+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caiman SEG fully modded by Stan, together with Dorado 2

I'm Paul.

Default Caiman SEG fully modded by Stan, together with Dorado 2

I have just bought a Beresford Caiman SEG and after helpful email comments from Stan at Beresford speced it with all possible upgrades (except the phono plugs) together with the Dorado 2.

After listening for 4 days I can say that the sound quality is very good, much better than the DAC in my CD player (MF A1 cd pro) and the DAC I used to use.
    The soundstage is different from what I am used to, I think more natural, the instruments are more "together". Perhaps not impressive after a quick listen but definitely better in the long term.
    Although there is considerably less digital harshness than before with the old DAC I still notice a little in the treble area, this has reduced with more "run-in" time. This could well be due to my 30 year old power amps that have not you been recapped.

All in all a worthwhile investment.

I shall be trying the Caiman out in 4 modes in the next week, with/without Dorado, with/without preamp and will post my impressions later.

Paul

I'm Martyn.

Having only recently, through this wonderful Forum, discovered the Caiman I'm keen to hear more of your thoughts on performance and especially the benefit of the Dorado.

From the comments I've read to date it delivers way above it's price point, which for a tightfisted skin flint like me is like winning the lottery!!

Sent from my motorola one using Tapatalk

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Poldark View Post
    Having only recently, through this wonderful Forum, discovered the Caiman I'm keen to hear more of your thoughts on performance and especially the benefit of the Dorado.

From the comments I've read to date it delivers way above it's price point, which for a tightfisted skin flint like me is like winning the lottery!!

I have a Caiman Seg with Dorado that I use with a Sony Blu-Ray player as CD transport, RPI/Hifiberry SPDIF for streaming. I used to use it with a Meridian 508 CDP but to be honest the Sony and Caiman is just as good. It produces great results using USB with a Mac connected to it as well. I have also found the headphone out SQ to be very good.

I had considered moving to an all in one box steaming solution where I could use the streamer as a DAC as well, but after some investigation I decided that SQ wise it would probably be a step backwards for a large outlay, and would also loose out on flexibility.

A great piece of kit IMO.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Kevin.

The upgrades take it a step further up the SQ ladder.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    The upgrades take it a step further up the SQ ladder.
    Hi Kevin, which upgrades are you referring to please?
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Kevin.

Main system CMOS clock upgrade
    USB CMOS clock upgrade for lower USB jitter
    RCA/PHONO sockets upgrade
    Latest firmware (SEG 42)
    Pre-amp/headphone output upgrade

My DAC was already super-capped and had been fitted with a Capella chip.
    Kevin

I'm Martyn.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    Main system CMOS clock upgrade
    USB CMOS clock upgrade for lower USB jitter
    RCA/PHONO sockets upgrade
    Latest firmware (SEG 42)
    Pre-amp/headphone output upgrade

My DAC was already super-capped and had been fitted with a Capella chip.
    Are these all current add-on options to the existing Caiman SEG, or are some/all upgrades to the older Caiman models.

I may have misunderstood the online shop, but isn't SEG-42 the existing firmware, so not a necessary add-on for newly shipped units?

Appreciate your time and information.

I'm Kevin.

The SEG-42 was the latest firmware at the time I got the upgrades done. I think that if you buy a new SEG it comes with the latest firmware.

The rest of the upgrades are for the SEG. They may be suitable for a Caiman, but Stan will be the best to answer that question.
    Kevin

The Caiman MKII has far fewer modification options. The supercaps and the CMOS clock are the main ones.

I'm Giovanni.

Which are the available upgrades for my SEG bought end of 2018 along with the Dorado?

Grazie

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast