+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WLM La Scalas followed me home....

I'm Timothy.

Default WLM La Scalas followed me home....

I didn’t need anything else hifi, but sometimes we don’t chose, it chooses us. I had listened to a pair of the floorstanders quite a number of years ago, and loved what they did. I kind of kept them in mind throughout the years thought if I could grab a used pair at some point, I would. So rare in my parts though!

Low and behold, last week by chance, I came across a barely used, brand new looking pair of monitors. I grabbed hold of them as I didn’t figure they would hang around long-or maybe they would, as they certainly aren’t the fad of the day by any stretch! Paper cones, especially for the tweeters? Oh yeah! Most would run screaming! Berilium, ahh no. Ceramic bass drivers? Nope. Tweeter controls?!! OMG! Yep, kind of like me, old school, non techie.

The fit and finish on these are just superb, yes, it is a plain and simple box, but damn, they sure do make great music and look good doing it! Will be putting them on the end of my Croft’s real soon, should be fun!
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

I'm Rob.

Very nice.
    Rob.
    Powered by crossed fingers and clenched buttocks

I'm Neil.

Very good speakers
    Regards Neil

I'm Russell.

I have the floor standers and absolutely love them.

I didn’t realise they did monitors as well.

Pair mine with my Almarro A318B which is a match made in heaven if you read all the reviews.

Currently out my system and trying some Tannoy Chesters which are a lovely listen but don’t go as deep as the WLM’s

I'm Lawrence.

I was after a pair of the floorstanders for ages but nothing came up so I gave up. Happy playing with my new Amphions for the time being

I'm Timothy.

Thanks all, yes, really enjoying them so far. Certainly a different perspective to my Duevel Venus, extremely enjoyable though. I like their ease of drive, and how well they play at low volumes, something I require now living in an apartment.

Russel, I had read and heard how well they work with the Almarro amps. Don’t see many of them around here, seemed to be all the rage(well, sort of...)awhile back ago. I like the looks too of yours. The two tone wood on it looks great, nice and simple too.

I always thought it sort of odd how WLM had both floor stander and monitor, and just called them both La Scala. I guess using same components etc., it made it easy, who knows? Fun stuff.
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

I'm Timothy.

Lawrence, I too had kind of given up/forgotten about them more or less, by accident I ran into this pair, and that was that. The Amphions are nice! I kind of lust over the big floorstander Kryptons, but then I would need bigger room, and, and, not to mention, a much bigger wallet stuffed with the cabbage.

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Frazeur1 View Post
    Thanks all, yes, really enjoying them so far. Certainly a different perspective to my Duevel Venus, extremely enjoyable though. I like their ease of drive, and how well they play at low volumes, something I require now living in an apartment.

Russel, I had read and heard how well they work with the Almarro amps. Don’t see many of them around here, seemed to be all the rage(well, sort of...)awhile back ago. I like the looks too of yours. The two tone wood on it looks great, nice and simple too.

I always thought it sort of odd how WLM had both floor stander and monitor, and just called them both La Scala. I guess using same components etc., it made it easy, who knows? Fun stuff.
    Yes the Almarro is lovely in both looks and sound. Perfect with the La Scala’s as they’re so easy to drive.

I’ve never experimented with the treble control or the different bass ports on the bottom but now I have a bit more time on my hands I guess that could be something.

If I could only get the LP12 Plinth to match I’d be a hero at home.....

I'm Timothy.

I have played a bit with the tweeter control a bit, I find it a very nice, yet subtle range of adjustability. I doubt you could get things too far out of whack with it, and think it is a nice, useful feature.

The bass port on yours too, is a nice feature as well, adjustability of the gap from port to floor, and also with the port sleeve I believe. Nice to have some adjustability available, whether one uses it or not. Yours look very nice!

As to the LP12, guess you could redo it, or look for another plinth that matches things better. Guess it all depends on what being a hero gets you!

I'm Rohan.

Hey, great find! Always wanted to hear these. Llke Lawrence, I always fancied a pair of the floorstanders and similarly, could never find any!

Makes me think generally about trying some more sensitive speakers, rather than my ongoing tide of lovely but inefficient BBC-style stuff (Jean Maurers excepted).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast