+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Prima Luna Findings and Questions

I'm Mike.

Well out of the box it runs 8 EL34’s giving me 70wpc into 8 ohms so power isn’t an issue and I can imagine 8 KT88’s or 120’s isn’t going to be cheap, I think it might be something I do later on in the year

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Steve.

Ran a VTL with EL34's for years and found them weak for my speakers. Tried Svetlanas, JJ's and Tungsols with the latter being the best and middle being worst by a margin.

Thought it was because EL34's weren't very good. Went round to a friend who has a Radford with EL34's and a Trilogy with KT88's driving Tannoys. I much preferred the EL34's!

I think it depends what speakers you are driving.

The Prima Lunas are very good and you are lucky you can try different types so I would keep on going until you are happy.
    Thorens TD550, Ortofon 12", Ortofon Jubilee or Koetsu Black; Rothwell MCL SUT, VTL 2.5 pre, XTC POW 1 power; Naim CD5x; KEF Reference 3.2's; Van den Hul interconnects and speaker cables.

I'm Shaun.

At this moment in time I am considering Genalex Gold Lion KT88's. I have used Gold Lion valves in the past and been seriously impressed by the sound and quality of finish.

I'm Mike.

Like many electrical and electronic components and i imagine valves are no different, a particular model will have it's designed operating window, so matching valves so they are as similar as possible is important, in my case i'll have 4 EL34's per chanel so when i come to try experimenting i'll need 8 valves that all perform similarly to get the best out of them and the amp, or am i just talking crap?

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Philip.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    Like many electrical and electronic components and i imagine valves are no different, a particular model will have it's designed operating window, so matching valves so they are as similar as possible is important, in my case i'll have 4 EL34's per chanel so when i come to try experimenting i'll need 8 valves that all perform similarly to get the best out of them and the amp, or am i just talking crap?
    That’s where biasing comes in, matching the current draw of each valve. If your amp is auto bias it is recommended to start with reasonably matched valves.
    You get more leeway with manually biased amps.

I'm Shaun.

Prima Luna claim that their amps use adaptive auto bias so there is no need to match any valves. They also claim that their amps work perfectly with a whole host of KT/6550/EL34 and others. Jack of all trades, master of none..? I don't have the knowledge to answer that one.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Prima Luna claim that their amps use adaptive auto bias so there is no need to match any valves. They also claim that their amps work perfectly with a whole host of KT/6550/EL34 and others. Jack of all trades, master of none..? I don't have the knowledge to answer that one.
    Upscale Audio on YouTube

I'm Shane.

That Kevin from Upscale Audio is nothing, but a charming sales man. Never trust them.

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Tend to agree, Unfortunetly, like many people in this industry, Kevin will seemingly promote what he has, when he has it, hence my earliar quote concerning the KT120/150, nothing wrong with being a salesman, as long as you can do it with honesty, and integrity.
    Quote Originally Posted by southall-1998_mk2 View Post
    That Kevin from Upscale Audio is nothing, but a charming sales man. Never trust them.

S.
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    The info in the quote was from Prima Luna as stated on the tech sheet when I bought the amp. The preamp I bought secondhand so I had no spec sheet with that one.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast