+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID 19 - Hifi Projects

I'm Paul.

Plenty of this though the cost of isopropyl has trebled but I have some previous ready mixed available for now....

EMT 930ST
    Garrard 301/3009 MK1
    Micro Seiki MR-711/MA-202L
    Stax SRA-3S MM phono amplifier
    Nagra BPSv2 phonostage
    BigBottle BB3 Phonostage
    Telefunken Bv.42-01 Transformer
    Hashimoto HM-3 Transformer
    Braun CC4 Transformer
    Ortofon Spu Synergy
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Miyajima Waza
    Denon 103SA
    Audio Technica AT33 Mono
    IFI Pro Linestage
    PYE HF12 KT66 Monoblocks
    Uchida Sun Audio SV-300BE
    Quantum Electronics 202D
    Marantz 1060 Integrated
    Western Electric Line Transformer
    Yamaha CDR-HD1500
    Tannoy 15" Bespoke

I'm Andrew.

Sounds like your all having fun. I'll have to post up some of my experiments later tonight!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

Here's my first bit of experimentation. It's my old Shure M55E (USA) + JICO neoSAS stylus + Snakewood body. I used to run this on my Lenco L75 project but I decided I wanted to try on my SME V-12/Garrard 401 project. It's running through a very heavily modded EAR 834P clone. The V-12 allows for easy fine tuning and this has to be the best that cartridge has sounded. I've fine tuned the capacitance "seen" by the cartridge of I've messed about with VTF and anti-skate . It sure sounds great. I'll be plotting my EAR 834P clone against the in-built valve phonostage of my Croft Epoch pre-amp. Who know's may the EAR might come up for sale?

WP_20200330_002.jpg
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Allthatwasisorwillbe.

I've been using the Shure SC35C with SAS for a little while now and that too sounds very good. I've reverted back to the NOS stylus and paradox body today to remind myself of how that sounds. Again very good and especially suited to the 12" dance singles i'm listening to at the moment.

How did you fine tune the capacitance out of interest?
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    TECHNICS 1200 MKII_JELCO 750D_SHURE SC35C (with NOS and NEO SAS styli)
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO
    PARADIGM REFERENCE ACTIVE/40'S
    PARADIGM SERVO 15 SUBWOOFER X 2

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

I'm Nat.

I've been putting my excellent PHK record cleaning machine through it's paces with excellent results. I don't know if you are familiar with the PHK it's a homemade machine from an excellent builder in Brazil admittedly it looks like a weird childs toy by Fisher Price but it represents exceptional value I'm not sure if they are still available to buy I bought mine second hand for less than £100 I think.

It spins both ways has a cleaning arm and vaccum arm you do have to connect it up to a hoover though to get it working properly but spread on your favourite cleaning brew and it does the job.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by kininigin View Post

How did you fine tune the capacitance out of interest?
    Loading plugs at the back of my phonostage and careful choice of cabling and RCA's with the right capacitance.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Allthatwasisorwillbe.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Loading plugs at the back of my phonostage and careful choice of cabling and RCA's with the right capacitance.
    I see! I've never figured out how to measure capacitance. Maybe when i have plenty of time on my hands, i'll work it out
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    TECHNICS 1200 MKII_JELCO 750D_SHURE SC35C (with NOS and NEO SAS styli)
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO
    PARADIGM REFERENCE ACTIVE/40'S
    PARADIGM SERVO 15 SUBWOOFER X 2

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by kininigin View Post
    I see! I've never figured out how to measure capacitance. Maybe when i have plenty of time on my hands, i'll work it out
    You don't need to, just look up your cables specifications.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Paul.

My Covid-19 project is to finally sit down and do a lossless Flac rip of my entire CD collection and finally build a dummy load for Amp testing.

Paul
    Current setup Thorens TD-160 Mk1 with Denon DL-110 MC Cartridge, Pioneer PD-8700 CD Player, Yamaha AX-592 Amp, Yamaha CDX-810 CD Player, Yamaha KX-480 Cassette Deck, Yamaha TX-492RDS Tuner, Monitor Audio Bronze 5 speakers, Van-Damme Cables throughout.

I'm Gary.

Bit TV’d out and bored...so decided to do something hifi tweaky related today.

Given I’ve not long swapped out Turntables and my Rega has zero suspension...the caveat “be careful where you sit me” has been at the back of my mind.
    I’ve been curious about turntable isolation, but given I’ve a stone floor always just said yeah, don’t worry about it.
    Still curious though...so decided to try something that I’ve been curious about and as I’ve now got the time...why not?

My kit sits in a glass shelf Stand unique rack, glass maybe not being the best material for hifi shelves.
    The Rega has rubber feet, so rubber on glass is maybe the best compromise?
    Looking for other examples of glass shelf hifi furniture, The Naim Fraim has glass shelves and is very well though of... but where does the magic happen?

All about the ball bearings.

My current rack has wooden uprights supporting glass shelves, not dissimilar to the Fraim, but the Devils in the detail..right?
    Glass shelves supported by steel ball bearings, I decided to try that concept and apply it to my own rack.

My rack has wooden uprights capped off with threaded rods with hex head bolt end caps, so a rigid central core to support the shelf.
    Similar to the Naim Fraim in principle (though not exactly the same) I put a steel ball bearing in the hex head long bolt that secures the wooden post end cap to the glass top shelf.

The idea being to balance an additional glass shelf on top of the ball bearing as a turntable support.
    Had a few isolation bits n bobs lying about so decided to use them too.

Ball Bearing...RDC cone foot bases and SoundDamped steel plate.

Got it all set up and yeah, an improvement on how it was before, just plonked straight on the glass top plate.
    Never really gave much thought to isolating my turntable and where it sat as I have stone flooors...but this was a definite improvement on before.

Given I’ve demonstrated to myself that where I sit the Table...even with stone floors...can sound different?
    makes me think.
    Might just get the Rega wall shelf now and call it done.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 03-04-2020 at 08:27.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast