+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WLM La Scalas followed me home....

I'm Timothy.

Rohan, was happy to find these for sure. It is nice not having speakers that require huge amounts of power to get going, and do not play well at lower volumes. Both my Duevel and these, just really make me happy.

I love your JM’s too though, really nice!
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Frazeur1 View Post
    Lawrence, I too had kind of given up/forgotten about them more or less, by accident I ran into this pair, and that was that. The Amphions are nice! I kind of lust over the big floorstander Kryptons, but then I would need bigger room, and, and, not to mention, a much bigger wallet stuffed with the cabbage.
    You'd be surprised, they work well in my average sized double reception firing across the narrow width but then I don't play them loudly

I'm Timothy.

Oh well damn! Those look fantastic! I have always liked them! Are those an older model, Lawrence? Was curious as the mid bass drivers look different to me, but has been awhile. I am sure they do the business, thanks for sharing the photo, I like!
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

I'm Lawrence.

These are the first versions with Seas Excel mid bass drivers. They also have a 12" bass driver (maybe Nomex) in a sealed chamber rather than the 10" ported metal drivers of the later ones.

I'm Timothy.

Okay. Regardless, they look, and I am sure, sound quite nice! Another speaker I do not see over here often.

I'm Lawrence.

I forgot to mention, on these ones there is a granite slab opposite the driver to reduce resonance. The later ones apparently had a woofer hole cut in both sides which was then covered up by another piece of wood on one side, this allowed them to cut costs by using the same cabinet for L and R speakers but I'm not sure that would be as good.

I'm Timothy.

Lordy, I bet that adds a good deal of weight on that too, and probably is a much better solution on the resonance end I would think!

I'm Lawrence.

Yeah I think their 85kg each as opposed to 65 or 70 for the new ones. I also prefer the shaped wooden horn rather than the plastic one in the newer ones (unless it's Corian like I read some of the studio ones used). In summary I'm pleased I've got the first versions and wouldn't want to "upgrade" to the later ones. These are harder to come by too as far as I can see.

The only variable I'm unsure about is the new lighter and creased mid bass cones which look more like my sort of thing. If only they were drop in replacements for the Excels in these, but I imagine they are more sensitive and would need a crossover rebuild.

Anyway sorry this thread is about your WLMs which I'm sure are equally good in different ways

I'm Timothy.

No big thing Lawrence, nice to discuss your Amphions! Beautiful things they are! As for my WLM’s, the monitors suit my smaller room I have very nicely, and a fun alternative to my Venus omni’s. Have enjoyed listening to them the last 24 hours or so, getting to know them a bit.

Will be trying my different amp combos over the next few weeks once I get more of a grip on them.

I'm Steve.

Loved the scala floorstanders. Nice natural tone

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast