+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wanted: Inexpensive MC head amp or SUT

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z View Post
    I’ve had a couple of head amps in years gone bye, I had a battery operated one when I bought a Coral 777ex back in the early 80’s which was quite inexpensive (under £50) and worked well and sounded good. A few years on I had an A&R A60 amp and bought the MC head amp that A&R made to work with it and likewise that too was very good and not too costly, with the lower cost of components/ microchips these days I find it hard to understand the high cost that a lot of these devices seem to command.
    The Coral was a nice sounding MC.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    The Coral was a nice sounding MC.
    Yes it was, worked nicely on the Hadcock GH228 that I had at the time, I wish I’d kept it rather than upgrading to the Coral MC81 which was a big mistake, it was the worst tracking cartridge I’ve ever had, it actually caused groove damage to some of my heavily modulated records, so bright the treble was unpleasant too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z View Post
    Having just upgraded my amp to a new Rega Brio I’d really like to make use of the built in phono stage which is apparently of very good quality. To make use of it I will need a step up device to match it with my moving coil cartridge. As I have an external MC coil stage already I don’t really want to spend a great deal for a transformer or head amp, certainly sub £100. I’ve been looking at the Ortofon T-5s but they tend to be in the £100 bracket, ridiculous really when they cost under a third of that price when new.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Hi,
    Having recently upgraded I have a couple of items in the cupboard gathering dust if of any interest to you..
    1. A Graham Slee Fanfare Gram Amp 3
    2. A Denon AU 320 SUT...
    Pete

Micro Seiki DD40/MA505/Denon DL304
    Musical Fidelity MX-VYNL
    Musical Fidelity X-A200R
    ATC scm11

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteT View Post
    Hi,
    Having recently upgraded I have a couple of items in the cupboard gathering dust if of any interest to you..
    2. A Denon AU 320 SUT...
    Thanks for the offer but I think they’d be a bit out of my price range. PM me to discuss if you wish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm steve.

Default Wanted: Inexpensive MC head amp or SUT

Looks like I’m sorted for an SUT, have been offered a Puresound T10 for £150, it’s a bit more than I really wanted to pay but it is well respected and has adjustable loading which is a bonus, thankfully seller is prepared to hold onto it till I can raise the cash.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by steve-z; 21-03-2020 at 21:12.

Thats a excellent deal for £150. Well done for finding one for that price and also for the person who offered it.
    Paul.

I'm James.

@PeteT
    That Denon AU320 is quite a performer, I have one and am not about to part with it. I use far pricier SUTs and yes they are a little better, but VFM the Denon wallops them. A sleeper. Happily overlooked

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteT View Post
    Hi,
    2. A Denon AU 320 SUT...
    just out of interest - how much? PM me if that's easier

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12