+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Carluccios in administration

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

If you want to find a *genuine* Italian restaurant in the UK, the telltale sign to look for is one that doesn't have pizza on the menu [in Italy, pizzas are only sold in dedicated pizzerias], or indeed have pasta featured on menus as a main course! No self-respecting Italian restaurant in Italy would be seen dead doing either!

In proper Italian restaurants, pasta dishes ONLY feature as first courses (served in small portions) - NEVER as mains. End of. And you'll *never* see Spaghetti Bolognese, as it simply doesn't exist in Italy. Tagliatelle al Ragu is the real deal. In good restaurants, you'll also rarely find lasagne on the menu, as it's normally something Italians eat at home.

Therefore a typical menu in a genuine/authentic Italian restaurant will start with options for antipastos (cured meats, pickles, bruschetta, etc), then first courses, which will either be forms of soup, rice or pasta. Then will come the main courses, but crucially split into meat or fish dishes, listed in dedicated sections, with salad, vegetable and potato side-dishes also listed separately, then desserts and cheese.

So.... If your favourite Italian restaurant has a laminated menu (the contents of which almost never change), and which is dominated primarily by pasta and pizza, with only a token meat or fish dish, neither of which is particularly exciting, then you can safely assume that it's 'plastic Italian', and you can do MUCH better!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Andrew.

Oh no ! No more torte limon ( or breakfasts )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Adam.

Like Marco, I've been a fan of the 'big man' for years and, going back 10 years or so, the food in Carluccio's was very good.

The last time I visited one was around 18 months ago and the meal we had was very disappointing so we've not been back since. Still sad to see it go, though.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

Quote Originally Posted by andyrlb View Post
    Oh no ! No more torte limon ( or breakfasts )
    Not sure I follow you, Andy?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    Like Marco, I've been a fan of the 'big man' for years and, going back 10 years or so, the food in Carluccio's was very good.

The last time I visited one was around 18 months ago and the meal we had was very disappointing so we've not been back since. Still sad to see it go, though.
    Indeed, Adam. Antonio would turn in his grave if he were to have sampled some of the stuff being served in his restaurants recently, as he was such a perfectionist and desired for things to be 'just so'.

Also, another sign of an authentic Italian restaurant is when you're automatically brought some sliced crusty bread in a basket, along with a jug of water, soon after you've sat down at the table. And how often do you see that happening here? Almost never!

Water perhaps, but almost never bread. And I'm not talking about garlic bread, or something else that's been fannied about with - just plain, good quality crusty Italian bread (to mop up your pasta sauce)!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm guy.

Unhappy

First few times we went to Carluccios we were given bread before our order was bought to us, similar to this:

https://www.silvertraveladvisor.com/...515_110747.jpg

I will miss it
    LP12, Ittok (black), DV10X5, NVA Phono 2 (twin supply), NVAP50, Art Audio Quintet 15w power amp, NVA LS5 cable, Rega Ela mk1's.
    Sony CDP XB930.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Not sure I follow you, Andy?

Marco.
    Sorry Marco, I was referring to the fact that Carluccios were in administration, their breakfasts weren’t bad given the lack of choice at MK shopping centre, I did like the lemon tart . I do agree that it’s not like it used to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by guy View Post
    First few times we went to Carluccios we were given bread before our order was bought to us, similar to this:

https://www.silvertraveladvisor.com/...515_110747.jpg

I will miss it
    Lol - there was none of that last time I went! Nice, but a bit too fancy (with focaccia, etc), no doubt creating significant wastage - mainly of profits... Plus if you ate that lot, you'd have no room for anything else!

No, I was thinking of something simpler, like this, sliced and put inside a little straw basket:

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by andyrlb View Post
    Sorry Marco, I was referring to the fact that Carluccios were in administration, their breakfasts weren’t bad given the lack of choice at MK shopping centre, I did like the lemon tart . I do agree that it’s not like it used to be.
    Ah, gotcha now. Never had breakfast there, but I can imagine that the lemon tart was good

Marco.
    Main System

I'm guy.

It was for both of us (me being a cheapskate )
    LP12, Ittok (black), DV10X5, NVA Phono 2 (twin supply), NVAP50, Art Audio Quintet 15w power amp, NVA LS5 cable, Rega Ela mk1's.
    Sony CDP XB930.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast