month basically beefing up the VC (video conference) capability of the trusts i work with, the NHS's worry is that they will become overrun with cases and the risk of spreading the virus to non covid-19 wards. One of the things i'm currently working on is a remote monitoring system whereby a nurse can safely monitor a full ward of patients via video and if needed bring in a clinician over video to asses the patient and plan the next steps, the system will help to ensure that the risk of spreading the virus from patient to medical staff is reduced, that 1 nurse can effectively look after more patients with zero risk and Dr's who are elsewhere in the hospital or even at home can be brought in to asses a patient.

This leaves me with little time to tinker with my HiFi, however my plans once i get a bit of breathing space will include finally getting my hands on my new Prima Luna Evo400 amp (integrated), replacing the arm on my Project RPM 6 with a better 9cc Evo which isn't my 1st choice of arms but there doesn't seem to be anything other than Project arms to fit this deck, i'm seriously thinking about getting an Audio Technica Art 1000 MC cart and moving on my Dynavector 10x5 and finally i fancy a pair of Kralk audio TDB-12 speakers however that will have to wait until Kralk can start production again which i'm hoping is before the end of the year.
    Top man you are Mike !!
    I owe you a favour still , and cant look at the Marantz without thinking about you !
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddball View Post
    Top man you are Mike !!
    I owe you a favour still , and cant look at the Marantz without thinking about you !
    I count myself lucky to be working and not sat on my arse at home on 80% of my salary, or worse still if I was self employed !!!

Visiting hospitals over the last few weeks has been a real eye opener and everyone needs to do everything they can to stop this virus spreading, what amazes me are the amount of people still out and about, i drove past a garden centre on my way to Broomfield hospital down in Essex and was amazed to find 15 or 20 cars in the car park and people shopping, we need to stay in and really only go out to get food, forget daily exercise, too many people have jumped on that bandwagon i've never seen so many dogs being walked or bikes being ridden, it's a joke.

The aftermath is going to take years to recover from, many people are going to find themselves unemployed due to their employers going under or scaling down to save cost, truly worrying times.

On a lighter note, i'm pleased the old Marantz is still chugging on and no favours are necessary, i wasn't using it, it didn't cost me a great deal so i was more than happy to pay it forward so to speak, once all this is over you'll have to pop up and listen to the new set up.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Pete.

I have to agree with Mike: people need to stay at home unless food shopping or (necessary) working.

Had a minor scare myself a couple of weeks ago: Had a double hernia op March 10, discharged next day but started having problems breathing about 12 hours later, bit of a temperature and was coughing up blood. Wife dialled 111 explained situation got asked what hospital had performed op and was told to put phone down and wait for a call back very shortly from an "out of hours" medical service. The upshot was an ambulance turned up took me to hospital where I was diagnosed with a minor internal throat injury probably caused by insertion/removal of breathing tube during op and sent home with some antibiotics. As I understand it the hospital where I had the op had had it's first covid-19 death a day or so prior to me having an op so there was some concern that the virus may have spread at that hospital. Thankfully that does not seem to be the case.

I did notice that A&E medical staff were keeping a fair distance after giving me and Wife a mask each until blood tests came back confirming the throat infection was the problem. A brief chat with the Doctor about the just breaking in the UK covid-10 virus left me with the impression that they expected a lot of patients from the end of March on - especially if people ignored the STAY AT HOME! advice (which is now a government instruction/order).

So, STAY AT HOME! - enjoy your HiFi/Video/Computer systems.

Apologies for HiJacking thread

Pete

I'm Martin.

Default "Lockdown" JFET MC Head amp

My lockdown project that's kept me occupied for the last week or so.

Battery powered moving coil head amplifier using parallel pairs of Linear Systems LSK170 JFET's.

Very low noise LT3045 regulator modules on the power rails.
    Ansmann Lithium Ion 5600mAH battery pack.
    Ansmann pre programmed IPC30 external charger.
    Front panel mounted battery voltage and charge level meter.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast