+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playtime a monster Amp

I'm Colin.

Default Playtime a monster Amp

Some new toys I am playing with, with A - A/B select and remote cable sense and Balance and Un-balance input Mono amps about 70W max 8Ohm. 1 channel shown here.

Each channel (1 shown) 4 off 47,000uF 2 off 300VA at 15V transformer. 12 output devices, 4 temperature sensors.Ag wire in PTFE for input and output wires. Poly Carbonate input caps. BW 1Hz - 400KHz flat 70W/8R 140W/4R bias from 30W Class A to 5W Class A in A/B mode. SECA driver stage max 140MHz BW to control with ease silly loads. Very expensive to make lots of time and very costly bits.

All working.
    75W/8R 140W/4R as it is a pair of Mono Amps
    Low A Class setting 5W 8R
    High A Class setting 30W/8R
    BW 1Hz - 326KHz flat
    Balance or Non Balance input 1V full power.
    Input RCA 22KR
    Input Balance XLR 600R nom (1KR)
    Max short term current peak 62 Amps
    Damping Factor (silly)

To select amp function there are switches to select Balance and High/Low A Class
    THD Low A Class 0.001% into 8R at 20Hz - 50KHz
    THD High A Class ( silly) 0.00001% 8R at 10Hz - 100KHz

More tests to be done on sense load input.

From Alan on Audiochews

10:00AM edited 10:01AM Flag
    Hi Col, thanks for your comment!

We played a track by PanSonic from Katodivaihe (Cathodephase) called Virta 1. This EP is to all intents and purposes a hifi torture fest, and is interesting if you enjoy electronic music. The bass was literally propulsive, I don't think I experienced anything like this before. Vibration of the wall, sofa, the air between my hands. It's a good thing my neighbor was out! Yet Colin and I could still converse without raising our voices.

Using the amp without its feed forward wiring first, we watched in amazement as the twin aluminium bass drivers performed acrobatics and wondered how the sound wasn't distorting in any appreciable way (I had never seen then move until now). This sound very much the same as the M-100T I had here for a while. Colin smiled the satisfied smirk of a designer who knew he has knocked out out of the park - again.

Adding the feed forward was fascinating. The drivers appeared to barely move in comparison, the twisting at the end of their travel was utterly eliminated. So strange to see a visible manifestation of this feature!

As for the sound, it did that thing you might remember when you first heard a SECA amplifier. That wonderful infusion of subtle detail, superlative speed and convincing warmth, the sound now coupling with and driving the room like you'd not heard before after listening to transistor amps with dampng factors of around a hundred; now a SECA with a DF of thousands could intimately connect you with the music. A performance rather than simply music. Similarly this amplifier can do even better and above a SECA, but at any volume level. This in turn throws the sound image forward and spreads it wider.

We also played 'Love turns forty' by Vienna Teng, which is the other track I think Colin refers to. It's a lovely detailed recording with a double bass. And Lia Ices 'Daphne' for that matter, which also features a string section. Colin is right, the wood body of the cellos and bass was so vivid as to really be striking.

The aspect I'm appreciating most right now is the bass depth and power being present at low volume, the system coupling to my rooms acoustic. The extra control finally sates a desire for scale and presence at any volume, full musical body and texture at low volume with huge imaging. Yet at high volume it appears not to be loud at all (an illusion), but rather bigger. More powerful. More insistent. More - just more. Effortless. Arresting.

This amplifier seems to be so fast, so capable that it doesn't even have to try. The Revels appear to match it's abilities foot for foot, and are just as impressive a piece of engineering. I don't doubt which would ultimately win though, this amp being capable of 64A output into DC! However, I would be Deafened long before that. This is a fascinating exercise in building a system around superb engineering, and the music taking care of itself.

Thank you, Colin. ��"

http://www.audiochews.com/…/playtime...-contro…

Drawing up new PCB's with the functions plus Softstart, Zero Crossing Low Noise SSR control ( my patent) with DC blocking and RFI filtering, push button operation, So watch this space.

I'm Kevin.

The retirement is going well then?

You just can’t keep a good man down.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Colin.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    The retirement is going well then?

You just can’t keep a good man down.
    I get bored seen all the "Fringe" watched all Star Trek, "the Good Doctor" Just getting bored and now we old gits have to stay at home for months and months and that is going down well.
    Thank goodness I have loads of videos, and music.
    All hospital appointments stopped so no lovely nurses to sit and have coffee with a bummer time. Garden to wet so that is out. decorating done so that is on stop.

What it like with you Cagey ?

I'm Grant.

Scottish govt looks like they wont be locking down oldies...or thats the grapevine.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Wonfor View Post
    I get bored seen all the "Fringe" watched all Star Trek, "the Good Doctor" Just getting bored and now we old gits have to stay at home for months and months and that is going down well.
    Thank goodness I have loads of videos, and music.
    All hospital appointments stopped so no lovely nurses to sit and have coffee with a bummer time. Garden to wet so that is out. decorating done so that is on stop.

What it like with you Cagey ?
    Schools are closed, I have been asked to work from home, potentially going on one day a week to provide office cover.
    Meetings etc. are still going on, so I have lost the commute, but I am still able to work in the comfort of my own home.

We have a holiday planned in April to go to Scotland, but I think that will be cancelled.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Geoff.

I've been phoning round cancelling hospital follow-up appointments after my recent illness. One of them is not answering and insists on playng music at me. I'll see if I can email them.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Colin.

And get them to change the music, Grateful Dead is the wrong type honest.

I'm Mike.

That looks awesome Colin, fantastic work, how much would the like of that cost?

Not that I'm in the market..... I don't think

I'm openingabottleofwine.

What is the maximum voltage swing at the output? How do they behave into largely reactive loads (i.e. electrostatic speakers)?
    Barry

I'm Colin.

PK to PK is about 58V into 8R + 10uF 400V polycarb at 10Hz to 22KHz a silly load then two 10uF in series = 5uF and nasty phase changes no change.

Oh fuses removed and s/c .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast