+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My experience cleaning a Stylus

I'm Adrian.

Default My experience cleaning a Stylus

I have been intending to put this up for the last couple of weeks but issues at home delayed it, I hope it is of some use to some of you.

I have a Michel Cusis cartridge (a Benz Micro Wood S in a composite body) which has done about 700 hours. The cartridge is extremely good producing a very natural, neutral musical sound. However some months ago I began to become concerned that it might be nearing the end of its life as I noted that its sound had become a little dulled and was possibly loosing some detail. So I got some pennies together and purchased a Benz Micro LP-S, which is great.

As many say a modern stylus should be good for around 1500 hours I wanted to check the Cusis out, so I purchased a usb magnifying camera. After much fiddling about and practice I managed to get a good picture of the stylus at various angles and even though I regularly clean it with a recommended stylus carbon brush I could see it was filthy with what looked like a black coating on it. I went on to read several articles on the net and many confirmed my findings and advised very careful cleaning using a none alcoholic cleaning liquid. Several recommended using neat L'Art du Son on an ear bud lightly dampened with it, which I already had.

I supported the cartridge (off the arm) so that the stylus cantilever pointed downwards and very gently applied the ear bud to the stylus tip on the cantilever, I did this several times and examined the stylus with the usb magnifying camera, after about 3 goes. What I found was that the black gunge was VERY stubborn to remove. It took about 12 applications of the ear bud. Afterwards I could clearly see the side profile of the stylus and with the usb magnifying camera light shiny directly done on it the diamond actually shone and was no longer dull.

If you do this yourself be sure not to put any pressure on the stylus cantilever, just gently touch the stylus tip with the ear bud.

I popped the cartridge back, carefully set up the arm and immediately the difference was obvious, it now sounded like it had when nearly new, lots of detail, musical and not in the least bit dull. I will continue to use it and check regularly.

So this may well be worth considering with your stylus before you right it off, obviously I would recommend you be guided by what the manufacturer advises on likely stylus life playing clean good records. If you are not sure then I would get it examined with a microscope. It should be noted that different cuts of stylus profile do have a different life expectancy.

By the way all my records are meticulously cleaned before I play them, but as various articles say, microscopic dust and dirt will always get into the groove and with the heat generated from the stylus passing through the groove the black gunge will eventually build up on the stylus.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm steve.

I’ve been using an Audio Technica vibrating stylus cleaner for over 30 years and have found it capable of clearing any buildup of crud on the stylus, the originally supplied cleaning fluid was used up decades ago, since then I’ve used a 70%/30% mix of distilled water and isopropyl alcohol which I’ve found works very well, you just need to remember to put a soft wedge under the platter edge to stop it moving while the cleaning cycle is done, I’ve found 20 seconds or so gets the stylus perfectly clean.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Dave.

Many years ago, on a busy Saturday, we had a customer burst into the shop and dumped his complete system on the floor. "No left channel and I want my money back" was all we got as he stormed off to park his car. We took it all rapidly down into the demo room and plugged it in to hear what the problem was before Mr.Angry returned.

Sure enough there was no left channel, just the merest hint of noise. Fortunately, I had the presence of mind to look at the stylus and discovered a big ball of fluff on the end. A two second wipe with a brush and the fluff fell off and the left channel was restored.

To say that Mr Angry was embarrassed in front of his Wife and a shop full of amused customers is an understatement. We helped him load it all back in the car..

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z View Post
    I’ve been using an Audio Technica vibrating stylus cleaner for over 30 years and have found it capable of clearing any buildup of crud on the stylus, the originally supplied cleaning fluid was used up decades ago, since then I’ve used a 70%/30% mix of distilled water and isopropyl alcohol which I’ve found works very well, you just need to remember to put a soft wedge under the platter edge to stop it moving while the cleaning cycle is done, I’ve found 20 seconds or so gets the stylus perfectly clean.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I had one of those cleaners years ago and it was brilliant, the little light was very helpful too. God knows what happened to it, lost somewhere along the way.
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    I have been intending to put this up for the last couple of weeks but issues at home delayed it, I hope it is of some use to some of you.

I have a Michel Cusis cartridge (a Benz Micro Wood S in a composite body) which has done about 700 hours. The cartridge is extremely good producing a very natural, neutral musical sound. However some months ago I began to become concerned that it might be nearing the end of its life as I noted that its sound had become a little dulled and was possibly loosing some detail. So I got some pennies together and purchased a Benz Micro LP-S, which is great.

As many say a modern stylus should be good for around 1500 hours I wanted to check the Cusis out, so I purchased a usb magnifying camera. After much fiddling about and practice I managed to get a good picture of the stylus at various angles and even though I regularly clean it with a recommended stylus carbon brush I could see it was filthy with what looked like a black coating on it. I went on to read several articles on the net and many confirmed my findings and advised very careful cleaning using a none alcoholic cleaning liquid. Several recommended using neat L'Art du Son on an ear bud lightly dampened with it, which I already had.

I supported the cartridge (off the arm) so that the stylus cantilever pointed downwards and very gently applied the ear bud to the stylus tip on the cantilever, I did this several times and examined the stylus with the usb magnifying camera, after about 3 goes. What I found was that the black gunge was VERY stubborn to remove. It took about 12 applications of the ear bud. Afterwards I could clearly see the side profile of the stylus and with the usb magnifying camera light shiny directly done on it the diamond actually shone and was no longer dull.

If you do this yourself be sure not to put any pressure on the stylus cantilever, just gently touch the stylus tip with the ear bud.

I popped the cartridge back, carefully set up the arm and immediately the difference was obvious, it now sounded like it had when nearly new, lots of detail, musical and not in the least bit dull. I will continue to use it and check regularly.

So this may well be worth considering with your stylus before you right it off, obviously I would recommend you be guided by what the manufacturer advises on likely stylus life playing clean good records. If you are not sure then I would get it examined with a microscope. It should be noted that different cuts of stylus profile do have a different life expectancy.

By the way all my records are meticulously cleaned before I play them, but as various articles say, microscopic dust and dirt will always get into the groove and with the heat generated from the stylus passing through the groove the black gunge will eventually build up on the stylus.
    Adrian, this is a very good WRITE up on a common problem, and as Benz only use glue to fix their styli, IPA mix is a bit dodgy (though I used it once or twice, diluted, on my Ebony LP). I'd love to follow your example in getting a USB thingy but think it would be a bit beyond my (computer/digital) skills.

I've never used a cotton bud, preferring a truncated (cut short) camel hair artist's brush, as cotton buds can unravel and catch and you need steady hands. Unfortunately, I have fixed headshells, so the occasional cleaning is done in situ or when I change cart's, which nowadays is almost never!

A forum friend, who's had some pretty high end cart's (incl. the Ebony), has the LPS, and loves it; thinks it really is a cut above the other Benzes.

B.t.w, (hope you don't mind), loose (adj) means not tight. To lose is to mislay (one 'o'). Also, it's NON alcoholic, NON stick etc., not none (non = prefix; none = not one).

The AT 630 or whatever electronic cleaner is very good, and lasts a lifetime (I have one) but i.m.experience, unless you use it frequently and, indeed, pretty regularly, it won't clear crud once it's congealed. A liquid and painstaking/delicate/persistent brushing or whatever is the only remedy. If I didn't have a Proteus (and a K. Vermillion in my drawer!) I'd def. go for an LPS, as I like what Benzes do.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post

B.t.w, (hope you don't mind), loose (adj) means not tight. To lose is to mislay (one 'o'). Also, it's NON alcoholic, NON stick etc., not none (non = prefix; none = not one).
    Hi Mike, You caught me out, I am an uneducated grammar school boy who scrapped a D in English O-Level and D in English Literature, but got a A in Mathematics. Speaking and writing proper is not my forté I'm afraid. No offence taken, I am open to constructive criticism even at my age.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    The AT 630 or whatever electronic cleaner is very good, and lasts a lifetime (I have one) but i.m.experience, unless you use it frequently and, indeed, pretty regularly, it won't clear crud once it's congealed. A liquid and painstaking/delicate/persistent brushing or whatever is the only remedy. If I didn't have a Proteus (and a K. Vermillion in my drawer!) I'd def. go for an LPS, as I like what Benzes do.
    I would recommend the LP-S greatly and I know a very helpful supplier who can offer an extremely good price if you are interested, but need to do so before the EU and the VAT thing gets sorted out.

Cheers
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Andre.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    Many years ago, on a busy Saturday, we had a customer burst into the shop and dumped his complete system on the floor. "No left channel and I want my money back" was all we got as he stormed off to park his car. We took it all rapidly down into the demo room and plugged it in to hear what the problem was before Mr.Angry returned.

Sure enough there was no left channel, just the merest hint of noise. Fortunately, I had the presence of mind to look at the stylus and discovered a big ball of fluff on the end. A two second wipe with a brush and the fluff fell off and the left channel was restored.

To say that Mr Angry was embarrassed in front of his Wife and a shop full of amused customers is an understatement. We helped him load it all back in the car..
    That could have very easily been me, cos thats how i go about such things. In my early days though i have been know to put the window thru throwing HiFi instaed

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z View Post
    I have the Goldring equivalent and have used it occasionally. It is heavy enough so it doesn't 'meander' when used. I used to put one drop of neat IPA on the carbon-fibre bristle pad, but would suggest you always check this is OK with the manufacturer, as some recommend that solvents are not used at all.

These days I find that playing clean records (cleaned using an RCM) and giving them a 'wipe' with an carbon fibre record cleaner when put on the turntable before cueing, the stylus rarely becomes dirty. If anything, the most that can happen is some accumulation of fluff on the stylus; easily removed using a small artist's paintbrush.

I also think a stylus lifetime of 1,500 hours is optimistic and regard 500 hours as more realistic. 500 hours corresponds to playing 750 LPs before a retip. The fastidious can use a hand clicker to record the number of plays.
    Barry

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I have the Goldring equivalent and have used it occasionally. It is heavy enough so it doesn't 'meander' when used. I used to put one drop of neat IPA on the carbon-fibre bristle pad, but would suggest you always check this is OK with the manufacturer, as some recommend that solvents are not used at all.

These days I find that playing clean records (cleaned using an RCM) and giving them a 'wipe' with an carbon fibre record cleaner when put on the turntable before cueing, the stylus rarely becomes dirty. If anything, the most that can happen is some accumulation of fluff on the stylus; easily removed using a small artist's paintbrush.

I also think a stylus lifetime of 1,500 hours is optimistic and regard 500 hours as more realistic. 500 hours corresponds to playing 750 LPs before a retip. The fastidious can use a hand clicker to record the number of plays.
    I think stylus life is a lot dependant on the diamond quality, budget MM cartridges tend to have stones which under a magnifier look akin to a bit of coal, they tend to not last very long but are easy enough to replace. MCs which have fixed stylus assemblies tend to come with finely polished, clear, gemstone quality diamonds which will generally last a good deal longer particularly if records are of good quality and in a good state of cleanliness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm openingabottleofwine.

The more exotic the stylus profile and its corresponding contact footprint with the groove wall, the more wear suffered by the stylus. And if a grain orientated diamond is used, the stylus lifetime is further reduced.

I wouldn't dream of expecting a top quality stylus to last playing 1,500 LPs.

One has to accept that when playing vinyl the stylus is a consumable, and is all part of the 'running cost' in a quality system.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast