+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Scarlett Audio Interfaces

I'm Dave.

Default Scarlett Audio Interfaces

Does anyone here have experience of the Focusrite Scarlett audio interfaces? These have been highly recommended to me, and I'm veering towards the higher ends of the range - say the 18i8 model, though in the first instance it is very probably significant overkill for my immediate needs.

Primarily these would be used for recording, but it occurs to me that these could also be used as headphone amps, so might be useful "even" only for that purpose. Possibly these would be really good for that.

They could also be used with DAW software to take regular audio (i.e. CD or other inputs) to drive room speakers. With a DAW such as Logic Pro X, this could add in ambience to recordings, which might improve the way the recordings sound - particularly if they are very dry.

One thing I'm not sure about is whether the microphone inputs are mono or stereo. i.e. will take 3 pin cables as well as 5 pin. Actually from the pictures I've seen these look like 3 pin (mono) inputs only - but I haven't used microphones with XLR interfaces before, so I can't be absolutely sure looking at the diagrams and figures on relevant web sites. With the particular 18i8 unit, this has 4 mic XLR inputs - but for mixing are these treated as 2 x stereo - or can the unit actually mix 4 x stereo mic inputs? I'm guessing actually it'll only do 2x stereo, as otherwise there might also have to be balance controls for each input, which I don't see.

Comments on this would be helpful.
    Dave

I'm Rohan.

Hi Dave,

Those mic pres are definitely mono, so you would be looking at 2x stereo rather than 4.The Focusrite stuff is good, but a lot of musicians at the cheaper end of recording can't get over the sound of the Apollo Twin...maybe worth a look?

One interesting thing about your idea to use a daw to playback stuff is, rather than your idea of adding reverb to recordings....you could change the very nature of the sound playback itself.
    Want to hear what a modern album might have sounded like recorded to 15ips tape back in the 70s? Tape sim plugins are everywhere. Fancy the sound of valves in your transistor based system? Valve preamp/amp simulators abound.

Of course some of the better playback systems such as Audirvana already allow the insertation of such plugins in the playback chain...

I'm Andre.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    Does anyone here have experience of the Focusrite Scarlett audio interfaces? These have been highly recommended to me, and I'm veering towards the higher ends of the range - say the 18i8 model, though in the first instance it is very probably significant overkill for my immediate needs.

Primarily these would be used for recording, but it occurs to me that these could also be used as headphone amps, so might be useful "even" only for that purpose. Possibly these would be really good for that.

They could also be used with DAW software to take regular audio (i.e. CD or other inputs) to drive room speakers. With a DAW such as Logic Pro X, this could add in ambience to recordings, which might improve the way the recordings sound - particularly if they are very dry.

One thing I'm not sure about is whether the microphone inputs are mono or stereo. i.e. will take 3 pin cables as well as 5 pin. Actually from the pictures I've seen these look like 3 pin (mono) inputs only - but I haven't used microphones with XLR interfaces before, so I can't be absolutely sure looking at the diagrams and figures on relevant web sites. With the particular 18i8 unit, this has 4 mic XLR inputs - but for mixing are these treated as 2 x stereo - or can the unit actually mix 4 x stereo mic inputs? I'm guessing actually it'll only do 2x stereo, as otherwise there might also have to be balance controls for each input, which I don't see.

Comments on this would be helpful.
    I do Home studio. Only last year i used a Focusrite 'Scarlet 4i4' Sounded great for its job i bought it for but was no good for me with Headphone listening. So i sold it & bought a Roland 'Rubix 44'. Same with that. Just went back to a mixing console.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by VanDerGraaf View Post
    Hi Dave,

Those mic pres are definitely mono, so you would be looking at 2x stereo rather than 4.
    I suspected as much. Are nearly all devices like this mono only for channels? Unlike DAWs where some "multi" channels are that - for example "stereo= 2 x mono" and possibly some surround channels may be bundled together too as a single channel in some DAWs. If not now, in the future perhaps.

Re the mic inputs then, does that mean that for some stereo mics. a different XLR cable is needed with 2 plugs at the end?
    This is swinging me more towards the 4 or 8 input models.

The Focusrite stuff is good, but a lot of musicians at the cheaper end of recording can't get over the sound of the Apollo Twin...maybe worth a look?
    I'll look it out. Others have recommended Motu. My hunch at the moment is to stick with Focusrite.

One interesting thing about your idea to use a daw to playback stuff is, rather than your idea of adding reverb to recordings....you could change the very nature of the sound playback itself.
    Want to hear what a modern album might have sounded like recorded to 15ips tape back in the 70s? Tape sim plugins are everywhere. Fancy the sound of valves in your transistor based system? Valve preamp/amp simulators abound.

Of course some of the better playback systems such as Audirvana already allow the insertation of such plugins in the playback chain...
    I didn't know Audirvana would do things like that. I've only recently discovered how to make Logic work, and for recordings I've made myself - although I don't "approve" of artificially tinkering with the sound, adding reverb on playback makes some playing (usually my own) sound much more bearable. I do that on both recording and playback, as you have hinted. I have also wondered if feeding the output from other sources - CD players etc. back through Logic, adding in some processing before squirting it back out to the speakers might make a big difference to some recordings. Why ever not?!!

Some people may have hardware mixing desks and effects boxes - perhaps from a "former life". I haven't, so I don't know much about them. Might be good to feed recordings through one of those too.

PS: Apollo - mmmm - Cheappies - https://www.gear4music.com/Recording...underbolt/35BH

Even the Twin is still quite pricey - https://www.gear4music.com/Recording...underbolt/35BE
    Dave

I'm Dave.

Default Microphone sounds - personal favourites ... and why?

I have been watching and listening to a number of Youtube videos, in particular relating to Audio Interfaces (e.g. Scarlett units, or maybe Motu) and several about microphones. One concern is that sometimes I really can't hear the differences betwee the different microphones - though sometimes I can.

One reason for this could be very simple - the Youtube audio. What is the point of putting up reviews of audio kit on Youtube if the whole system can't cope with the quality required? I have come across this in other areas too - such as on the Thomann.de site - try doing comparisons of instruments. Sometimes the sonic differences betwee different instruments are very "subtle" and sometimes they are so "subtle" as to be inaudible to someone like me.

Another reason could be that the equipment I'm listening on is not good enough. OK - that's possible, but often I don't even consider going over to hook up better kit unless I think there is going to be a difference. Then I will, if I'm interested.

A third reason could be that my hearing is shot - which sometimes it is - and indeed was in my right ear until a week or so back. I tend to suffer from wax quite a lot, and sometimes that can easily knock 30dB off - not good.

Some of the videos I've been watching do mention "preferences" for mic. sounds - suiting different instruments, and some people do clearly have preferences. Some of these may be for very reasonable reasons, such as avoiding blasting, clipping etc. Also some of the microphones may have audible noise if the levels are turned up sky high - though at normal levels most microphones should be OK - IMO. If they're not, then they are ****,

Other reasons why microphones might sound different include the frequency response - which might be nothing like flat enough. That might tend to "warm" the tones in some ranges, and some people may like that. For stereo mics another factor might be if the L and R sides are not balanced properly - though many people don't use stero mics anyway - either recording stereo by using mono and pan-potting the single channel into a mix, or using a pair of mono mics in some configuration or other .....

So - are there any microphones which people particularly like, and if so, why? Even some cheap ones sound good enough for many purposes.

With the current problems with corona virus, I've noticed that some people may be more interested in buying audio and microphone kit, either for business reasons, or to keep in touch with their friends and family members. I guess most people will just use the microphones and videos in their phones and laptops though, but some want to do better than that.
    Dave

I'm Dave.

I'm using an iPad as my digital front-end, going into the DAC of the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (1st gen). It's a decent sounding DAC, and I've also used it for recording/processing signals.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr-Sardonicus View Post
    I'm using an iPad as my digital front-end, going into the DAC of the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (1st gen). It's a decent sounding DAC, and I've also used it for recording/processing signals.
    Is that a DAC or ADC? Are you feeding the headphone output back into the Scarlet analogue inputs, or is there a direct digital input? It is possible to get a digital output from an iPad I think, but you need a special cable, or need to know how to make one up, surely?
    Dave

I'm Dave.

One possible problem with the 3rd generation models of the Scarlett range is that some of the functions are driven by software. This may not actually be insurmountable, but it looks as though most of the 2nd generation models had switches which function in hardware on the front panel, whereas the 3rd generation models only have indicator lights, and presumably there are software switches in the Focusrite control software. Also, routing to a DAW might be fairly complicated (at least if you're like me, and don't know what you're doing ....) as presumably there are virtual outputs for surround sound and other purposes. If all the mixing is to be done in the Scarlett units, then the outputs will be stereo, but with many newer (or updated) DAWs there may well be effectively more outputs. Routing inputs from the Scarlett devices to tracks in the DAW might present some problems - or at the very least, headache inducing intensive reading of the user manuals.
    Dave

I'm Neil.

The new SSL USB interfaces look much more interesting than the Scarlett ones.

These are getting rave reviews, am probably going to get the SSL 2+ for myself.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm drunk.

I am using the Scarlet 8i6. It is a replacement for a Komplete Audio 6. Here is a copy of the brief review I posted on Gearslutz.

I have just purchased a Gen 3 Scarlett 8i6 to replace an NI Komplete Audio 6 and have to say, I am very impressed with it.

I have been using the KA6 for about 5 years without issue and running it into a pair of Adam A3Xs. I have always enjoyed the sound and listen mainly to rock, or trance & techno through the system. Following a major PC upgrade including moving the OS to Windows 10, the KA6 has been nothing but problems. The audio drivers kept crashing or freezing, requiring the KA6 to be unplugged, or the drivers restarted. After 3 weeks of this, I gave up and started searching for a replacement.

I chose the 8i6 due to number of inputs and Focusrite's pedigree in the Pro PA field (I used to work in event production). Upon opening the box, I was initially struck by its looks, it is indeed a thing of beauty. I will concede the KA6 did feel a bit chunkier, but the Scarlet looks drop dead gorgeous.

Within 2 minutes of plugging it in and listening to some music, my girlfriend came in and commented on how much better everything sounded. I was just sat there with a silly grin. Compared to the KA6, it is considerably more open and detailed. Listening to dance music, the Scarlet really does let the music flow, but also keeps tight control of it. I find the sound both exciting and invigorating and the bottom end is rock solid and deep.

I honestly thought the KA6 was a bloody good interface and have always been very happy with it. Looking back, I am strangely happy that everything went pear shaped with the PC upgrade, otherwise I would still be listening to it now and missing out on the luscious sound I have now. It drives the Adams to obscene levels and I am impressed the the tight bass they are now producing.

For Headphones, I am using a pair of Audio Technica ES700s. Admittedly these are more hi-fi than studio, but they are comfy and I like their sound. The Scarlett will drive them without issue to painfully loud levels while still remaining focussed and in control.

Anyway, if you are thinking about dropping the cash on one, at the very least go and have a listen. You wont regret it, but your credit card might.

+ Reply to Thread