+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Croft combo to keep?

I'm Guillermo.

I've read elsewhere that if you are using a tube amp, then go LS3/5a. If using SS, then go P3ESR.

Thoughts?

I'm Dave.

I doubt see how that could possibly be true. I regularly use valves with Harbeth speakers and LS3/5A and SS with either.

Makes no sense - perhaps someone is under the impression that the higher impedance of vintage LS3/5A is easier on valve amps but any half decent valve amp will work perfectly with Harbeth and modern LS3/5A are not all amp friendly.

I'm Timothy.

ullogu1, I too am in the USA, and use Croft Micro 25 and Series 7 amplifiers, I love them, use them with a couple of speakers, Duevel Venus Omni and WLM La Scala monitors, both are fantastic.

I do understand the issue a bit with Croft in the states being able to even listen to them before purchase, makes it hard to sort out based on sound quality, or anything really but forum blurb, or a rare review.

Seeing as you already have the upper end line preamp and the phonostage, I would say keep them, they will go the distance and sound great no matter what. You don’t say what amplifer you are using in conjunction, unless I missed it, but a Croft would be nice, obviously others will work.

I don’t know if you have discussed anything with Gene Rubin, he is a fantastic dealer there in California, and can get almost anything Croft, he might even take trades if you go that route.

Bottom line, your Croft’s will sound great with Harbeth, have fun and enjoy the journey, most of all, your music!
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

I'm Guillermo.

Funny you mentioned Gene Rubin as that's where I'm getting the Harbeths. He offered me a good deal (I think) on a new pair. I actually prefer the regular 25 to the 25RS. I find the RS just a little too much. Almost too articulate- lower frequencies just too clear- doesn't blend. Maybe my tastes aren't audiophile grade. I'm leaning now to keeping the regular 25 and am considering keeping the RIAA RS. Listening now to some Bill Evans.

I'm still unsure as to what to do power amp wise. Right now I have a mid 1990s Sony which seems to be nice but I'm certainly no expert. I bought it for $200 and seemed to get good reviews on other sites. I do wish the Croft 7 had more power. Are there other amps that would be good buys on the used market?

I also use a Dragonfly Red as a DAC for streaming. Should I be working on getting something different?

Appreciate the input!

-Guillermo

I'm Timothy.

Hey, you are taking heed to your own ears, that is what matters with any of this, so if you prefer the standard 25, so be it! At least you have some trade/sell value in your RS, although US values are pretty crap on Croft in general, unfortunately.

As to the Croft amps and power, the Series 7 would power the Harbeths just fine, providing you aren’t trying to power a large space, and then it is a matter of why the P3’s then. Again, if the Sony works for you, it matters not.

Gene is a good guy, he won’t steer you wrong, he has been around a long time, and knows his products very well.
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12