+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Line Attenuators

I'm Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Correct.

Using a sound level meter, I found for normal listening the level was 55dBA. For serious listening the level would be increased to 60dBA. And at 75dBA, I was shaking the floorboards.
    Can you recommend a sound level meter or would my iPhone 11 be good enough?
    Thanks
    It’s about the music
    70s Retro Yamaha YP800TT, CA1000Mk2, CT1010

I'm Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    My normal listening level is about 60 dB - as a background, and the vol pot is at 9 O'clock for that.

When listening seriously I only raise the levels to 70 to 75, which is a rotation to about 11 O' clock.

The position of the vol pot has nothing to do with the capabilities of the 606, it is an indication of how much voltage is being delivered by your pre to the 606.

It is generally thought that 10dB represents a doubling of loudness.
    Thanks that’s very helpful in understanding what is going on.
    Does the pre increase the voltage as you turn the volume up to the 606?
    Also does increased voltage into the 606 lead to increasing the wattage?
    If the 606 is 140w, is that continuous or does it increase according to the pre volume?
    Thanks
    It’s about the music
    70s Retro Yamaha YP800TT, CA1000Mk2, CT1010

I'm Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by eldarvanyar View Post
    Thanks that’s very helpful in understanding what is going on.
    Does the pre increase the voltage as you turn the volume up to the 606?

# Yes it increases the pre O/P voltage provided to the power amp.

Also does increased voltage into the 606 lead to increasing the wattage?

# The pre O/P wattage increases slightly, but is not a consideration, the preamp power being minimal; it is a device designed to provide voltage gain.

The pre when providing a higher voltage to the power amp, drives, ('instructs') the power amp to apply a higher voltage across the speakers, which then draw more current, and dissipate a higher wattage. More wattage - higher sound O/P.

If the 606 is 140w, is that continuous or does it increase according to the pre volume?

# That is a maximum capability, (potential ability) which is only reached if it is driven hard enough, and very unlikely.
    You could think of the pre as a water tap handle, that controlling the water flow, the latter caused by the water pressure provided by the water suppliers.
    Thanks
    # Hope this helps.

I'm Ian.

Is this on cd/dac Whst happens with non digital sources - update for clarity - I mean the excessive volume ?
    Last edited by Mr.Ian; 19-03-2020 at 09:00. Reason: update for clarit

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Can you recommend a sound level meter or would my iPhone 11 be good enough?
    Thanks
    Lee,

The sound level meter I used was bought from Maplin. It belonged to a friend of mine, and I borrowed it out of curiosity. Can't comment on the accuracy (the meter was not expensive), however it was 'interesting' to see just how uneven the response of my speakers/room was.
    Barry

I'm Dennis.

I was also going to mention that I had a Maplin one, fairly cheap but quite heavy, and criticised by Alan Shaw for being cheap.

Actually I have been impressed with mine but I have not compared it with a serious one.

It cost about £30, and was on offer for £15 when introduced.

Instinctually I feel it to be quite good.

I'm Shaun.

I can only speak from my own experience but back in 2009 I had a Croft pre/power combination and used Golden Jacks attenuators to over come the ridiculous over sensitivity of the amps. As a by product I also noticed a marked improvement in sound quality.

I'm Mike.

My limited experience in using attenuators to tame the 3.4 V output of my CDP into my valved pre is that the less attenuation you use (at the pre. end in my case), the less it affects s.q.

Despite learned technician types on another forum recommending -20 dB attenuation or more, I tried a friend's -10 dB and -15dB ones, which were too much. Ended up buying a Goldenjacks -6 DB. Absolutely no perceivable detrimental affect on s.q,., but made all the difference in making all my sources show within the VU meter range.

I'm Chris.

I am finding I can only listen up to 11 o’clock maximum otherwise it is too loud. The 606 has a lot of power.
    Passive attenuation therefore is the answer needed. Less components that are potentially altering the audio signal between your source and power amp,
    with a passive - will bring beneficial result.

There are many forms of passive, that are all worthwhile auditioning.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    Passive attenuation therefore is the answer needed. Less components that are potentially altering the audio signal between your source and power amp,
    with a passive - will bring beneficial result.

There are many forms of passive, that are all worthwhile auditioning.
    Really?? I thought there was only one type of passive attenuation worth auditioning

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast