+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Turntable mats, the good, the crap and the overpriced.

I'm Michael.

I have been using a Ringmat on my 401 for more years than I can remember. I would unreservedly recommend it. I have the MRA version.

I'm Paul.

Turntable mats are what I consider to be the Achilles heel of a vinyl system, my current ribbed rubber one does a great job.
    HI-FI SYSTEM:-
    Revox B250 Amp.
    Revox PR 99 mk2 R2R.
    Revox B126 C/D Player.
    Yamaha GT2000 T/Table with Shure MKIV Cartridge and Jeco VN-45HE SAS/R Stylus.
    Bang & Olufsen Beolab18's and the 19 Sub Speakers.

A/V 5.1 System :-
    Soundsend Wisa box.
    Harmen Kardon front and rear satellite.
    Legend 10.2 Silverback Active Centre.

I'm Andre.

Aye everyone loves a ribbed rubber

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Cas View Post
    After tinkering with a few different mats a few years and finding that there could be a difference from mat to mat
    I suddenly realised what is/could be happening. Mats tried where of varying thickness, therefore when used the VTA
    was being changed, so when trying different mats what I feel should be done is to reset the VTA each time to allow
    for mat thickness, just a thought.
    Correcting for VTA/SRA when changing mats goes without saying.
    Barry

I'm steve.

One mat that doesn’t seem to have had a mention is the Origin Live Upgrade Mat, I’ve had and used one for a number of years on a variety of different turntables with platters of different materials. I first used it on a couple of Project decks, a Debut Carbon (pressed steel platter) and a Genie RPM 1.3 (coated MDF platter) in both cases replacing the supplied thin felt platter mat, in both instances there was an improvement to the sound quality of both turntables, tighter bass, more detailed and transparent midband and cleaner treble. Didn’t need to make any adjustments for vta as the mat was exactly the same thickness as the basic Project felt mat (about 1mm). OL don’t reveal what the mat is composed of but development apparently took several years.
    I also tried it on an ATLP120 direct drive turntable but I used it on top of a 3mm cork mat, this was done to get the vta right, although the deck had adjustable arm height it couldn’t go low enough to get the arm parallel to the record. The mat supplied with the deck was a DJ style slip mat used for DJ scratching antics and was quite thick hence my having to use 2 mats together, sounded pretty good though. One nice benefit is it’s antistatic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Made in 1968 View Post
    Aye everyone loves a ribbed rubber

I was waiting for that one, But seriously if there was a mat out there that supported the centre and outer edge of the vinyl without making any contact with the vinyl then I believe that would be the answer, With my ribbed one it makes the least contact with the vinyl possible.
    HI-FI SYSTEM:-
    Revox B250 Amp.
    Revox PR 99 mk2 R2R.
    Revox B126 C/D Player.
    Yamaha GT2000 T/Table with Shure MKIV Cartridge and Jeco VN-45HE SAS/R Stylus.
    Bang & Olufsen Beolab18's and the 19 Sub Speakers.

A/V 5.1 System :-
    Soundsend Wisa box.
    Harmen Kardon front and rear satellite.
    Legend 10.2 Silverback Active Centre.

I'm mark.

Quote Originally Posted by p147 View Post
    I was waiting for that one, But seriously if there was a mat out there that supported the centre and outer edge of the vinyl without making any contact with the vinyl then I believe that would be the answer, With my ribbed one it makes the least contact with the vinyl possible.
    If you look at the DIN/RIAA spec of vinyl, the record rests on the edge lip and the record label. The playing surface isn't really in contact with the platter, but then we introduce dished mats and weights that push the record down ... Of course, thats not taking warps into account, nothings as simple as it looks.

http://www.aardvarkmastering.com/riaa.htm

FWIW, Funk Acromat has been my go-to mat for years, the red copper mat looked great but but didn't really add anything sonically, the Tenutu Gun metal however is a worthy upgrade.
    Value is always a personal thing, but talk to an engineer about getting a 297mm disc 5mm thick flat to an accuracy of 0.1mm and they'll be sweating

I'm openingabottleofwine.

".... but talk to an engineer about getting a 297mm disc 5mm thick flat to an accuracy of 0.1mm and they'll be sweating".

Really? Whilst not 'agricultural', it shouldn't be too much of a problem to an engineering workshop with a decent mill.
    Barry

I'm Nigel.

I use the Resomat.

https://www.trans-fi.com/resomat.htm

Incidentally, it was Marco's review a few years back that encouraged me to purchase one. Tried a number of different mats over the years.

I'm Chris.

I see mentioned the Origin Live Upgrade Mat, this thing costs as good as £40 and is just a thin mat of cork dyed black.

Snake oil ?

I would think so.
    Turntable : Project 2 Xperience Tone Arm & Cartridge : Project 9c Ortofon 2M Blue Phono Stage : Project Phono Box SE II Digital Source :Primare CD21 Integrated Amp : Primare I30 Speakers : ProAc 110 Headphones : Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro

Revox A77 MK IV 2 track 15 & 7 1/2 IPS
    TEAC A-3300SX 4 track 7 1/2 & 3 3/4 IPS
    Akai 4000DS MkII

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast