+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Phast / Phase Style 6SN7 pre and 6C33 triode mono blocks

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Robert.

Default Phast / Phase Style 6SN7 pre and 6C33 triode mono blocks

Phast / Phase Style 6SN7 pre and 6C33 triode mono blocks

Bought off Jake recently, link to the original thread here: (sorry it is a link to another HiFi forum)

https://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/...re-amp.236285/

I was quick off the mark to secure these and glad I did. They are superb! However, I’ve already been tempted away with an amp that allows me to box drop by 4 (in place of 1).

So my plan was to keep these and as such I’ve thrown money at them and they’ve responded better than I thought they would. A good sign of A good design! Explained below.

I’m splitting the sale as ‘pre’ and then both ‘mono’s’.

Regarding the monos’s:
    6C33 singles ended - love these! Pre tube is a 6SL7 and driver tube a 6SN7.

•What I’ve done to these is on the mains input it now sports a Synergistic Research Black fuse.
    •Fuse to tube (and where the biasing is set) is now a Wilbrand Acoustics Silver fuse. These fuses use a copper element which is silver plated and the tube is then filled with ceramic material for mechanical stability.

•I’ve dropped in a new set of 6C33’s and reset the bias so good to go. Maybe 30 hours use so far.
    •As you can see all the tubes have been coated with Audio Magic Black Out Paint which does come off with water. I found the paint dropped the noise floor a little bit - each to their own.

•I also upgraded the rectifier tube from the original Russian variety to Brimar’s. So as this amp was factory upgraded and sports new tubes you are good to go for many years. Also Audio Magic Paint treated.

Price for the mono’s (bearing in mind the updates and upgrades):
    £800 for the pair

Pre is now a different story!
    An amazing and transparent preamp. It too has been updated. It was factory upgraded in 2014 to include Jantzen Silver caps, but this has been taken a few steps beyond.

•IEC input is now a Furutech gold type
    •Fuse is a Synergistic Research Blue type
    •Tubes upgraded to a NOS pair of Kenrad JAN CKR 6SN7GT black glass (1943) - impressive tubes.
    •Coupling caps now Mundorf Supreme Silver Gold
    •Output caps now Milflex pure copper foil types
    •Other signal caps that were electrolytic types are now of the film variety and a pair of associated resistors upgraded from cheap Russian types to Amtrans AMRG types.
    •The ground decoupling cap upgraded to a Mundorf.
    •Some Soundcoat dampening material applied to the chassis.
    •I have an upgraded gold pin variety for the rectifier tube. I’ve not yet added it to the pre but will be included.
    •I went a step further and contact Phast direct who made me the volume remote control hand set in what they call exotic wood.

So some cash invested and the pre sounds amazing!

Price for pre:
    £650

Collection or meet up please.

Photos:

Phast’s own website:
    http://en.phast.com.ua/#slide1

Some original pics (before mods - from original sale):

https://www.ebayphotogallery.com/zdj...ers/10461832/9

Link showing the innards of an original set:
    http://spart.trioda.com/index.php/en...d-preamplifier

I'm Robert.

Update and bump

Power amps:
    Cleaned the tubes on the monoblocks so you can get that valve glow now
    No more*Audio Magic paint.
    18w per channel.

Pre:
    Took out the Herbies tube dampers*and won’t include the extra rectifier tube.

Therefore price drop - send in an offer

Last edited by Open Door; 28-03-2020 at 09:20.

I'm John.

What's the output on this pair of beauties?

I'm Robert.

Good question
    18W per amp. I’ve amended the above post.

I’ve also now taken out the SR fuses and replaced them with Wilbrand. These as made in Germany, have a silver plated element (3x lower resistance than standard fuses) and the tube is filled with ceramic material for mechanical stability. I have done the same to the pre. Therefore

Monoblocks £700
    Pre £600

I'm Robert.

Mono blocks gone :^

Willing to do a deal on the pre

I'm Vince.

The remote looks very like Bulletwood. It's that hard that it blunts tools, both hand tools and power tools very quickly. It's also, so dense that it sinks in water. One things for sure, it won't dent easily, (you are gonna need a hammer).
    I made 2 mono block amplifier cases out of Bulletwood and what I thought was going to be a days work ended up being 4-5 days.
    It's like working with steel.
    The mono-blocks sounded a lot, lot better in the Bullet wood than they did in their metal cases. I'm putting it down to just soaking up vibration and not passing it onto the amp boards.
    Glws

+ Reply to Thread