+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: COVID 19 - Hifi Projects

I'm Charlie.

Hopefully I'll find time to archive all my master tapes (> 100) - onto 24/192 wav and onto new 15 IPS tape with Dolby SR - it takes a) about 30 mins to clean, check and calibrate the R2R deck to the test tones at the head of the master, b) at least 2 hours to archive each one digitally, c) and then another hour to do the tape archive - sometimes I have to remaster the tape, especially if the levels are uneven or if there is a short dropout in the tape - realistically it's half a day per album to do it properly.

I don't have too much free time during COVID-19. Luckily I am not looking after sick COVID-19 patients, but I have plenty of other patients to care for. So, it's going to take a while.

R2R: Studer A820 1/2 inch 2 track; Otari MTR-12 1/4 inch 2 track; Sony APR 5003; Sony APR 5002; Studer A807/II. Vinyl: Platine Verdier Allaerts MC1B/Schroeder Reference & Model 2 Decca C4E/Hadcock 228 TRON Seven Reference phono. Keith Monks MkII RCM Other analogue source: Nakamichi Dragon with ANT4066 mods. Amplification: TRON Meteor preamp TRON Voyager 20B SET power. Speakers: Avantgarde Duo. Digital: computing at last with Prism Sound Lyra 2 A2D converter

I'm Andrew.

I started restoring another pair of JR149's. This has kept me out of trouble for the last 5 days or so.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm guy.

Not really a project but - I moved my boxes out of their usual positions/sound organisation racks to give living room a thorough clean.

I was was shocked: dust, dead spiders, spider crap and more dust. I usually give the boxes a wipe over, but this was everywhere.
    Carpet now shampoo'd, boxes dusted and contacts remade - looking forward to having a listen later.
    LP12, Ittok (black), DV10X5, NVA Phono 2 (twin supply), NVAP50, Art Audio Quintet 15w power amp, NVA LS5 cable, Rega Ela mk1's.
    Sony CDP XB930.

I'm Graham.

I am tidying up a couple of Technics decks, just started on a very nice sl-q202, a quartz locked semi automatic from 1982. It's too time consuming doubling up threads so full details and pics can be found on the wam.

I'm Gary.

Decided to use the spare time to modernise the big “church organs”...

Wonderful sounding things, but quite old fashioned looking with the ‘Ye Olde’ veneer, especially without the grilles.
    So rubbing down woodwork and painting side panels white to match the room surroundings and furniture better.

I mean, why not...right?

Last edited by Gazjam; 29-04-2020 at 10:54.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Graham.

https://i.imgur.com/lwY1047.jpg

Pic of the technics sl-q202 I have serviced and tidied up. Full details can be found at
    https://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum/top...omment-2530010

I'm loheswaran.

I've had a couple pf projects:

1. Tonearm boards made of walnut
    2. Record storage 2 turntable stand -

I'm Jonathan.

Been fiddling / upgrading my ‘workshop’ system.

I recently made a stand from a beech slab and some offcut oak legs. Works well with some hardware off Ebay. Last week replaced the Sony 530ES amp with an Exposure XX Super which works really well with the Opera Primas via Naim NAC5 received yesterday. TT was a tatty but stable Luxman PD282 whose lid needed a lot of polishing and the speed adjusting internally, with an AT1009 courtesy of Angus of Phonomac fame.

Very pleased with the outcome.

I'm Ian.

I decided to knock together a turntable from bits and pieces I already had in the shed.

Lenco motor and idler wheel attached to a microscope micrometer stage for fine speed adjustment mounted underneath a piece of MU25 ply.

The idler wheel sticks up through the plinth. Recess ready for the bearing so the platter rides just above the plinth.

Plinth primed:

RB250 arm and cartridge fitted. The platter is a very heavy one from a Mission 775 turntable - it has a lead ring in it!

So it's a Lenco idler driven Mission and works remarkably well. There were a few mistakes along the way but a bit of bodging here and there produced a deck I'm quite pleased with.
    Still need a decent power on/off switch as it plugs directly into mains at the moment and needs a suppressor fitting to stop start up pops.
    My intention is to sell this off once it's finished and donate the money to a local charity helping folk in need due to coronavirus.

I'm Geoff.

Nice. And the third photo looks like Mickey Mouse.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast