+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: When to MM or MM a curious thing, I've been playing again

I'm martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    Dear me, Martin; this seems like a bookkeeper's approach to recorded music !
    Hi Mike, thanks for the notes on sound signatures and tonearm matching.

Just to answer the bookkeeper's approach - I'm introducing the Agile methodology into my Hifi hobby ;-). Quick iterations, speed matching components and getting rid of anything that doesn't really impress me.
    It has to be 3 systems - an idler, belt and DD and the idea is to have multi tonearm setup and dedicated rigs for genres and for particular records. I'm moving away from anything suspended because I don't want to be eternally tweaking.

I know exactly what I'm looking for in terms of the sound - low distortion, low fatigue, good bass and don't care much about realistic cymbals and perfect imaging and various other sub-atomic components of the sound taken in isolation.

It has to be a full bodied, moving sound that is very intimate. The main thing in my philosophy is that I don't want a system which plays a few select records really, really well. I want a system (systems) that plays most of my records very well. I don't want to be stunned by an odd track - it has to be consistently pleasing. Very important is that I can grab any opera recording and not have my wife screaming to turn the volume down ;-)

That's why I'm attacking all the legendary cartridges in order to find not THE ONE, but a bunch of cartridges that would fit my multiple genres objective and still satisfy the above criteria. Then the tonearms :-(

I'm Mike.

Martin, of the cart's I've had, admittedly on different decks, arms and with varying degrees of amplification/ speaker systems, the one I put right up there at the top is my current Proteus. The precursors included Linn Karma, Roksan Shiraz, Lyra Clavis and Helikon, Koetsu Blk. Goldline and Urushi Vermillion and Benz Ebony LP over, say, a 35 year period.

The reason that I rate this cart. (and its lesser siblings) is the sheer transparency. It simply doesn't have a tonal signature. Unfortunately, Immutable Studios is no more, but occasionally a Phoenix or Phoenix S comes up as n.o.s. or v. low hours. Transfig's are happy in medium mass arms, too I have a fair classical collection, sadly many of which were too well played or bought used, and found the Benz and Transfig. exc. for this genre; the former being very slightly warmer. Just my take, of course, as deck, arm and phono stage alone are intrinsic parts of the whole, as you know.

My long-held aspiration for a stone-bodied K started receding when K prices started going through the roof when the £ devalued. However, haven't seen one for sale for the best part of a long time !

I'm martin.

Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely look up the Proteus. I'd also like to experience some Koetsu goodness, but at the moment trying to work my way down the original hitlist.
    I feel that the ikeda will be difficult to source at a reasonable price. it does intrigue me immensely though.

Default MM

For what it's worth I've recently owned a Koetsu mc, Hana mc and currently a Goldring 1022gx mm.

MM Goldring with valve phono stage does it for me.
    Kev.

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty67 View Post
    For what it's worth I've recently owned a Koetsu mc, Hana mc and currently a Goldring 1022gx mm.

MM Goldring with valve phono stage does it for me.
    Apparently the Goldring 1042 is a cracking mm cart and a bit of a bargain as well, from what I've heard and read, so might would be worth seeking when/if you get the itch.

I've read from users on forums that it is sensitive to set up which doesn't surprise me as it has a Fritz Gyger S stylus tip on it, which has what they call a sophisticated stylus profile.

In my experience, with these sophisticated profiles, once you've nailed set up you'll be pretty amazed and blown away
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Andre.

I thought the '1042' was a bit bright, why i prefer the new 'E3'.

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Made in 1968 View Post
    I thought the '1042' was a bit bright, why i prefer the new 'E3'.
    Never heard or read it described as bright Andre, In fact quite the opposite as in neutral, which is how the Fritz Gyger S stylus profile on my re-tipped Cadenza Black presents, absolutely neutral and spot on in terms of tonal balance

http://www.audioreview.com/product/a...ng/g-1042.html

https://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/g1042e.html

https://www.vinylengine.com/cartridg...ing&model=1042
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Andre.

Was deffo a tad bright to my ears Rob

I'm neil.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    Apparently the Goldring 1042 is a cracking mm cart and a bit of a bargain as well, from what I've heard and read, so might would be worth seeking when/if you get the itch.

I've read from users on forums that it is sensitive to set up which doesn't surprise me as it has a Fritz Gyger S stylus tip on it, which has what they call a sophisticated stylus profile.

In my experience, with these sophisticated profiles, once you've nailed set up you'll be pretty amazed and blown away
    I had a Goldring 1042 a long while ago thoroughly enjoyed it
    - I do love the Cadenza Black a cracking Cart

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by enrae8 View Post
    ........I do love the Cadenza Black a cracking Cart
    I used to run a Cadenza Black but to my surprise it has been bettered by a Hana ML at nearly half the price.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast