+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FS: Parasound HALO A21 power amplifier

I'm Richard.

Default FS: Parasound HALO A21 power amplifier

Designed by the legendary John Curl, a high end amplifier at a real world price. Performing at a level well above its price point, I bought this new about 3 years ago when I was building loudspeakers and needed a power amp that would drive anything. It even drove Apogee ribbons with aplomb. And with 250 watts into 8 ohms , 400 watts into 4 ohms, and the ability to drive down to 2 ohms (with reduced power) I never found anything it couldn't handle. It runs in class A up to about 10 watts, which is where most listening is done, and has detail in spades. It also has sensitivity controls on the back, which I found useful as balance controls, as my room makes every speaker seem louder on the left!
    The only reason I am selling it is because I now have Quad 2805 electrostatic speakers and want a lower powered valve amp. This amp drives then with no problem, but it's overkill for my needs. This cost me £2600 new, and I thought it was a bargain at that.

Plenty of reviews online. http://www.theabsolutesound.com/arti...reo-amplifier/

I'm asking £1,600.

It looks like new, and comes with the original double box. See Parasound's website for more details. It weighs about 60 lbs, so local pickup would be preferred, but I am in Plymouth. Postage would be at cost, depending on if you want it insured. Buyer's risk, if not.

It's hard to photo well with a phone camera, being black!

ABD.

I'm Justin.

In many ways a great amp. I owned one and to this day it did things on my Apogees nothing else has been able to do.

Massively powerful, well made and able to deliver a feeling of complete control and authority. There are times when its performance will make your jaw drop.

I have heard this very amp in my listening room. It's good and so is the seller

I'm Richard.

Aw, shucks.
    ABD.

I'm Justin.

Sweet, aren't I?

Note this amp survived 18 months chez Jerry. That's a good innings for Jerry. A very, very good innings.

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Sweet, aren't I?

Note this amp survived 18 months chez Jerry. That's a good innings for Jerry. A very, very good innings.
    Not this actual one, it should be emphasised!
    And I just found out I can send it via APC insured for about £25!
    ABD.

I'm Justin.

No Jerry's was silver as was mine.

It looks better in black I think.

I'm Richard.

UPDATE. A bit longwinded, but then I'm not exactly busy!

This IS still for sale, but I rang my chosen courier (APC) this morning, and they are trying to avoid collecting non-essential packages. And I guess this amp isn't exactly essential.

They are hoping it will settle down in a few days, when the panic posting stops. So if someone does buy it, and I can't post it immediately, after say one week, I will offer a full refund or I will hold it until the situation clears. Or a refund at any point thereafter. Fortunately I don't need the money for living (retired with no mortgage) so it will sit in my account until everything is sorted out. It's only to (part) fund my next amp.

And on that subject, I am looking at either a pair of Icon Audio MB90 IIs, or a pair of GM70, or 211, SE monoblocks. So thanks for all the suggested replacements (elsewhere), but I have good idea of what I want.
    ABD.

I'm Richard.

A fantastic amp. I have had mine for years and bought Jerry's old one too which ended up in a mate's system. I have a Conrad Johnson SA350 Premium as well and it compares well. It's very power-cable sensitive (I settled on Audience AU24SE) and fuses make a big difference too. I have AMR Golds inside (cheap and excellent there) and an Audio Magic Beeswax Ultimate in the IEC inlet which is violently expensive but makes a jaw-dropping difference. Agree with all comments above. A phenomenally good end-game amp. Unless you can afford a A21+ or a JC5, but they are lots more money. Later A21s like this one have better capacitor arrangement that allows for easier re-capping if and when necessary. Hope this helps.

I'm Richard.

Bump
    ABD.

I'm Richard.

Very bored bump.
    ABD.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast