+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WLM La Scalas followed me home....

I'm Timothy.

Thanks Steve, I remember when you got yours and I was hoping then that I could find a pair. I was really happy to come across these! Definitely a very natural tone, yet not without that nice snap that really makes percussion sound very lifelike. Not a boring sonic landscape, yet I don’t feel it is off kilter in any way either. Shame that WLM, at least in this generation, aren’t around any longer. Never really did hear/read what happened to them, but seems a parting of ways, maybe design or philosophy in the group?
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

I'm Steve.

Think I prefer the scalas overall to the Divas

I'm Timothy.

Interesting comment, Steve! Please do tell your thoughts, as I never got to hear the Diva, yet they too intrigued me, especially with the bass control component that WLM made. I also never got to hear any of their models with the curved on top PAC tweeters, which again, intrigued me.

I must be entirely weird with things like this in audio, most are kind of unique or not mainstream types of products, yet sound great, they just never stick around long it seems! Hmmmm.
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

I'm Rohan.

Quote Originally Posted by Frazeur1 View Post
    Rohan, was happy to find these for sure. It is nice not having speakers that require huge amounts of power to get going, and do not play well at lower volumes. Both my Duevel and these, just really make me happy.

I love your JM’s too though, really nice!

Thanks Timothy- it's just wonderful that we are lucky enough to get to try all of these sonic flavours contained within all these different designs!

I'm Rohan.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    You'd be surprised, they work well in my average sized double reception firing across the narrow width but then I don't play them loudly
    Sorry not wanting to thread hijack but....a big "yes" to those! Sealed 12" bass- fantastic.
    Do you have a separate thread for these Lawrence? As the man who has had more speakers then hot meals, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts...

I'm Timothy.

So agree! I have been extremely fortunate to be able to listen, try, and buy a few of these things over the course of time. So much pleasure and enjoyment out of the music some of this gear brings to my ears! Take care!

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by VanDerGraaf View Post
    Sorry not wanting to thread hijack but....a big "yes" to those! Sealed 12" bass- fantastic.
    Do you have a separate thread for these Lawrence? As the man who has had more speakers then hot meals, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts...
    I haven't started a thread just yet, the issue being that with the neighbours in lockdown with kids at home, and the dad's an NHS consultant, I haven't had the chance to turn them up to anything like what they can do. And that's such a shame as I have wired up my 1000wpc Ice power amp!!

What I can say is that a review of the Mk3 versions that said that are like studio monitors with bass is not a million miles away. But that isn't to say that they are clinical, they are transparent to the source so I've warmed them up with my Sabre Dac (if warm/Sabre sounds odd then have a play with op amps!) and also showed them to be really clean with my new Zhaolu DAC I bought off Brook.

The other point is they do reduce room interaction, with the cardioid mid/bass and sealed bass they are the least "interactive" large speakers I've had, in this house at least.
    Last edited by Lawrence001; 31-03-2020 at 01:46.

I'm Timothy.

They do have some interesting design work going on, maybe nothing new exactly, as Gradient-and probably some others, also do some things in similar ways, or has over the course of some of its models. If I had the right room, and of course the cash, these would certainly be one speaker I would be looking at. They do seem to have a nice look about them too, which is always a good thing!

I'm Timothy.

I have really been enjoying the heck out of the WLM La Scala, been running them on my Croft Micro 25/Series 7 amps, and my Naim streamer, really a lot to like here. I need to get off my ass and get my Holbo linear tracking table set back up after my move, that will be fun. I am still working at my work site, so no real “lockdown” for me as such, so no long play days to get it done. On the other hand, once the off weekends hit, I am enjoying music so much as is, that I can hardly be arsed to mess with anything!

I am sure it will happen soon though, as I also want to try my LinnenberG monobloc amps and Dac-pre on the La Scala as well. Need a swift kick in my ass I guess!

Hope everyone else doing okay during these weird times! Be well all!

I'm Russell.

My La Scala’s have been enjoying some time back in the main system now I’ve changed amps over to the Gato DIA 250 NPM.

Have to say I forgot how easy they are to listen to, very laid back and smooth presentation without any harshness at the top end due to paper tweeters.

I’m still going to demo the Davone Rays when I can as think they look amazing but if they don’t live up to the sound of the WLM’s, I’ll have no hesitation in keeping them where they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast