+ Reply to Thread

Thread: IPL Acoustics

I'm Evie.

Default IPL Acoustics

Greetings,

I have been told wonderful things about the IPL transmission line speaker kits - that these designs compete with speakers at the £3K level (in terms of sound quality) - does anybody have first hand experience?
    Do they need substantial power amplification?

As always, I'm grateful for any advice.
    LKB

I'm Richard.

Hi Evie,

My hobby is building IPL kits for customers and I can confirm that they are excellent speakers and to my mind are one of the best kept secrets in the industry. They compare very favourably with all but the most esoteric speakers and if you have the ability to build one they offer fantastic value for money. They do not need substantial power to drive them but the better the amplification you have the better they will sound. Ivan gives suggested power requirements on his website. Bear in mind you must match the size of the speaker to the size of your room and orientation. If you contact Ivan he will give you all the advice you need. I appreciate that it is a long way from Sheffield to Ilfracombe but I you can (when things get back to normal!) go and see Ivan and have a listen to what he has to offer. I would be very surprised if you didn't think that the journey was not worthwhile.

Richard.

P.S If you look back on this and other forums you will find a lot of information about IPL.

I'm Jerry.

Yes, I built a pair (with help) and really like the sound they produce. The drive units are high quality as are the crossover components-go for it!

Richard, just out of interest, which amp do you use?

Jerry
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Richard.

Afternoon Jerry,

Because I am a home cinema man as well as wanting to listen to music I use an Arcam AVR 550. I am blown away by the Dirac room/speaker correction and use it all the time. It sounds pretty good without it IMO but when it it used it feels like a live performance! My ultimate aim is to add Hypex or Purefi power amps but demand for speaker building is very low ATM so I can't justify using my own money to fine tune my system.

Richard.

I'm Richard.

Afternoon Jerry,

Because I am a home cinema man as well as wanting to listen to music I use an Arcam AVR 550. I am blown away by the Dirac room/speaker correction and use it all the time. It sounds pretty good without it IMO but when it it used it feels like a live performance! My ultimate aim is to add Hypex or Purefi power amps but demand for speaker building is very low ATM so I can't justify using my own money to fine tune my system.

Richard.

+ Reply to Thread