+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: Inexpensive MC head amp or SUT

I'm steve.

Default Wanted: Inexpensive MC head amp or SUT

Having just upgraded my amp to a new Rega Brio Iíd really like to make use of the built in phono stage which is apparently of very good quality. To make use of it I will need a step up device to match it with my moving coil cartridge. As I have an external MC coil stage already I donít really want to spend a great deal for a transformer or head amp, certainly sub £100. Iíve been looking at the Ortofon T-5s but they tend to be in the £100 bracket, ridiculous really when they cost under a third of that price when new.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Dave.

And they're not that great. You would do better using a good MM into the Brio.

I'm steve.

Default Wanted: Inexpensive MC head amp or SUT

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    And they're not that great. You would do better using a good MM into the Brio.
    Donít really want to go that route as the Planar 3 is wall mounted and over 2M from the Brio and Iíd have to extend the turntable leads which would add capacitance and probably screw up the sound of a MM cartridge, MCs donít normally get affected by increased capacitance so putting an SUT or head amp in the line would be a better bet.
    As to the T-5s, a friend of mine has used a pair for over 30 years and wouldnít part with them, think he paid £20 for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

The T-5's are not up to much, neither is the Audio Technica AT-630, I've owned them.

The Fidelity Research FRT-3 is in a totally different league and there's one for sale in Private Exhibitions, or was recently for £200. It's remarkably good.

A poor (cheap) SUT just ruins the sound from MC's and is really not worth entertaining..
    "when common sense, logic and plausibility are excluded. All that remain are foolishness and lies"

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    The T-5's are not up to much, neither is the Audio Technica AT-630, I've owned them.

The Fidelity Research FRT-3 is in a totally different league and there's one for sale in Private Exhibitions, or was recently for £200. It's remarkably good.

A poor (cheap) SUT just ruins the sound from MC's and is really not worth entertaining..
    £200 is too much to fork out, if I was spending that I put another £49 to it and buy a Rega Fono MC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z View Post
    £200 is too much to fork out, if I was spending that I put another £49 to it and buy a Rega Fono MC.
    I'd back the FRT-3 into Brio MM input against the Fono MC.
    "when common sense, logic and plausibility are excluded. All that remain are foolishness and lies"

I'm Alan.

What's the cart output level Steve?
    I may have one suitable.

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I'd back the FRT-3 into Brio MM input against the Fono MC.
    Iíve actually tried a Fono MC and found it to be excellent sounding and very versatile with the adjustable gain and loading settings, would have bought one 2 years ago except for something else absorbing the money (CH boiler failure )

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    What's the cart output level Steve?
    I may have one suitable.
    Itís an ATF7 and itís 0.35mv.

I'm steve.

Iíve had a couple of head amps in years gone bye, I had a battery operated one when I bought a Coral 777ex back in the early 80ís which was quite inexpensive (under £50) and worked well and sounded good. A few years on I had an A&R A60 amp and bought the MC head amp that A&R made to work with it and likewise that too was very good and not too costly, with the lower cost of components/ microchips these days I find it hard to understand the high cost that a lot of these devices seem to command.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast