+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This Device is phase-inverting

I'm Andrew.

Default This Device is phase-inverting

What actions do I need to take with this preamp? Should I swap cables around?
    And I take it that RIAA stands for turntable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Hi,Andrew,
    Its nothing to do with cables, it means that the signal going into the input is inverted somewhere in the circuit, hence the output signal is inverted, compared to the input, hope this helps.
    And yes, RIAA refers to the phono input.
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Dave.

Really depends if you think you can detect the phase inversion, which I'd suggest that you probably can't. If it bothers you, you can put another phase inversion in - I think fairly simply if you connect to another unit, or to loudspeakers. If it's functioning as a pre-amp you just need cables with the signal wires swapped over. Otherwise just let the signal propagate through your replay chain, then swap the loudspeaker cables over - i.e. if you have a left speaker with (say) a red plug, and a blackplug - just swap those over - similarly for the right speaker. If it makes any difference at all, it would be at the start of a transient, such as a hard drum thwack.

I doubt that you'll notice a difference, but if you convince yourself you will, then you probably will!
    Dave

I'm Andrew.

Nop I hear nothing but beautiful sounds

I'm openingabottleofwine.

The preamp inverts the phase, that is: a positive-going input signal results in a negative-going signal at the output. If the power amplifier is also phase inverting then overall there will be no change. But if your power amplifier is not phase inverting, then all you need to do is invert the speaker cables: that is plug the red lead into the black socket on the amplifier output, and vice versa. Do this for both channels.

The American audiophiles seem to be far more concerned about phase inversion than others. A good while ago I spent some time experimenting with this (my preamp has a phase switch, so I can invert the phase at will), and found I could not hear any difference. However others may find they can hear a difference.
    Barry

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    If it's functioning as a pre-amp you just need cables with the signal wires swapped over.
    NO NO NO>

It's an unbalanced signal, otherwise known as single ended, If you swap the signal wires you connect the screen to the 'hot'.

Swapping the speaker wires over is different and perfectly OK.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    NO NO NO>

It's an unbalanced signal, otherwise known as single ended, If you swap the signal wires you connect the screen to the 'hot'.

Swapping the speaker wires over is different and perfectly OK.
    So I still connect my red and black speaker cables to the red and black speaker outs on the monoblocks ( your monoblocks) ?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by andyrlb View Post
    So I still connect my red and black speaker cables to the red and black speaker outs on the monoblocks ( your monoblocks) ?
    Yes - red plug of the speaker cable to the black socket on the power amp, and black plug of the speaker cable to the red socket. Do this for both speaker cables.
    Barry

I'm Andrew.

I’ll try it now

I'm Andrew.

Nop I can’t hear any difference

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast