+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice/Opinions sought - DAC/Streamer choice

I'm Martyn.

Default Advice/Opinions sought - DAC/Streamer choice

Thought I'd trawl the vast knowledge & experience of the assembled members, for ideas and advice (pretty please!)

I'm pretty new to streaming and want to gain access to my slowly growing FLAC repository on the PC and one of the quality services (Tidal, Amazon, Spotify), plus internet radio that I often listen to.

Anyway, having trawled AOS and YouTube (Darko and others) I have (to date) come up with three "solutions" and I'm never going to be able to do any comparison before buying.

I am cost conscious (tight, some would say!) so I'm erring to the budget end, but clearly understand there maybe big benefits from not necessarily a huge budget increase.

Please tell me if there are other/better options within similar budgets, plus point out any mistakes I'm about to make.

I'm after Pre/DAC/Streamer solution to feed existing power amp & speakers, I like the idea of MQA but not sure I'd pay for the Premium subscription (should I make sure I do?)

Option 1 Pro-ject S2 DAC & S2 Streamer (£450)

Option 2 Marantz NA6006 (£300)

Option 3. Raspberry Pi 3B+ & Hiberry DAC + (£100)

As I'm Monitor Audio fan I like musicality over ultimate clarity, I would expect the Marantz to work well and would be a user-friendly one box solution.

The DIY appeal of the RPi appeals to me, as well as cost savings, but would be harder for my wife to accommodate, but IF (big one) it will perform close to the Marantz then maybe work is required here.

The Pro-ject I'm sure is good value, but would really stretch me financially, so I'd like to be sure it would deliver significantly more than the Marantz.

For info I currently use a NAD C340 amp to Kef Coda 7, but will soon swap the speakers to Monitor Audio R700Gold that are currently in Brittany.

Hope this isn't a "how long is a piece of string" question, happy to have any suggestions and ideas.

Sent from my motorola one using Tapatalk

I'm Grant.

I use a quad vena 2. Good dac and overall a good amp. I use mine as a pre. They do a streaming version too. Will be over your budget but it's a good setup.
    Sure the project will be OK. I've their ds2 phono stage
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Maybe needs moved out of beresford tho unless it's only beresford your after
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martyn.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Maybe needs moved out of beresford tho unless it's only beresford your after
    Apologies, my first post, could an Admin please move to the most suitable forum

I'm Grant.

Hopefully it's now in right place
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Lawrence.

I'm using a pi with better external dac (MDac in my case), I'd recommend an RPi with a Topping, or similar USB dac with its own power supply. Costs a bit more than the cheapest option but might sound better than all of them.

I'm Gary.

https://www.richersounds.com/brands/...amplifier.html

This may fit the bill too.

I’ve just started using MusicCast and very impressed, multi room capability as well.

Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Martyn.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    https://www.richersounds.com/brands/...amplifier.html

This may fit the bill too.

I’ve just started using MusicCast and very impressed, multi room capability as well.

Gary
    Thanks Gary seems similar in functionality and options to the Marantz.

I've read some negative comments about the Musicast App against the HEOS in the Marantz and I'm also attracted to the display the Marantz offers, but good to have another option.

What I'd really like to understand is where, sonically these mainstream brand streamers sit against the RPi + DAC Hat options - anyone have any ideas please?

I'm Rob.

With streaming, I would emphasis how important the software is. To be honest, I think it's the key factor that is going to determine whether you enjoy the streaming experience or not. It is probably why Roon is making such headway. Also it is worth considering how you intend interacting with the streamer:

From a laptop browser - For this the Raspberry Pi interfaces are actually as good as anything. They are easy to use and work well. The hard(ish) part of the Raspberry Pi solutions is setting them up. Once set up, they are as easy to use as any other solution - especially if you are happy to access them via a computer browser.

From a phone/tablet - For this type of access the quality of the app is key, and it's what systems like Yamaha's MultiCast, and Bluesounds' BluOS bring to the party. For me, it was the death-nail for my Marantz NA-7004 - the software for which was just crap. For many streamers you can use BubbleUPNP which is good, but not quite as good as some of the dedicated solutions can be.

From the player front panel - To be honest, I've not had a system that's done this well. The Logitech Squeezebox Touch is probably the best know attempt to provide this (I've not used one myself), but most systems designers seem to have accepted that using a phone/tablet as the main interface is a lot easier. Nowadays - I think front panels should be consider a secondary input (useful for displaying information about the currently track and basic operations like stop and start play).

Another important question is whether you only want to stream in one place at a time, or to multiple places around the house. This is what the dedicated streamer/speaker solutions like Yamaha's Multicast bring. It's very difficult to do with Raspberry Pi and BubbleUPNP type solutions.

My main streamer is a Moon Mind 180 that for me is the perfect combination of nice to use software interface with very good quality sound, and this is connected to my main Hi-Fi. I have a backup of using BubbleUPNP directly to my Melco (which is my main storage device). I also use BubbleUPNP to stream to some of the devices I have around the house (Roberts radios mainly) which works fine, but only one device at a time. I also have some uPNP software on my laptops and PCs that allow me to stream music via them. The main thing I can't do at the moment is stream simultaneously to many endpoints, which means I am considered something like the Yamaha WXC50
    Rob.