+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update gear or not?

I'm Johan.

Default Update gear or not?

Hi, recently my Quad 66 cd player started skipping. I disassemble / reassembled / cleaned the device, checked its bearings etc. and everything seems ok at the moment. But as this second hand device has been serviced before by the seller (display replacement, soldering), I'm not sure how long this device will last as it is an old device. I like the fact that the cd tray opens 100% (my much newer Marantz opens just 80% by design which I find unpractical as I can't insert cd's vertically) and the Marantz player automatically closes the tray after a (too small) timeout. And I prefer the Quad 66 esthetically, also because it fits my Quad 606 MKII power amp + Quad 66 pre-amp.

After disassembling my cd player I came up with the idea of looking for a second hand replacement Quad cd player. But I'm too afraid I will run in problems again as cd players feel too technically complicated / fagile. So I started looking for a new player. I checked the Quad Artera series, but I don't like the looks. After a while I discovered a cd player by the French Atoll company which seems to have a similar width as the Quad MKII power amplifier:

https://www.atoll-electronique.com/e...-player-md100/

I guess this player would make an esthetically good mach to the Quad set. If I'm correct, Atoll is a respected company? And if I'm correct, sound quality differences between DAC's / well designed players are negligible? (at least to my ears)

Another much more expensive option would be to sell the complete Quad set and replace it with a new set, for instance a Atoll cd player with an integrated amplifier:

https://www.atoll-electronique.com/e...ated-in200sig/

I'm wondering what would be the benefit: newer gear that would last longer? I quess there won't be much differenfce sonically. How would the Atoll amplifier compare to the Quad 606 MK2? Would it be as stable to drive big electrostatic panels? Or should I stick with the Quad 606MK2's?

I'm Phil.

a lot of questions there Johan

Atoll is not that well known in UK but one or two reviews in mags recently and a thread here

https://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/.../#post-3916295

I would say focus on the cd player for now , there are massive differences in dacs and cd players . If you buy the atoll new you will get a warrenty .

when all that is settled you may like to look at amps ,

have you seen this marantz player ?

https://www.hifix.co.uk/marantz-hd-c...oaApE0EALw_wcB
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by j.postema View Post
    And if I'm correct, sound quality differences between DAC's / well designed players are negligible? (at least to my ears)
    Not in my experience. Every model of CD player I've used has sounded different, as has each stand alone DAC. Very much so.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Andre.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Not in my experience. Every model of CD player I've used has sounded different, as has each stand alone DAC. Very much so.
    Would they sound different is you bypasses each internal DAC with an outboard DAC?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Made in 1968 View Post
    Would they sound different is you bypasses each internal DAC with an outboard DAC?
    Which is what I generally do, running the players into a separate DAC. Although I occasionally use the onboard DACs for ease of setup.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Andre.

CD players are only the same as Pre amps in the respect you can get the best out of them by changing DAC or Phono stage. So i guess his mention of Aesthetic match is more important if using a DAC of choice..

Kinda what i was going thru with the mention of my new amp not sounding as good as the other because of the new amps Phono stage letting the side down, However i was stuck as i did not want separate box in addition, hence switched back to the old amp ..

I'm Dennis.

I've given up on the 'Chadwell' "Quite a nice set isn't it" aspect with my equipment, and choose on longevity and SQ.

What are you trying to do, have a nice presentation to show people, or pursue good sound?

I'm Johan.

Thanks for your suggestions. I will test my current Quad cd player and sell it if it stays ok. Thanks for the Marantz suggestion, looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    a lot of questions there Johan

Atoll is not that well known in UK but one or two reviews in mags recently and a thread here

https://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/.../#post-3916295

I would say focus on the cd player for now , there are massive differences in dacs and cd players . If you buy the atoll new you will get a warrenty .

when all that is settled you may like to look at amps ,

have you seen this marantz player ?

https://www.hifix.co.uk/marantz-hd-c...oaApE0EALw_wcB

I'm Johan.

Thanks for your reply. Longevity and soundquality are more important to me than esthetics. That's why I find it hard to choose what option would be good: at least I think I should replace my cd player in near future because it is old and had skipping problems. But I prefer the new player to match esthetically with the pre / power aplifier. At the same time, I have no idea how a different amplifier would interact with my big electrostatic loudspeakers - they are not the most common / easiest type of load (capacative). As far as I'm aware the Quad 606 MKII is very stable and has no problems to drive difficult loads like my big panels. So I think I would either keep my Quad amplifier and replace the cd player, or replace the complete system. I'm still a bit afraid of future problems (service) for the Quad power and pre-amp - just because of it's age. (around 30 years) I'm not sure if this is an acutal problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    I've given up on the 'Chadwell' "Quite a nice set isn't it" aspect with my equipment, and choose on longevity and SQ.

What are you trying to do, have a nice presentation to show people, or pursue good sound?
    Last edited by j.postema; 18-03-2020 at 12:55.

I'm Martin.

You can get the QUAD amplifiers fixed by any number of people so I wouldn't worry about that.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast