+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The local council and trees

I'm Alex.

Default The local council and trees

I looking for some advice here.

My house was built just after WW2, I have just bought it from my late parent’s estate. About 12 years ago I reported to the local council that a tree in the road was damaging our boundary wall. There is a history of several other trees that used to be nearby also damaging this wall (quite a long wall), but there was not contact by us to the council.

The council denied any responsibility and said that the wall was not built properly to the latest regulations.

Now the tree has damaged the wall further, and the roots have entered my garden under the wall and is lifting the patio a fair amount and has destroyed part of a dwarf wall.. The tree is so tall it’s branches overhang my house gutters, and drops it’s leaves in them, I believe causing further problems.

A surveyor will charge for a report I don’t mind paying for this if I can definitely reclaim from the council.

I would like a simple and effective way of dealing with the council. For various reasons I cannot claim on the house buildings insurance.

Many thanks in advance.
    Last edited by spendorman; 12-03-2020 at 13:56.
    Spendorman

I'm Andre.

Not much help im afraid but me being me i would cut the tree down unless they did something about it. Its clearly getting unsafe by the sounds of it.

I'm Grant.

A tree is the responsibility and property of the landowner on whose land it is growing, and that landowner may be liable for any damage caused by the tree. ... If a tree is growing on a public footpath or highway the local council is responsible for any damage caused by the tree or its roots.
    If a tree is growing on a public footpath or highway the local council is responsible for any damage caused by the tree or its roots. This is true whether or not the council actually planted the tree — even if the tree self-seeded or was planted by someone else.

You could employ an arboricultural contractor to examine the tree and your wall, and to report on the situation. If, in the opinion of the arboriculturist, the damage has been caused by the tree roots, then with the permission of the arboriculturist you could submit that report to the council to support a claim in respect of the damage to your wall.

Alternatively you could contact your buildings insurers and ask them to investigate the damage and collect evidence to support a claim against your local authority on your behalf.

https://www.homesandproperty.co.uk/p...sed-30459.html
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Made in 1968 View Post
    Not much help im afraid but me being me i would cut the tree down unless they did something about it. Its clearly getting unsafe by the sounds of it.
    Lol! I'd be tempted, but I don't want free board and lodging at HMP!
    Spendorman

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    A tree is the responsibility and property of the landowner on whose land it is growing, and that landowner may be liable for any damage caused by the tree. ... If a tree is growing on a public footpath or highway the local council is responsible for any damage caused by the tree or its roots.
    If a tree is growing on a public footpath or highway the local council is responsible for any damage caused by the tree or its roots. This is true whether or not the council actually planted the tree — even if the tree self-seeded or was planted by someone else.

You could employ an arboricultural contractor to examine the tree and your wall, and to report on the situation. If, in the opinion of the arboriculturist, the damage has been caused by the tree roots, then with the permission of the arboriculturist you could submit that report to the council to support a claim in respect of the damage to your wall.

Alternatively you could contact your buildings insurers and ask them to investigate the damage and collect evidence to support a claim against your local authority on your behalf.

https://www.homesandproperty.co.uk/p...sed-30459.html
    Where would I find a good arboricultural contractor? I cannot claim on the insurance, or even contact them for various reasons.

I do have a survey on the house done about 2 years ago that indicates that damage may have been caused by this tree.
    Spendorman

I'm Grant.

yellow pages, internet i guess..http://www.myerstreeservices.co.uk/
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Are the tree roots lifting the pavement outside the house? If so call ambulance chasing law firm and claim you tripped on them and sue the council for damages. Council will settle out of court and then send some men round to chop the tree down so no-one else can pull the same trick.

That's how it works round here and now we have no trees.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Are the tree roots lifting the pavement outside the house? If so call ambulance chasing law firm and claim you tripped on them and sue the council for damages. Council will settle out of court and then send some men round to chop the tree down so no-one else can pull the same trick.

That's how it works round here and now we have no trees.
    Yes, pavement has been lifted by the roots, council replaced the pavement with tarmac.
    Spendorman

I'm Steve.

I was going to suggest drilling holes in the trunk and filling holes with diesel, but Macca's idea sounds so much better
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    I was going to suggest drilling holes in the trunk and filling holes with diesel, but Macca's idea sounds so much better
    Probably fall on his house. Lol.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast